Our defence again and the future

GOAT

12 minutes ago, Albertz 78 said:

When Walter Smith took over from PLG he signed 2 free transfers that made the defence much better. Big Eck also picked up big Marvin Andrews for peanuts, these type of players at out there even if you have little money.

Problem is we have a manager that can't scout players at all.

What about the others in their squads?

Worth millions? Cost millions? Full international players? 

How much did we pay?Were we in Europe? Could we genuinely offer competing for the league title?

Is it like for like?

No. 

But anything rather than call out the gasl I suppose....

7 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

What about the others in their squads?

Worth millions? Cost millions? Full international players? 

How much did we pay?Were we in Europe? Could we genuinely offer competing for the league title?

Is it like for like?

No. 

But anything rather than call out the gasl I suppose....

Strikers and midfielders have nothing to do with it this a thread on defenders.

Under PLG we were dreadful at the back the first thing Walter Smith did when he came was sign 2 free transfers which proves you don't need to spend mega bucks to improve certain parts of the team.

MW has had 3 transfer windows now and still can't find a half decent CB but that's all Kings fault?

4 minutes ago, Albertz 78 said:

Strikers and midfielders have nothing to do with it this a thread on defenders.

Under PLG we were dreadful at the back the first thing Walter Smith did when he came was sign 2 free transfers which proves you don't need to spend mega bucks to improve certain parts of the team.

MW has had 3 transfer windows now and still can't find a half decent CB but that's all Kings fault?

How much has he had to spend on a squad, including defenders?

Hill is one he has managed to bring in who has been on the whole a success. No? So it is possible. As a short term option.

Wilson should also be performing better and Senderos is a proven international but Christ knows what's going on there.

So one paper 3 should be fine, and Kiernan should be a back up. But 3/4 in reality have been poor. Warburton’s fault. Maybe to an extent.

But do you think we could get better if Dave was to pony up with the cash he pledged? Nah don't bother, I know your answer is to sidestep that one and say you wouldn't trust MW with the funds.

Of course we could do with a higher quality of player but let's be realistic here ,  we don't have the money to buy anyone substantial , never mind two or three .  

In the meantime , let's cut out this working the ball from the back with the passing game . Midfield to front , we're not too bad , but not the defense - they're simply not good enough and most of the time just give the ball away cheaply and put ourselves under pressure .

I honestly feel that this season the opposition have had more chances via our mistakes at the back , than anything they've actually created themselves .

Just now, danger ranger said:

How about, stop talking pish.

I don't think me saying that to him is going to change his mind.  Even after all the shite, the mistakes and the fuck ups he still thinks this.  He's aff his nut.

big Hill is the only guy that gets pass marks, and he's nearly collecting his pension. 

No team with a poor defence will ever win a league title. Given that it's an effort for us to score goals, regularly giving away goals that should have been prevented makes it twice as hard to challenge for the league. Until that defence is solid we are going to struggle against everyone we play.

4 minutes ago, To Be A Ranger said:

No team with a poor defence will ever win a league title. Given that it's an effort for us to score goals, regularly giving away goals that should have been prevented makes it twice as hard to challenge for the league. Until that defence is solid we are going to struggle against everyone we play.

Celtoc will and Celtic already have.

6 hours ago, Ivybank said:

Insane

In practically every game Tav hasn't played right back in kiernan has been very good imo.

when tab plays Kieran is left so exposed. Where as with a proper defensive full back beside he has looked fine.

Tav is the problem because he has no discipline in his defending 

1 hour ago, Blues Brother said:

In practically every game Tav hasn't played right back in kiernan has been very good imo.

when tab plays Kieran is left so exposed. Where as with a proper defensive full back beside he has looked fine.

Have you watched Kiernan jump for a header, somehow after he has left the ground his head is lower down than when he is standing, he jumps up and ducks down at the same time, and his timing for headers is woeful, saying that Tav is fucking rubbish as well

I take that point, he does struggle at times in the air. But on Saturday he was left exposed by tav and our tactics.

for us to go practically man for man at the back was sheer suicide. We were always going to lose at least 2 goals playing in such a fashion. 

Kiernan with a proper right back Imo is good enough. 

6 hours ago, Blues Brother said:

Was rotten against St Johnstone, Tav never played right back then.

On Sunday, January 01, 2017 at 1:20 PM, GOAT said:

Foderingham - decent goalkeeper.  Passing a bit dangerous and shit at times.

Tav - shite defender, good enough for the championship, or bottom six team. Not good enough to win league titles.

kiernan - shite defender, a Kilmarnock player.

Hill - our best defender, too old to build a defence around.

Wilson - found his level at hearts.

Halliday - loving the dream, harsh reality is he's not good enough for a team that challenges for trophies.

Holt - a good player for a hearts or Aberdeen.

windass - done nothing of note yet that says he's good enough to play for Rangers.

Mckay - good player when he turns it on, rotten when his confidence is down.  Still I'd keep him for now.

Miller - our best player, at times the only cunt that looks like he gives a fuck.  What is he though 36 year old?  His career is over soon.

Garner - done nothing really but have a good song.  I reckon he'd be a good player in a 442, but that's not how we play so he's pretty much useless in our system.

Subs:. waghorn - decent back up, that's about it.

dodoo - hasn't done much to say he is good enough for a Rangers team.

Forrester - would make a good player for Aberdeen or Hearts, not a Rangers player.

100% accurate mate. Coming from lower divisions back up, i ask are we asking too much too soon exspectation wise. I really wish we would blood more of our youth! In reality warburtons has worked with nothing and brought a squad together of whom every single one was average. Barton we will never know, niko was getting there! And rossiter is another wonder. Need a holding box to box hardy bstard of a misfielder for first things first.

On 01/01/2017 at 2:04 PM, Number5 said:

They way we defend it terrible. Positional sense with them is so bad that you end up watching as 2 or 3 guys all sprint towards the ball to throw themselves at a block leaving holes all over the place for a more composed player to just square to free men. Far too easily beaten and carved open and been like that for 18mths now. 

I don't think this comes down to individual players ( at times yes with RKs passing etc) but it seems just positional flows in our whole defensive set up,  we just don't work at a unit.

Fuck knows what the do in training 

Pitch geography