eureka, I've sussed it!

KeyserSoze

Fuck this "look after the ball" malarkey. Drastically drop our high possession rates and give up possession to the opposition. 

We only come alive when the opposition have a go! Space is created when teams come at us - the majority of our goals come when the opposition think they have a chance! Check the stats  

we play much better with more space  created when teams come at us  

let us be a counter attacking team, we have the players (maybe not the defenders) to rip opponents apart when they "think" they have a chance.

we have consistently shown we can't break down teams with 10 behind the ball and by retaining possession our "runners" can't get on their heels so it's pass pass pass and go fucking nowhere 

I'm not saying let them score first ffs but make them over confident with plenty of the ball 

I was nearly leaving to go home on 75 mins when our usual three subs upset our rhythm and allowed them a goal. 

But what happened afterwards got me thinking  - they started opening up, becoming confident and that suited us  

1 minute ago, KeyserSoze said:

Fuck this "look after the ball" malarkey. Drastically drop our high possession rates and give up possession to the opposition. 

We only come alive when the opposition have a go! Space is created when teams come at us - the majority of our goals come when the opposition think they have a chance! Check the stats  

let us be a counter attacking team, we have the players (maybe not the defenders) to rip opponents apart when they "think" they have a chance.

we have consistently shown we can't break down teams with 10 behind the ball and by retaining possession our "runners" can't get on their heels so it's pass pass pass and go fucking nowhere 

I'm not saying let them score first ffs but make them over confident with plenty of the ball 

I was nearly leaving to go home on 75 mins when our usual three subs upset our rhythm and allowed them a goal. 

But what happened afterwards got me thinking  - they started opening up, becoming confident and that suited us  

Hey Soze .you may be onto something there fella :bow:

1 minute ago, KeyserSoze said:

Or could just bring our 3 subs on in the first minute :huh:

It's not really that difficult, I mean when a team is not getting the ball they'll just sit in. Because a draw is sometimes a good result against us depending on who we are playing against.

When the opposition do feel like they've got a chance in the game they commit forward, if they lose possession then we can stretch them, quick attack and goal.

Generally all we do is, ok, we'll keep the ball, be unlikely to score - the other team says fair enough, have the ball, we'll get it some time and then we'll stand a chance of scoring against you due to your shite defense - (see my thoughtful critique in another thread).

Tactics are not all about physical or skill based strengths and weaknesses, they encompass mentality and psychology as well. It seems that this is the part of the tactical game Warburton has trouble with and is a bit naive. 

How many times did KM and MOH drop back into midfield (sometimes defence) to collect the ball, fucking hunners.  Leaving no one up front to take a quick ball. The midfield actually relied on our attacking players to start an attack FFS.  

BUT our goals today came from them being all gallus and losing possession and we, very quickly went from back to front with our midfield supporting our strikers who were not coming short to take the ball in midfield. It's happened an awfy lot this season  

I'm a fucking genius. Where can I buy Football manager 2001?

5 minutes ago, Jack The Flipper said:

It's not really that difficult, I mean when a team is not getting the ball they'll just sit in. Because a draw is sometimes a good result against us depending on who we are playing against.

When the opposition do feel like they've got a chance in the game they commit forward, if they lose possession then we can stretch them, quick attack and goal.

Generally all we do is, ok, we'll keep the ball, be unlikely to score - the other team says fair enough, have the ball, we'll get it some time and then we'll stand a chance of scoring against you due to your shite defense - (see my thoughtful critique in another thread).

Tactics are not all about physical or skill based strengths and weaknesses, they encompass mentality and psychology as well. It seems that this is the part of the tactical game Warburton has trouble with and is a bit naive. 

Spot on Jack

People around me were like "and now yous start playing" after we scored our second goal. Can these people not see the only reason we started to create chances was because Motherwell went for it, not because we changed anything tactically, space just opened up because they had to attack us. We play well on the counter attack, otherwise we struggle to create a breakthrough.

2 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

How many times did KM and MOH drop back into midfield (sometimes defence) to collect the ball, fucking hunners.  Leaving no one up front to take a quick ball. The midfield actually relied on our attacking players to start an attack FFS.  

BUT our goals today came from them being all gallus and losing possession and we, very quickly went from back to front with our midfield supporting our strikers who were not coming short to take the ball in midfield. It's happened an awfy lot this season  

I'm a fucking genius. Where can I buy Football manager 2001?

Haven't heard gallus in donkeys:lol:

Counter attacking once we win the ball back eh?  Would seem to imply that we'd need players who:

• were ball winners ....so that we do get the ball back enough times to implement the plan
  • were quick thinkers, good decision takers and accurate passers.......to create the goal scoring opportunities
  • were fast
  • were direct
  • knew how to shoot
  • knew how to score goals
  • knew how to defend properly

Think we've a bit to go before we'd be much good at it.   Far safer just to keep hold of the ball for as long as we can to make it harder for the other team to score a goal against our persistently rank defence. Safest route.  

8 minutes ago, JimmyCR1 said:

People around me were like "and now yous start playing" after we scored our second goal. Can these people not see the only reason we started to create chances was because Motherwell went for it, not because we changed anything tactically, space just opened up because they had to attack us. We play well on the counter attack, otherwise we struggle to create a breakthrough.

Correct Jimmy, I've said this myself "now we're playing football" but only after the opposition think they are in with a shout and it's only because THEY change NOT us. 

I'm 100% certain if they hadn't of scored we'd still be going Kieran- Halliday- Wallace- Foderingham. Rinse and fucking repeat 

1 hour ago, soulboy said:

I said this in a match thread months ago that we could rip teams apart with our pace and that we should drop deep into our own half when we dont have the ball to allow us to do this

W seem to have players who are wrong for our system. The gaffer is at odds with what he wants.  It's a confusing picture he paints us tbh

I think another problem is we play with no intensity. With it without the ball. Our second goal came from Windass chasing down their midfield and pitting them under pressure. Teams always press us and it works because the players are shite and can't cope. But when we decide to do the same it works even better because the rest of the league are ever shitter. We just don't do it enough for me. It's amazing to see how little time our players have on the ball vs how much time the opposition have in possession.

3 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

Celtic opened up against us three weeks ago. Hearts a couple of weeks ago before that. I would rather focus on getting better players into the squad than encouraging teams to run at Keirnan, Wilson et al 

Ive watched Rangers for 40 odd years and most of them have been against teams we successfully opened up time after time - thats my water displaced from the bath. 

Not so sure it was opponent's tactics that changed the game, more the change in our team's attitude.  When we went a goal down we suddenly became more aggressive and determined to win the game.  All about attitude and effort.  Best two games I saw this season, so far, was Hearts and Aberdeen at Ibrox.  We played those games with the correct intensity and got the results and performance that we deserve.