The best defender(s) to ever play for Rangers?

BlueBearz1990

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Cuellar perhaps had the best season I've seen a Rangers player have in '08. His European performances were at times seige defending at its finest.

The way he left though obviously sours the legend

Really?

He had a release cause and Villa triggered it. Not much we can do with that.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Virtually an impossible question to answer I think Gary Stevens is often overlooked I remember Richard Gough filling in at right back a couple of times for him and as good a player as Goughie was the team still missed GS and I can think of no higher tribute than that 

3 hours ago, WadeWilson said:

Nope. Advocaat was a massive underacheiver and one of the main reasons we are currently in the shit. He spent mega-millions and still got nowhere near.

Don't want to derail the thread... (the correct answer is Gough).... however I can't believe Rangers fans still regurgitate this pish. Advocaat has nothing to do with why we are in the shit. We are in the shit because we were the victim of a crime.... the propaganda has been so pervasive that our own fans believe it.

16 hours ago, Bakbear said:

Don't want to derail the thread... (the correct answer is Gough).... however I can't believe Rangers fans still regurgitate this pish. Advocaat has nothing to do with why we are in the shit. We are in the shit because we were the victim of a crime.... the propaganda has been so pervasive that our own fans believe it.

Okay then.

Murray didn't serially overspend. Advocaat was not involved in Murray's vanity project.

Advocaat wasn't allowed to spunk millions upon millions only to seriously underacheive in Europe.

They didn't waste any of those millions of pounds. Nope.

They didn't spend over £4.3m on Bert Konterman. They didn't spend £2m on an injured Dan Prodan. They didn't spend £3.5m on Guivarc'h. They didn't spend £5m on Colin Hendry. They didn't spend nearly £6m on Kanchelskis. They didn't spend over £6m on a journeyman like Michael Ball. They didn't spend £12m on Flo. They didn't even spend £2m on Jesper fucking Christiansen, the worst reserve goalkeeper since Ally Maxwell. Etc. Etc.

They didn't make a loss of £30m in the first transfer splurge. Nope. Nor did they make a loss of £25m on the season after next's transfer dealings.

McLeish wasn't brought in on the cheap to downsize because Murray started to see the shit hitting the fan.

We weren't left in the shit by Murray when the financial collapse happened and the banks would no longer bail us out.

Murray didn't punt the club like a hot potato to an absolute chancer.

I must have imagined all of it. None of it actually happened.

Thanks for clearing it up for me.

Or alternatively, some of us could actually face up to the stone cold facts and stop playing the victim.

4 hours ago, WadeWilson said:

Okay then.

Murray didn't serially overspend. Advocaat was not involved in Murray's vanity project.

Advocaat wasn't allowed to spunk millions upon millions only to seriously underacheive in Europe.

They didn't spend over £4.3m on Bert Konterman. They didn't spend £2m on an injured Dan Prodan. They didn't spend £3.5m on Guivarc'h. They didn't spend £5m on Colin Hendry. They didn't spend nearly £6m on Kanchelskis. They didn't spend over £6m on a journeyman like Michael Ball. They didn't spend £12m on Flo. They didn't even spend £2m on Jesper fucking Christiansen, the worst reserve goalkeeper since Ally Maxwell. Etc. Etc.

They didn't make a loss of £30m in the first transfer splurge. Nope. Nor did they make a loss of £25m on the season after next's transfer dealings.

McLeish wasn't brought in on the cheap to downsize because Murray started to see the shit hitting the fan.

We weren't left in the shit by Murray when the financial collapse happened and the banks would no longer bail us out.

Or alternatively, some of us could actually face up to the stone cold facts and stop playing the victim.

We did most of those things. 

Then despite doing all those things, we reduced the debt to 18 million. Which for a club of our size is perfectly manageable. 

Then we were hit with a mysterious witch hunt by HMRC attacking our club on a perfectly legal tax avoidance scheme and pledged to continue their pursuit in the face of all reason and made us a completely untouchable purchase when Murrays empire started to crumble so he ditched us to the first chancer to come along  

make no mistake our situation was completely avoidable and had nothing to do with advocaat

Your version of the "stone cold facts" sounds an awful lot like the last Tim I spoke to in the pub about our situation 

When he was on his game and concentrating, Amo was awesome. Physically imposing, not intimidated by any opposition. 

Remember as a kid sitting in ibrox  watching him head clearances away and being astounded as he seemed to head it half the length of the pitch!

8 hours ago, WadeWilson said:

Okay then.

The debt from the advocaat years played little or no part in our administration. 

Sounds like someone is acquiescing to the "Rangers bought leagues with money they didn't have narrative".

25 minutes ago, mrmojorisin said:

S Jardine  T Butcher  R Gough  D Robertson 

Was gonna add Stuart Munro..who i think was a phenominal athlete in his day 

Stuart Munro was a terrific left back , only behind Davie Robertson & Arthur Numan in that position the last 35 years . A testimony to his ability and consistency was the fact that he saw off the challenges of quite a few of Graeme Souness's buys to replace him ( Phillips, Bartram , Cowan & Vinnicombe) Bomber was another who played occasionally there . An underrated but important part of the title winning teams under GS .

8 minutes ago, Fred H Crawford said:

Stuart Munro was a terrific left back , only behind Davie Robertson & Arthur Numan in that position the last 35 years . A testimony to his ability and consistency was the fact that he saw off the challenges of quite a few of Graeme Souness's buys to replace him ( Phillips, Bartram , Cowan & Vinnicombe) Bomber was another who played occasionally there . An underrated but important part of the title winning teams under GS .

I guess we might be around the same vintage .....Stuart Muno was a superb player for us .a 90 minute player