Positions You Are Comfortable With.

tannerall

No, it's not a sex thread you perverts. :happy:

This is about what positions in our formation we are properly covered in.

I'll start with goalkeeper.

Foderingham continues to impress more and more, and even though we have had defensive problems the goal against column is quite respectable.

A keeper for the keepers position.

Gilks has proved himself more than adequate when required and we can safely assume we have two or three youngsters coming through this season and next to keep the pressure on him and Fods. Even if both our experienced keepers were injured it's not difficult to bring in an experienced keeper.

So on to the rest of the team. 

And that's where I get concerned. Our defence has off days, the midfield is mostly non existant when pushed and pressured and with the exception of Kenny Miller our forward line either lacks the ability to score from many chances, or when it really matters. 

So basically I am confident in the goalkeeper and confident in Kenny Miller till his legs wear out. 

Are there any other areas apart from goalkeeper which posters feel we are we are adequately enough covered for before the January transfer window ?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keeper and Left back. Wallace is looking a lot better last few weeks and Hodson is a good enough back up.

People say they're comfortable with Miller, yet he's been every bit as bad as Garner in front of goal. Gets away with as much as if not more than what Halliday does imo.

14 minutes ago, sugar_free_pizza said:

not a fan of back bit but i do like a nice two up front

We do need a bit more stiffness from the back, and more thrust moving forward.

A solid number 6 in the old Davie Smith mode , alongside a good old fashioned Colin Stein type number 9 would give me a lot more confidence in both positions. Nothing better than a nice old fashioned 6 and 9 close together. 

But most importantly we need a lot more penetration up front if we are going to score more often. (Admin please bring back the winky man icon, he was my best friend on here)

Not a sex thread - so no jokes about one up top or playing In The hole then.

so on topic then we do lack some Bite and creativity in midfield - we have no one that can really takes game and change it - Souness - Gascoigne  - Barry Ferguson types. Always liked souness with his attitude that if you were behind or flat a hard tackle could change the game and worth a booking. 

2 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Not a sex thread - so no jokes about one up top or playing In The hole then.

so on topic then we do lack some Bite and creativity in midfield - we have no one that can really takes game and change it - Souness - Gascoigne  - Barry Ferguson types. Always liked souness with his attitude that if you were behind or flat a hard tackle could change the game and worth a booking. 

Souness was quite impressive in the tackle, probably down the tight shorts they used to wear. 

9 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Midfield in August looked great on paper, now they look like they are made of paper, no heart, no true grit and no guile.

Paper never won a football game.

Unless you are cellic minded and go scrutinising the Legia Warsaw teamsheets........

7 minutes ago, Vanoli said:

Goalkeepers, Hodson, Miller and McKay when he's on form, inconsistency is a massive hinderence to him though. 

Never thought i'd say it, but i'm quite comfortable with our main 3 centre halves at the moment as well. 

The centre halfs have improved recently but I still think there's lack of pace with the three of them. 

Only the goalkeeper and full back positions.

Fod IMO is a great keeper. Always has been (even if he does the odd clanger) and Gilks is our modern day Alexander (back-up, but reliable and no problems with him stepping in if needed)

Wallace and Tav - they aren't perfect but I like them. Hodson can cover each side and he's identical to Gilks in the fact he's ordinarily back-up, but you can trust him to slot in there no problems.

Other than that the team worries me.

We have no midfield and I am even still saying that if everyone's fit. Windass is the only midfielder I rate from what I've seen. That's alarming.

The forwards - on paper you'd think we'd have a good mix - O'Halloran, Waghorn, Miller, McKay, Garner, Dodoo but we actually don't. I won't be too hard on Miller but he's done (his experience was always fantastic to have), Garner is a 2 million pounds lump of wood, McKay way too inconsistent, O'Halloran no end product, Dodoo I know people will moan at me saying he never get's a chance but I just don't think he will make it not good enough ... Waghorn, on his day is a good player. Always said so.

We aren't in good shape at all. I know it get's said about 20 times a day on here but serious, serious player investment needed and get a lot of that squad shipped out and start again.

I think we are average everywhere just now. Sad to say it but not one player stands out for me at the moment. On a good day we play well and pull it off but often we struggle against mediocre opposition. 

January and summer need to see some changes as we cannot let them have another easy ride next year.