Police Scotland confirm received report into historic child abuse within football

Smile

2 minutes ago, Howsitgoing said:

Is that an inquiry from our parliament though?

“To ask Her Majesty’s Government what action they are taking to respond to the multiple allegations of child sexual abuse within football clubs”

That was a question sent by the House of Lords down South. Is it too much to ask that here in Scotland we get the same question? 

The Q from the House of Lords wasn't the actual Terms of Reference for their inquiry.

To consider the extent to which State and non-State institutions have failed in their duty of care to protect children from sexual abuse and exploitation; to consider the extent to which those failings have since been addressed; to identify further action needed to address any failings identified; to consider the steps which it is necessary for State and non-State institutions to take in order to protect children from such abuse in future; and to publish a report with recommendations.

The Scottish one was primarily to ensure there couldn't be a repeat in the future.

What assurances can you provide that the current safeguards and culture of sporting organisations ensures that the allegations of historical child sex abuse in football could not happen today in sport?

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

The Q from the House of Lords wasn't the actual Terms of Reference for their inquiry.

The Scottish one was primarily to ensure there couldn't be a repeat in the future.

Why isn’t Scotland getting an inquiry to establish what failings institutions did historically which possibly allowed children to be unnecessarily abused? English inquiry is looking into that. 

1 minute ago, Howsitgoing said:

Why isn’t Scotland getting an inquiry to establish what failings institutions did historically which possibly allowed children to be unnecessarily abused? English inquiry is looking into that. 

The independent Scottish FA inquiry is/was dealing with that as will the courts with the ongoing criminal trials and civil action.

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

That's what the current trials and soon-to-start civil cases will look to do. A blogger publishing it with little to no evidence that those accused of covering it up actually did cover anything up gets far too close to defamation and leaves me wide open to legal action (as well as being incredibly unlikely to be published given the potential legal ramifications). Thompsons Solicitors (i think) have said they have evidence that it was covered up by celtic and if that is true then it will be open season on them. I can't simply accuse people of covering up sexual abuse of children without any evidence to prove that.

That seems fair enough 

That's what the current trials and soon-to-start civil cases will look to do. A blogger publishing it with little to no evidence that those accused of covering it up actually did cover anything up gets far too close to defamation and leaves me wide open to legal action (as well as being incredibly unlikely to be published given the potential legal ramifications). Thompsons Solicitors (i think) have said they have evidence that it was covered up by celtic and if that is true then it will be open season on them. I can't simply accuse people of covering up sexual abuse of children without any evidence to prove that.

Fair points raised. 

24 minutes ago, The Dude said:

The independent Scottish FA inquiry is/was dealing with that as will the courts with the ongoing criminal trials and civil action.

Fair enough, would prefer if a government lead inquiry,like they are getting with the IICSA in England,was also to happen here but hopefully the SFA independent inquiry highlights the institutions that failed in their duty of care for the children. 

1 minute ago, Howsitgoing said:

Fair enough, would prefer if a government lead inquiry,like they are getting with the IICSA in England,was also to happen here but hopefully the SFA independent inquiry highlights the institutions that failed in their duty of care for the children. 

It’s the fact of ‘no’ acknowledgement from the devolved govt. even to the point where it’s stated due to an ongoing situation it was unwise to further discuss. Think this is the scandal only bettered by the offences themselves (and of course the subsequent institutional cover up by their club)...

13 minutes ago, Robmc1 said:

It’s the fact of ‘no’ acknowledgement from the devolved govt. even to the point where it’s stated due to an ongoing situation it was unwise to further discuss. Think this is the scandal only bettered by the offences themselves (and of course the subsequent institutional cover up by their club)...

I'm no fan of the SNP but no acknowledgement of what exactly? Given there are ongoing criminal trials they are absolutely right not to comment much (if at all) at the risk of prejudicing proceedings and causing it to be thrown out.

6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I'm no fan of the SNP but no acknowledgement of what exactly? Given there are ongoing criminal trials they are absolutely right not to comment much (if at all) at the risk of prejudicing proceedings and causing it to be thrown out.

Eh think you will find they can comment even if it is a no comment someone should be asking everyday to that rancid snp mob.

can someone post template again I’ll email my smp a Tory and also Jim Murphy who was quick enough to phone me on voting days.

your in media Dude and I know your a good lad so why not get all info you can for when you can let rip on them mate?

Just now, Band of Brothers said:

Eh think you will find they can comment even if it is a no comment someone should be asking everyday to that rancid snp mob.

can someone post template again I’ll email my smp a Tory and also Jim Murphy who was quick enough to phone me on voting days.

your in media Dude and I know your a good lad so why not get all info you can for when you can let rip on them mate?

They can comment but it runs the risk of being prejudicial in other ongoing proceedings and blowing the whole trial. I'd much rather hold fire and see the victims get justice than hear a sound bite from a politician.

There'll be a time when it's possible to let rip on them but it's a long way from now (possibly years imo). When the time comes it'll be something that I'll look at but for now, it's not really something on my radar in terms of future articles.

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

They can comment but it runs the risk of being prejudicial in other ongoing proceedings and blowing the whole trial. I'd much rather hold fire and see the victims get justice than hear a sound bite from a politician.

There'll be a time when it's possible to let rip on them but it's a long way from now (possibly years imo). When the time comes it'll be something that I'll look at but for now, it's not really something on my radar in terms of future articles.

Is it not worth having a file on and keeping it ready to go I’m sure you hear plenty and get more media insight they were fast enough on us mate but as you say keep the powder dry until you can let it go.

i always remember your audio on exposing one of the bitter ones while shopping surely it’s something you can keep tabs on and get ready to put a rocket into them?

1 minute ago, Band of Brothers said:

Is it not worth having a file on and keeping it ready to go I’m sure you hear plenty and get more media insight they were fast enough on us mate but as you say keep the powder dry until you can let it go.

i always remember your audio on exposing one of the bitter ones while shopping surely it’s something you can keep tabs on and get ready to put a rocket into them?

There's far too much that's likely to change over the coming months (and tbh, it's not really my way of working). When/if it's time to do it, I'll bury myself in it and work from everything that is available at the time and avoid potentially tripping myself up by using stuff gathered earlier which might not be up-to-date.

Christ, I'd forgotten all about that audio 😂 That was fucking mental.

1 hour ago, Robmc1 said:

History will surely catch up with that bastardised club, that’s almost 4 decades now and it’s going nowhere.

I’m sceptical about the SFA inquiry but there’s a reason there waiting for the court cases and as we know they all involve one club. We in Scotland deserve the same as England who have a government lead inquiry and also an FA lead inquiry. 

Maybe the acknowledgment of Torbett latest conviction following his alleged forced departure from the club and the circumstances surrounding same prior to his reemployment. This could/ should have been commented following the speculation and repeated pleas by Michelle Gray to the FM and JN. This comment should have been (in my opinion) to either line up a full public enquiry following any judicial proceedings or encourage the SFA to hold an enquiry (preferably independent) in to the whole affair given the gravity of the situation. I think this grinds on so many people because they believe if the allegations were concerning Rangers they would be all over it...

1 minute ago, Robmc1 said:

Maybe the acknowledgment of Torbett latest conviction following his alleged forced departure from the club and the circumstances surrounding same prior to his reemployment. This could/ should have been commented following the speculation and repeated pleas by Michelle Gray to the FM and JN. This comment should have been (in my opinion) to either line up a full public enquiry following any judicial proceedings or encourage the SFA to hold an enquiry (preferably independent) in to the whole affair given the gravity of the situation. I think this grinds on so many people because they believe if the allegations were concerning Rangers they would be all over it...

Like the year-long independent Scottish FA inquiry which published it's interim results earlier this year (with more to follow after the conclusion of ongoing criminal cases)? You want them to acknowledge Torbett's forced departure from an organisation he wasn't employed by and was never re-employed by? (as much as the 'separate entity claims are in poor taste, afaik legally they are correct and appear to be making up part of the civil claim against celtic)

Like the year-long independent Scottish FA inquiry which published it's interim results earlier this year (with more to follow after the conclusion of ongoing criminal cases)? You want them to acknowledge Torbett's forced departure from an organisation he wasn't employed by and was never re-employed by? (as much as the 'separate entity claims are in poor taste, afaik legally they are correct and appear to be making up part of the civil claim against celtic)

I understand and acknowledge your positioning on this, but the total silence from Holyrood does not sit well with me re this considering the eagerness of so many in parliament to have their voices heard on issues nowhere near the severity of this issue. Indeed as you say (poor taste aside) he was never technically employed by that organisation but that’s exactly my point in having a public enquiry to ascertain how and why this happened and who was involved with the purpose of preventing any future occurrence. I find The FM lack of reply to Michelle Gray distasteful at best and the JM correspondence on twitter does not befit the position he holds...

1 hour ago, Robmc1 said:

I understand and acknowledge your positioning on this, but the total silence from Holyrood does not sit well with me re this considering the eagerness of so many in parliament to have their voices heard on issues nowhere near the severity of this issue. Indeed as you say (poor taste aside) he was never technically employed by that organisation but that’s exactly my point in having a public enquiry to ascertain how and why this happened and who was involved with the purpose of preventing any future occurrence. I find The FM lack of reply to Michelle Gray distasteful at best and the JM correspondence on twitter does not befit the position he holds...

If I understand the Dude properly he is saying that you can't get jailed for bad taste and the only person that can continue to harass the FM & JM, at this time, is Michelle Gray.
The rest of us, including the FM & JM, are better advised to sit back, frustrating as it is, and let justice take its course.
We can support her on twitter etc., and even crowdfund her if necessary, but we can't expose anything that could jeopardize the case.

7 hours ago, The Dude said:

We all understand the fine line you have to walk but the fight that Michelle is having to get Yousaf or Sturgeon mobilised is a story in itself, regardless of the caution over the background story.

We have a grieving sibling, trying on behalf of herself and her elderly mother, to engage the senior politicians of this country to launch a public inquiry into the goings on at a Scottish football club. Their clear reluctance to offer any help or support is newsworthy, is it not?

I appreciate that your role of “football blogger (Rangers)” does not make you Woodward or Bernstein but there are there not supposed to be investigative journalists at the Record?

The fact that this organisation clearly has the national press in this country in its pocket is beyond doubt and is a scandal whether you feel able to agree or not.

Archived