The best defender(s) to ever play for Rangers?

BlueBearz1990

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Nice to see someone beat me to Bobby Shearer. :lol: 

Harold Davis would on any list of great defenders as well. A true hero. 

Aye, forgot about him. Would be no use today, though; would set a record for red cards. Too physical for the powder puffs who go down at the slightest contact.

14 hours ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

Big Tam Forsyth - one or two better defenders already mentioned but I would have giving my eye teeth for him around a half an hour into the game on Saturday  

A no prisoners sort of chap. My hero ( alongside Colin Stein) 

11 hours ago, theblueoysterbar said:

Too many to choose from.

Papac deserves a mention. Left back and CB no problem to the guy. That game when he took a ball right in the face and then tried to play on... :praise:

CB no problem ? FFS one of the poorest in recent memory . His performances there alongside Svensson & Hemdani are the stuff of nightmares . Turned into a decent LB , but way behind Davie Robertson or Arthur Numan in that position .

For me John McClelland oozed class. One particular game against Dundee Utd back in the 80's at Ibrox he must have given Paul Sturrock a 10 yard start on him about half a dozen times and everytime he caught him and coolly slid in with a tackle that took the ball every time. Sturrock was beiling and Big John just shrugged his massive shoulders.

He could be caught out on the odd occasion but for me he was a magnificent defender and leader for a struggling team. The fall out with Wallace and the Board about what he and they thought he was worth was a sad end to his time at Ibrox.

Big Hero for me, and whilst Dawson and our Gregor could be horrific on any given game they bloody tried and that can't be said for some of the other defenders we have had over the years..

20 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Have to put a shout in for Eric Caldow. 

Bobby Shearer deserves a mention then.  Hard original question as we've been spoiled or choice.  Here's just a few.

RB - Johanson, Shearer, Jardine, Stevens

CD - Jackson, Mackinnon, Butcher, Gough, Amoruso, Derek Johnstone, Forsyth 9 (take any 2 from 8 right now)

LB Caldow, Robertson, GVB, Numan, Papac

Spoiled for choice, sadly none available at the moment.

1 minute ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Bobby Shearer deserves a mention then.  Hard original question as we've been spoiled or choice.  Here's just a few.

RB - Johanson, Shearer, Jardine, Stevens

CD - Jackson, Mackinnon, Butcher, Gough, Amoruso, Derek Johnstone, Forsyth 9 (take any 2 from 8 right now)

LB Caldow, Robertson, GVB, Numan, Papac

Spoiled for choice, sadly none available at the moment.

Mentioned Bobby later on along with Harold Davis. (tu) 

10 hours ago, Marky. said:

Marvin Andrews in his prime would walk into the team and boss it.

Inconsistent and made mistakes but was a rock on his day, and would have kept the belief and spirit going.

I'd take Andrews right now and the sad thing is I'm only slightly joking!