Long Balls.

ronniescu

2 hours ago, scottyc06 said:

There's no teams that we come up against that require us to use long balls as a tactic. We should be able to outplay every team in this league with passing & movement.

Aye, why even bother watching any of the games. Just check the final score and continue playing FIFA. 

2 hours ago, scottyc06 said:

There's no teams that we come up against that require us to use long balls as a tactic. We should be able to outplay every team in this league with passing & movement.

When teams high press us which happens a lot now we should go long but we don't and get caught out. we need to change it up a bit at times.

1 minute ago, Smile said:

When teams high press us which happens a lot now we should go long but we don't and get caught out. we need to change it up a bit at times.

To be fair I've saw slight adjustments made by the coaching staff such as the players being more direct and corners actually being put in.

you have a good point though as small as garner is he does allows to go long some might even say a plan B

I said this in a thread a wee while ago. We need tactics that allow us to mix it up. If we are predictable and pass pass pass  it's quite easy to play against us so a number of signals are required for longer passes to be made for the likes of Garner etc to make runs behind. The passing game is good but it can't be the only way we play during a match. 

Long balls don't have to mean a hoofed up and under.

A well placed long ball, be it over the full back, down the channels, to the body of a CF or even head height for a knock down if support nearby, ..... these can all quickly turn a defensive situation into an attacking one, and better can catch out and turn a well drilled defence.

Our game shouldn't be based on this but it's a valid option to mix up what the opposition are facing.

2 minutes ago, kaiser1041 said:

To be fair I've saw slight adjustments made by the coaching staff such as the players being more direct and corners actually being put in.

you have a good point though as small as garner is he does allows to go long some might even say a plan B

I think when people mention long balls all they think about is big punts all the time it doesn't have to be that and can be a combination of good passing and playing it long when we need too.

7 minutes ago, Smile said:

I think when people mention long balls all they think about is big punts all the time it doesn't have to be that and can be a combination of good passing and playing it long when we need too.

Of course a nice switch of play but the key is variety.we are very easy to plan for right now but I'm optimistic things will improve 

I tend to watch our games live and then again after a couple of days. Its amazing what you can see when you take out the excitement of the live game.. 

We DO play long balls every now and then. The whole thing about "plan B is doing plan A better" is a bit of a myth as well.. we tend to change our patterns quite a lot, actually. Just because Warburton says it in interviews doesnt actually mean thats what he does. Thats the way I see it, anyway.

5 hours ago, Big Al II said:

The long ball itself is not the problem, it's an effective tactic to get the ball forward quickly. When played over the top into the channels for the strikers to turn the defenders is can be very effective.

The problem is when you plop a big striker in front of the 2 CHs and fire balls directly to his head all game hoping to create something from a knock down or flick on.

As for what Guardiola said, @Getstiffed got it absolutely spot on (tu)

Killies tactics made Hill and Kiernan look like Cannavaro and Nesta.

Any half decent CB is going to win the majority of high straight balls and both Kiernan and Wilson have won the majority whenever playing alongside Hill.

9 hours ago, Bluepeter9 said:

If we are to build for the future then surely we have to keep at it - or we never learn - only 23 years to go till we are Barca esque

I agree with this. You don't come in and change the whole set up of the Club and strictly enforce a 4-3-3 formation throughout the age groups to then tear that up after a year! As long as MW is here and/or a board that believe in his ethos then we're going to be playing this way. You need stability and continuity to build a successful team - either that or a shit load of money.

7 hours ago, BigDak said:

I agree with this. You don't come in and change the whole set up of the Club and strictly enforce a 4-3-3 formation throughout the age groups to then tear that up after a year! As long as MW is here and/or a board that believe in his ethos then we're going to be playing this way. You need stability and continuity to build a successful team - either that or a shit load of money.

Exactly ! Why have an ethos and then dump it at the first sign of difficulty? Daft! 

16 hours ago, johanhentze said:

I tend to watch our games live and then again after a couple of days. Its amazing what you can see when you take out the excitement of the live game.. 

We DO play long balls every now and then. The whole thing about "plan B is doing plan A better" is a bit of a myth as well.. we tend to change our patterns quite a lot, actually. Just because Warburton says it in interviews doesnt actually mean thats what he does. Thats the way I see it, anyway.

The fundamental tactic will never change as in pass n move but as you rightly say he does tweak it or at least he attempts to every game.  A simple example would be replacing any wide player with MOH or dodoo.  The majority of our wide players will cut inside and make way for the full backs to push on(or in theory it should). 

Making the said swap means actually using the wide men to go wide dragging players over making space for your midfielders and extra 2 attackers to exploit.

And with a pacy winger we could hopefully see a lot or more of long diagonal passes over the full backs which will ultimatley create chances for us.   Looking at all our games in hindsight he has tried to change things up with too many out of form players and a couple of changes have allowed us to change it for the better

19 hours ago, kaiser1041 said:

What I noticed was Garner could get a flick on & if it was in the general direction, MOH's pace got him onto it to complete the connection.

Can't remember anything like that coming off as regularly as it did on Saturday.

2 hours ago, loyalfollower said:

And with a pacy winger we could hopefully see a lot or more of long diagonal passes over the full backs which will ultimatley create chances for us.   Looking at all our games in hindsight he has tried to change things up with too many out of form players and a couple of changes have allowed us to change it for the better

This is how to beat a pressing team like the scum. When they move up to press diagonals or straight down the line passes to someone with the pace of MOH turns them. They then have to decide whether to sit in or press.

As I said in another thread you need someone with the vision and ability to spot that pass and play it.

5 hours ago, loyalfollower said:

The fundamental tactic will never change as in pass n move but as you rightly say he does tweak it or at least he attempts to every game.  A simple example would be replacing any wide player with MOH or dodoo.  The majority of our wide players will cut inside and make way for the full backs to push on(or in theory it should). 

Making the said swap means actually using the wide men to go wide dragging players over making space for your midfielders and extra 2 attackers to exploit.

Exactly. Watching games back really is quite different from watching it live. Some people have made up their mind though. ;) 

4 hours ago, Assegai said:

Interesting topic. Barrie McKay is getting a lot of stick at the moment but worth mentioning that he's got the best first touch in the squad and can turn a good long ball/cross ball into a real threat if told to play that way.

Unbelievable touch, actually.