The best defender(s) to ever play for Rangers?

BlueBearz1990

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Inigo said:

Centre halves in order of preference...

Gough, Butcher, Moore, Amo, Cuellar, Bougherra, Weir, McLaren, Brown, Boumsong, MacPherson, Bjorklund.

Same for fullbacks...

Numan, Stevens, Hutton, Robertson, Ricksen, Munro, Brown, Vidmar, Porrini.

Probs forgetting some. Will add as they come to me.

Like goalkeepers, I think we've been pretty fortunate with defenders over the piece with the exception of the last few years. Whilst not world beaters I also felt that guys like Spackman, Andrews, Hendry, Kyrgiakos (sp), J Rod (for a spell), Papac, Berg (was a higher level but only here for a shorter spell), F De Boer (was a higher level but only here for a shorter spell), Cleland, Petric etc in addition to the ones you highlighted, did a job for us and i'd take any one of them right now!

Gough for me is the best i've seen, but as i've mentioned before in previous threads, one of the best defensive displays i've seen in an individual game was big Cuellar away in Florence. Just outstanding. Everything you want from a defender. Big, strong, courageous, defiant, fast, brave, great in the air, decent on the floor. Really loved the big guy.

We really have had a great run with defenders (although admittedly there's been the odd one or two who haven't quite reached the heights we'd have hoped). Hopefully we can rectify it pretty soon. We certainly need to........

1 minute ago, Laudrup1984 said:

Like goalkeepers, I think we've been pretty fortunate with defenders over the piece with the exception of the last few years. Whilst not world beaters I also felt that guys like Spackman, Andrews, Hendry, Kyrgiakos (sp), J Rod (for a spell), Papac, Berg (was a higher level but only here for a shorter spell), F De Boer (was a higher level but only here for a shorter spell), Cleland, Petric etc in addition to the ones you highlighted, did a job for us and i'd take any one of them right now!

Gough for me is the best i've seen, but as i've mentioned before in previous threads, one of the best defensive displays i've seen in an individual game was big Cuellar away in Florence. Just outstanding. Everything you want from a defender. Big, strong, courageous, defiant, fast, brave, great in the air, decent on the floor. Really loved the big guy.

We really have had a great run with defenders (although admittedly there's been the odd one or two who haven't quite reached the heights we'd have hoped). Hopefully we can rectify it pretty soon. We certainly need to........

Fuck sake you. You're embarrassing me with who i've forgotten.

I'll add them...

Jardine , gough , butcher , robertson

Only seen sandy jardine in his last 2 years at ibrox but still a great player then ,we let him go to early

,gary stevens was the best since then , stuart munro was a favourite of mine ,but davie robertson was a great player

Gough and butcher hard to beat in my time , colin jackson and tam forsyth were coming to the end of there time but still a fantastic to see those two play and be at their testemonials 

12 hours ago, The Godfather said:

Maybe not the greatest but I loved Craig Moore.

id kill for him to be in our defence right now

No-one fucked about with him and he wasn't scared to leave his marker.  Mind him fighting with Douglas at half time at the piggery in the 3-3 game. :lol: 

2 minutes ago, GOAT said:

No-one fucked about with him and he wasn't scared to leave his marker.  Mind him fighting with Douglas at half time at the piggery in the 3-3 game. :lol: 

Moore & Muscat would have went ahead with anycunt, the Australian Mitchell brothers.

In my lifetime, Amo Cuellar, Bougherra and Weir are the best centre halves we've had and I've had the pleasure of watching. Cuellar was incredible for us in 2008, 67 games he played (?) and was solid in about 60 of them, which tells its own story. 

That night in Florence he was like a man possessed, easily the best defensive display I have seen for Rangers, maybe even ever.