Jim Baxter BBC Alba

Band of Brothers

Noticed this on the i player, looking forward to watching.

Been years since I watched his own DVD (might have been vid) but I remember being disappointed with the lack of JB playing footage.  Understand why, would just like to see more.

1 minute ago, markem said:

Noticed this on the i player, looking forward to watching.

Been years since I watched his own DVD (might have been vid) but I remember being disappointed with the lack of JB playing footage.  Understand why, would just like to see more.

Been some good footage so far and I only remember him as the guy in the corner of pub as a very young lad oh how I would love to turn back time and sit and pick his brain.

2 minutes ago, ex-guardsman said:

Been some good footage so far and I only remember him as the guy in the corner of pub as a very young lad oh how I would love to turn back time and sit and pick his brain.

I hear you mate.  I happened to be in Alex Totten's company for a short time recently.  On establishing I was a blue nose he started talking to me about Jock Wallace (who he clearly knew well),  wouldn't claim he told me anything earth shattering however to talk to someone who knew the man first hand was fantastic.  I would have spent the day listening to the guy given the chance.  Alex Totten was a gentleman by the way...anyway I digress - enjoy the programme chap :541:

1 minute ago, markem said:

I hear you mate.  I happened to be in Alex Totten's company for a short time recently.  On establishing I was a blue nose he started talking to me about Jock Wallace (who he clearly knew well),  wouldn't claim he told me anything earth shattering however to talk to someone who knew the man first hand was fantastic.  I would have spent the day listening to the guy given the chance.  Alex Totten was a gentleman by the way...anyway I digress - enjoy the programme chap :541:

I never knew he did national service as a Rangers player :ohmy:

3 minutes ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

His own man very much, the best of the best and he knew it, luckily saw him in the Rangers Blue!:sherlock:

(tu)

That he was mate ..... a bit of a maverick , I think that was part of his charisma, out with his immense skill as a footballer.

I have ran out of likes but will visit this thread tomorrow and drop a few off , as both you and Markem deserve a few for the pictorial gems you have posted of the great man himself.

Brilliant.

:uk:

Drank in his pub back in the day when Johnny Hamilton worked in there and IIRC there was a Greek restaurant nearby.  Baxter was a bit of a character and although I was a kid when I saw him play, it was an honour to have done so.  

Sadly I don't think either Rangers or Scotland will see his likes again which is sad.  Kids are spending too much time on electronic media and those who do play football are having the 'Baxter' coached out of them, pure raw natural talent with a swagger.

1 minute ago, Bobby Hume said:

(tu)

That he was mate ..... a bit of a maverick , I think that was part of his charisma, out with his immense skill as a footballer.

I have ran out of likes but will visit this thread tomorrow and drop a few off , as both you and Markem deserve a few for the pictorial gems you have posted of the great man himself.

Brilliant.

A massive loss like Davie Cooper, two Rangers Legends with brains who we could do with now.?:sherlock:

1 minute ago, ex-guardsman said:

As a younger fan 80's 90's era of players onwards who would you compare him to if possible?

Cooper undoubtably for me from the British contingent,

Followed closely by Gazza,

Laudrup would be the one from the overseas contingent I would choose, as they were all just as skillful and as exciting on the ball mate.

But for me Slim would be my own personal all time favourite ..... he was on a level of his own.

2 minutes ago, ex-guardsman said:

From what I watched there he was immense until his leg break when he came back did he play much?

Should've never have left Rangers, moved to Sunderland after the leg break, blunder all round came back and had brief success, Rangers should've done more to keep him !:sherlock:

1 minute ago, Bobby Hume said:

Cooper undoubtably for me from the British contingent,

Followed closely by Gazza,

Laudrup would be the one from the overseas contingent I would choose, as they were all just as skillful and as exciting on the ball mate.

But for me Slim would be my own personal all time favourite ..... he was on a level of his own.

BAXTER

STEIN

COOPER 

MY LEGENDS !:sherlock:

1 minute ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

Should've never have left Rangers, moved to Sunderland after the leg break, blunder all round came back and had brief success, Rangers should've done more to keep him !:sherlock:

Exactly .... they should have gave him the increase he asked for and not been so tight fisted .... but like today money has fucked the game up severely.