130 yrs ago to the day!!!

Deanzmeanzheinz

Very topical point which i brought up on a general forum elsewhere yesterday but thought it worthy to be in Bears Den 

Lincoln City reached the 5th round of the FA Cup yesterday. The last time they reached the fifth round officially (they reached the last 16 in 1890 and 1902 but that took only four rounds) was 1887. The draw was not kind to them however. 

On this day 130 yrs ago - 29th January 1887 Lincoln played that fifth round fa cup tie but were soundly beaten 3- 0 and knocked out the cup. The team who knocked them out??? 

The famous Glasgow Rangers of course!!! 

The bears went on to reach the semi final but were beaten 2-0 by Aston Villa who subsequently went on to win the fa cup beating west brom 2-1 in the final.

Now that's history!!!! 

43 minutes ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

Very topical point which i brought up on a general forum elsewhere yesterday but thought it worthy to be in Bears Den 

Lincoln City reached the 5th round of the FA Cup yesterday. The last time they reached the fifth round officially (they reached the last 16 in 1890 and 1902 but that took only four rounds) was 1887. The draw was not kind to them however. 

On this day 130 yrs ago - 29th January 1887 Lincoln played that fifth round fa cup tie but were soundly beaten 3- 0 and knocked out the cup. The team who knocked them out??? 

The famous Glasgow Rangers of course!!! 

The bears went on to reach the semi final but were beaten 2-0 by Aston Villa who subsequently went on to win the fa cup beating west brom 2-1 in the final.

Now that's history!!!! 

Great wee piece of history that. I had no idea we'd ever played in the fa cup! 

8 minutes ago, billsim1984 said:

Great wee piece of history that. I had no idea we'd ever played in the fa cup! 

Between 1870's and 1887 certain scottish teams got invitations to compete until the SFA banned it in 1887. 

Queens Pk actually got to the final on 2 occasions, losing both. 

2 minutes ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

Between 1870's and 1887 certain scottish teams got invitations to compete until the SFA banned it in 1887. 

Queens Pk actually got to the final on 2 occasions, losing both. 

Never knew that mate. Would love to see us in some sort of British cup competition. I know they did the Anglo Scottish thing but it was before my time. 

7 hours ago, William McBeath said:

I would have liked a British cup as well but not anymore as the income gap would just see us beaten by lesser clubs. Footballs sadly not a true sport anymore.

The Anglo-Scottish cup was like that anyway. I remember us getting beat by Chesterfield, I think?

I also recall the Texaco Cup, which may very well be the exact same competition, just sponsored by Texaco.