Ibrox Stadium

The Godfather

As we are seeing stadiums getting bigger, more modern and the smaller sides moving to these arenas I still wouldn't swap any of those 60 plus thousand stadiums for the one we have.

It might not be the biggest in Britain or even Scotland but IMO it's by far the most impressive in terms of structure, atmosphere and tradition. How many of these kind of stadiums are left nowadays? They are a dying breed and I for one hope we keep ours the way it is (well a bit of a touch up and standing area in the near future) as it oozes class.

Just look at the beauty!

ibrox-stadium.jpg

1200px-Panorama_2_CROP.JPG

ibrox-stadium.jpg

j.jpg

ibrox-stadium-external-facade.jpg

1781035872_fcc2a58e5b_b.jpg

ibrox-stadium.jpg

ibrox-stadium-rangers-at-night_3248057.j

800px-Ibrox_Stadium_Glasgow_Rangers_v_In

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Brian Fantana said:

Aye but it's also in shit state inside and in need of a lot of repair and deep cleaning. The area round Ibrox needs done up as well but not a fucking chance will GCC put any money our way.

Yeah that's not in doubt it is crying out for some TLC.

Wouldn't take much at all to get it back to it's best, sadly that's way down our list of priorities.

Cracking place, just a wee bit of neglect. No breezeblock or aluminium supports covered by metal sheets with posters on top. Despite what mad Phil says our place was built to last. 

I do wish I could get a proper clean, update to toilets & pie stands and surrounding area given a bit of love.

none of that changes what a brilliant stadium it is tho, fantastic atmosphere and doesn't look like the new generic Arsenal/Man City/Spurs stadiums.

We could put another tier on the govan (only), and fill those corners in properly with the screens hanging the way the beggers do . The Copland and broomie stands we could move the entrance and turnstiles back 10 ft and tha new space would allow us to renovate the bottom of the stands with bigger toilets, more disabled toilets and better food outlets.  

To me that's the cheapest way to get it to about 62,000 but as stadiums go apart from international arenas the only one that is better is the Emerites but it does not have the history of our main stand and our stadium is made of brick, not cheap concrete blocks and a meccano set , as that is how the build them now, cheap.

I'm sure we're the only club left in Britain where our stadium has the marble stair case.  Arsenal left there's behind when they moved from Highbury - although it's a set of stairs, I love the history and tradition of our great club; even more so after others tried to finish us off and failed.

I would be happy if the stadium was clean and modernised inside (better toilets etc) and the surrounding areas given an upgrading. As for capacity etc, I'd be happy for the corners to be filled in and screens moved and it would be great if we had bluer seats that were all the same colour of blue!

Too small for me. As stunning as it once was, its getting old and tired. Gate receipts are Rangers and Celtic's biggest guaranted revenue stream and the crowds we have had the last couple of years has shown we could clearly operate with a higher capacity. Quarter of a million fans in Mancheater,  quarter of a million ticket requests for the match against Villarreal. Average attendances annually in the 90%'s. No one will ever convince me the numbers are not there. We know they are, it's about the club engaging with them and treating the fans with the respect they deserve. As the weird naked Indian once said, If you book them, they will come, well if we build it, they will come. Imagine Ibrox midweek under the lights with 65000-70000 fanatics roaring us on against a Real Madrid or Manchester City. It's all money. Speculate to accumulate is the order of the day for me. 

Those pics in the first post are beautiful by the way. Love them. 

For it's the home of famous heroes 
And their praises have been sung 
Willie Waddell, Torry Gillick 
Alan Morton and George Young 
And when all my life has ended 
And when death has made it's mark 
Will you scatter all my ashes 
On the slopes of Ibrox Park 

Love the place, love the history, no modern stadium will ever be a patch on our home. You can't buy what we have at Ibrox.

3 minutes ago, wearethepeople1 said:

Any idea how much the plastic seats actually cost? £10-£20? I'm sure most ST holders would be willing to pay for a new seat at the start of the season. 50,000 new shiny blue seats would make a massive difference 

Can't see it being much at all, it's just moulded plastic. Few quid a seat.

Even if it was that's still around £250k which I really doubt the board would fork out for or if we did (the fans) I'd imagine it would be used for running costs or the likes.

6 minutes ago, Tenerife Bear said:

Too small for me. As stunning as it once was, its getting old and tired. Gate receipts are Rangers and Celtic's biggest guaranted revenue stream and the crowds we have had the last couple of years has shown we could clearly operate with a higher capacity. Quarter of a million fans in Mancheater,  quarter of a million ticket requests for the match against Villarreal. Average attendances annually in the 90%'s. No one will ever convince me the numbers are not there. We know they are, it's about the club engaging with them and treating the fans with the respect they deserve. As the weird naked Indian once said, If you book them, they will come, well if we build it, they will come. Imagine Ibrox midweek under the lights with 65000-70000 fanatics roaring us on against a Real Madrid or Manchester City. It's all money. Speculate to accumulate is the order of the day for me. 

See I don't agree at all with that tbh.

Too small? We usually have a full looking stadium whereas the bheasts in their 60k bowl have a honking looking stadium that's never full because the need for those sized stadiums are simply not realistic in Scotland bar 3 games a seasons unless you are in Europe.

I don't think ours looks small at all, it looks great and as has been said we could easily fill in the corners but I don't see the need for that just now.

I would rather have a full 50k stadium than a 60k one with thousands of empty seats. It ends up looking horrendous when not full.

Would love the corners to be filled in between the main stand and Broomloan and Copland. However some architect will be along soon to tell me that it's impossible! ?

Also would love the brown wooden looking part outside of the Govan stand to be changed. ??

27 minutes ago, Junior Soprano said:

I agree. Although it is in dire need of upgrading. They seats have been there for 20 odd years now. They are faded and mockit.

Id be up for a sponsorship deal for naming rights as long as the spent millions on the stadium.

Well there you go, if Dave King really wants to put money into us he could sponsor the stadium for £10 million rather than just toss the cash on a table.

2 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Can't see it being much at all, it's just moulded plastic. Few quid a seat.

Even if it was that's still around £250k which I really doubt the board would fork out for or if we did (the fans) I'd imagine it would be used for running costs or the likes.

It's an option. A £10 "surcharge" or whatever on each season ticket it would cover all the seats in the stadium. Or even £20 with the proviso that it would be spent on stadium maintainence. 

£20 x 40,000 seasons tickets is £800,000. For that kinda of money the stadium should be able to get a decent bit of TLC and new seats. 

9 minutes ago, Tenerife Bear said:

After this season it won't be too small, quarter of a million don't talk shite. 

11 minutes ago, wearethepeople1 said:

Any idea how much the plastic seats actually cost? £10-£20? I'm sure most ST holders would be willing to pay for a new seat at the start of the season. 50,000 new shiny blue seats would make a massive difference 

Fuck cheap plastic seats get decent seats put in, again put the extra £30 quid or so on my book but a bit of sponge at least to sit on, if your gonna do it do it right 

2 minutes ago, wearethepeople1 said:

It's an option. A £10 "surcharge" or whatever on each season ticket it would cover all the seats in the stadium. Or even £20 with the proviso that it would be spent on stadium maintainence. 

£20 x 40,000 seasons tickets is £800,000. For that kinda of money the stadium should be able to get a decent bit of TLC and new seats. 

I'd be all for that but as when anything like that you will get folk who think the board should be paying for that and not the supports who forked out on ST already. I don't have one this seasons so I'm not best to judge it tbh

2 minutes ago, Copland bear said:

Fuck cheap plastic seats get decent seats put in, again put the extra £30 quid or so on my book but a bit of sponge at least to sit on, if your gonna do it do it right 

aye cos that wouldn't get fucked up by the tarriers when they get the Broomloan......