Players who surprised you

K.A.I

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a signing but young player promoted from the youths. Alan Hutton. He was absolutely dire for about a season. Barry Ferguson was always running over to the right to take the ball off him then out the blue he turned in to really decent player for us. Didn't get much time out him though because we probably sold him as he peaked for ÂŁ9M. You could never have predicted that 6 months before he left.

51 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Wasn't there a few rumbles when we sold Woods and signed Goram from Hibs? was young at the time but I know he got the blame for 2 goals in 2 big games at Tynecastle and Hibs at Hampden which we lost. 

Again I can remember a game at Ibrox against Hibs the season before, when Goram was absolutely outstanding against us and only a late winner got us the win that day, and because of the new 3 foreigners rule coming into effect in European football competitions Chris Woods was sacrificed but I was delighted when we signed Goram, two games in and he had a couple of bad performances and your correct the groans started, but I honestly can say I was sure he had it in him to turn it around.

1 hour ago, slimjim1690 said:

I would also like to put forward Stuart Munroe and Stuart McCall.

Munro was a left winger with Alloa, i'm sure he only ever played as a rock solid left back for us, I think the fee was 30k or thereabouts £ for £ he must be up there with the best value signings.

Kevin Thompson for me. I remember at the time I was surprised we went for him and not Brown. Went on to love Thompson, thought he was pretty underrated when he was here. I think a few years after he left people realised how good a job he did for us over a good few seasons. 

16 minutes ago, tm91 said:

Some great shouts here. Kenny Miller in both of his returns, little Rod Wallace, Alan Hutton. I remember being very surprised by how good Reyna was while he was here.

Marvin Andrews has to be up there, and in the same season, Bob Malcolm too. There was a while in that 2004/5 season where we had a lot of success with him and Ricksen in midfield. He was an otherwise limited player with decent passing but he was randomly pretty fucking effective that year. He was shit before and shit after though. :lol:

Davie Weir obviously. Sasa Papac too.

Reyna was superb, always looked cool as fuck as he strolled forward with the ball.

2 hours ago, slimjim1690 said:

I've mentioned before on this forum that I was at Firhill watching a junior Scottish cup semifinal between Shetleston and I can't remember the other team but there was this little guy playing in midfield for Shetleston and he was absolutely running the show, I turned to my mate and said to him "this guy should be playing professional" and a guy behind me said " his name is Bobby Russell and he's signing for The Rangers in a couple of weeks" I thought he was talking shite but a fortnight later he signed for us and the rest as you say is history, and the wee man went on to become one of my all time favourite Rangers players.

Mind he scored the winner in Holland,

55 minutes ago, Tom0411 said:

Believe it or not I was really pissed off when I heard we had signed Brian Laudrup & not Michael as I knew next to nothing about him but really rated Michael. One game in and after about 5 minutes I didn't give a damn. :rangers::rangers:

Me too. We signed Boli at about the same time and I thought he would be brilliant. Wasn't excited about Laudrup cause I thought he'd be too lightweight for the Scottish game. Thank fuck I'm not a manager!  ?

2 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

great shout, looked like a wee poser with St Mirren, turned out to be a star for us

Great servant and player for us although  not the most technically gifted we have ever had he gave his all and would have ran through a brick wall for the cause sadly what we are missing in midfield just now imo.

Hemdani I had never really heard anything too special but he turned out to be a huge favourite of mine. Had class written all over him. Jim Bett was another player that seemed to be a perfect fit for Rangers, unfortunately wasn't our most successful time. Stuart Munro is a great shout too

Good thread imo :happy: