Police Scotland confirm received report into historic child abuse within football

Smile

4 minutes ago, Tam Müller said:

Google Penn State... 

But the sfa will likely do fuck all

Penn State were hit with a $73m fine, 4 season ban and stripped of all victories from 1998-2011 but everything was reinstated in 2014 and the only thing they paid was the fine.

Regardless, I think a fine of this magnitude hits home how the NCAA really thought about covering up sexual abuse and putting children in danger

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Can't see it being Celtic. It should be but as far the SNP-driven Police Scotland will be concerned that was all dealt with when Tobin was 15 or so years ago.

I wouldn't even put it past an obsessed bheast making up a story about us and passing it over to the Police. Nothing surprises me with that lot. 

Sadly that's quite true, misinformation is their forte. 

6 minutes ago, Tam Müller said:

Google Penn State... 

But the sfa will likely do fuck all

I skimmed over the story there now and have I picked it up wrong or did they punish them pretty severely at first and then a few years later basically reverse every punishment they handed out?

The Penn State child sex abuse scandal was an incident in which Jerry Sandusky, a former assistant football coach for the Penn State Nittany Lions, was charged and convicted of multiple counts of sexual abuse of children. Sandusky had located and groomed victims through his charity organization, The Second Mile. Also implicated were several Penn State University officials, whose alleged actions were questioned in terms of whether they met ethical, moral, and legal obligations in reporting any suspected abuse. The scandal broke in early November 2011 when Sandusky was indicted on 52 counts of child molestation. Although Sandusky's abuse may have begun in the 1970s, he was charged with abuse that occurred between 1994 and 2009.[1] Additionally, three school officials (including school president Graham Spanier and athletic director Tim Curley) were charged with perjury, obstruction of justice, failure to report suspected child abuse, and related charges.[2] Shortly after the scandal broke, Spanier resigned. The Penn State Board of Trustees terminated the contracts of Curley and of the longtime head football coach, Joe Paterno.

On July 23, 2012, Emmert announced the following sanctions against Penn State:[213]

• Five years probation.
  • A four-year postseason ban.
  • Vacating of all wins from 1998 to 2011–112 wins in all. This had the effect of stripping the Nittany Lions of their shared Big Ten titles in 2005 and 2008. It also removed 111 wins from Paterno's record, dropping him from first to 12th on the NCAA's all-time wins list.
  • A $60 million fine, the proceeds of which were to go toward an endowment for preventing child abuse. According to the NCAA, this was the equivalent of a typical year's gross revenue from the football program.
  • Loss of a total of 40 initial scholarships from 2013 to 2017. During the same period, Penn State is limited to 65 total scholarships—only two more than a Division I FCS (formerly I-AA) school is allowed.
  • Penn State was required to adopt all recommendations for reform delineated in the Freeh report.
  • Penn State must enter into an "athletics integrity agreement" with the NCAA and Big Ten, appoint a university-wide athletic compliance officer and compliance council, and accept an NCAA-appointed athletic integrity monitor for the duration of its probation.

Soon after the scandal broke, commentators noted that civil lawsuits against Jerry Sandusky and Penn State were inevitable. As of November 27, 2015, the total amount that Penn State owed victims of the Sandusky child sexual abuse scandal was close to $93 million

1 minute ago, .Williamson. said:

I skimmed over the story there now and have I picked it up wrong or did they punish them pretty severely at first and then a few years later basically reverse every punishment they handed out?

Yes, I think the fine still stands and probation

4 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Fuck sake what a cringey thread this is. Have a bit of fucking dignity about yourself. 

This is enormous news for Scottish society, law, sport, and especially football. It's hugely significant.

This doesn't get swept away because it's difficult to talk about. It changes now.

1 hour ago, cushynumber said:

its got to be that. The white elephant here is celtic and they fail to mention it? somethings afoot behind the scenes..

That's the really sad thing. The main story in football is past issues of child abuse in football yet not one Scottish media outlet joins the dots and mentions Celtic.

Celtic and Celtic fans are still covering it up, which is a disgrace. 

Just now, Bad Robot said:

That's the really sad thing. The main story in football is past issues of child abuse in football yet not one Scottish media outlet joins the dots and mentions Celtic.

Celtic and Celtic fans are still covering it up, which is a disgrace. 

If you mention it, you are simply accused of point scoring.

Gloryfiying it they sometimes say.

Mentioning it is worse than actually commiting the heinous acts according to their support.

Point scoring over it would be crass and un-called for.

What isn't un-called for is wanting action taken against the club who covered it up instead of contacting the police.

48 minutes ago, A.T.G said:

As is shown it can take someone decades to come forward, it definitely needs reviewed on cases of abuse/crime against children

The crime can always be reported and investigated. There is no time limit. Cushynumber is referring to civil action not criminal. 

19 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

This is enormous news for Scottish society, law, sport, and especially football. It's hugely significant.

This doesn't get swept away because it's difficult to talk about. It changes now.

I don't find it at all difficult to talk about. I would just like some of our fans to stop using child sexual abuse as some sort of "point scoring " over other clubs. 

What if we are implicated? 

Its the fucking strangest obsession some of our fans have. 

6 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

I don't find it at all difficult to talk about. I would just like some of our fans to stop using child sexual abuse as some sort of "point scoring " over other clubs. 

theres a point scoring discussion on the other thread! :lol:

and I tend to follow @Bears reasoning here:

It's nothing to do with points scoring. If there was even a hint of this happening within our club, I and all decent Bears would demand a full investigation and a full, appropriate and transparent punishment of all offenders.

If anyone does not agree with this regarding their own club, why not?

7 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

The old point-scoring myth ... have you been introduced to Ace/Johnny McFarlane mate?

If we are implicated and it's not some obsessed tarriers lies, then I expect our club to be at the forefront of a full, independent investigation and act upon it accordingly. 

You know the complete opposite of what Celtic did when they covered it up. 

Maybe if there's ever a day that comes when the SFA and Scottish football punish Celtic for what they did in this regard like they did Rangers when we did something outwith the fans control but still suffered for it then maybe the Rangers fans would let it slide but as it stands why should they? ... we can get called cheats, a new club, relegated to the bottom of Scottish football, blackmailed over a licence and handed all sorts of illegal sanctions but don't dare remind the Celts that their club covered up child abuse.... very good. 

41 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

This is the first I've heard of this. Source?

I'm not saying it's 100% mate. It just seems the case as their name always escapes mention. "A group of football fans in green hit a 10 year old with a bottle" etc

18 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

There may be some people kicking about a 'tragedy football' so to speak, and there may be some throwing misdirected abuse towards victims like Alan Brazil, but that doesn't dismiss genuine response from the rest of us. There will be some idiots along the way like there is with every other serious social issue.

This is about justice. Kids have been raped and molested. There are strong reasons to suggest that there has been a massive cover up(s) to protect the reputation of implicated institutions/organisations. Sports institutions/organisations are no different than the big players in every other industry. It is exactly what happened at the BBC, and it takes a dangerous naivety to believe that the same can't have happened in football.

There are several posts in this thread and elsewhere of people saying they would consider stop supporting the club if it was ever implicated in the cover up of child abuse. I don't have the time to sieve through the forum and show these to you individually so in the nicest way possible you'll really have to do it yourself or take my word for it. 

I personally find it more perplexing that we should allow those who kick the 'tragedy football' around in point scoring exercises to eclipse the sincere concerns of the majority over what would be a scandal of epic proportions in Scottish society.

Archived