Does anyone still want Warburton as manager?

LiviGer

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Is there a better manager out there who is willing to take on this job?  Celtic have monopolised the Scottish game while we're expected to compete with no money to spend.  How many managers who hold dear their reputation would accept this thankless task?

But the thing is, we only play Celtic three times a season before the split. That's 9 points but they are also one off games with one, possible two being at home. We are already spending more than 11/12 teams in this league and should be beating the vast majority pretty comfortably. Whilst it's highly unlikely we win every game outside the derby games, it's not an impossible task to keep it competitive and still be in with a good chance of winning by the time we get to the split. 

30 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Is there a better manager out there who is willing to take on this job?  Celtic have monopolised the Scottish game while we're expected to compete with no money to spend.  How many managers who hold dear their reputation would accept this thankless task?

I know it's a forum for discussion but the job of appointing a decent manager is over to the board. I don't think I trust them getting the right man for the job at the minute albeit I've not giving up all hope completely as we can't keep making wrong decisions and something needs to start going right.

4 minutes ago, Gandhi1872 said:

But the thing is, we only play Celtic three times a season before the split. That's 9 points but they are also one off games with one, possible two being at home. We are already spending more than 11/12 teams in this league and should be beating the vast majority pretty comfortably. Whilst it's highly unlikely we win every game outside the derby games, it's not an impossible task to keep it competitive and still be in with a good chance of winning by the time we get to the split. 

Easy said in theory but completely ignorant of issues such as pressure to perform in front of 50000 fans or fact we remain a cup final to opposition. Takes a shit load more than we pay over & above Aberdeen/Hearts to overcome these human factors!

2 minutes ago, nelsonRFC82 said:

Easy said in theory but completely ignorant of issues such as pressure to perform in front of 50000 fans or fact we remain a cup final to opposition. Takes a shit load more than we pay over & above Aberdeen/Hearts to overcome these human factors!

Then why are our home results better than our away results?

I was backing him until today. 

I don't think we've improved since last season, the gaffers had enough opportunities to change team/formation & sufficient transfer windows to show and unfortunately we just havent progressed.

we are stilling making the same mistakes we have always made. Even dumb animals learns from their mistakes but not us.

as I walked back to the car after the match I reflected on what team we are left with and how the future might look under a new manager. It was that which  made me think it's time up - 2 guys at 37 and another old codger at CB. 2 loan players that we are developing for other clubs, and a whole bunch of league 1 rejects.

the only players half decent are McKay and possibly Wes, from 20 odd players and almost 2 years in the job.  The others are bang average league 1 standard with little saleable value. - adding value? Who is he kidding?? McKay was there already! 

Thanks for your efforts Mark, but now is the right time for you to go

In his first season albeit it was only in the championship initially we were hammering teams, these teams then stuck 10 behind the ball and it subdued us, he has never been able to find an answer to that. If he did then he could create something brilliant at our club as we do dominate games but I've giving up on him finding that answer. 

9 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Then why are our home results better than our away results?

OK; pressure to perform in front of 5000+ away fans...unheard of for most teams in UK, in fact Europe/World!

We are unique but within that facing our own unique set of circumstances after Scottish football conspired to put us in bottom league!

If I think back to when this run started (after cup semi final) I have worried about Warburton since then.

The fact for me is, either the players stopped listening to him, and decided to coast, or alternatively we just hit a bad patch.

That bad patch hasnt really stopped IMO.

Someone else mentioned its been a failure on all levels, I can't find much to disagree with that.

Cup final failure

Away form failure

January window this and last season signings failure 

This summer window failure

Tactics failure

League position failure

Current form failure

Just where else does he need to be performing poorly for people to want change? Warburton has stated categorically that he wont change formation/style. So for me something else has to change.

All of the above should be enough to get any manager sacked, not least a Rangers manager.

9 minutes ago, nelsonRFC82 said:

Totally disagree. That's why we pay these players the amount they get. As for the cup final comment, this is a known issue therefore our players should be matching the opposition with the same intensity and aggression. There's pressure playing in front of 50,000 yes but if the team comes out and starts the game at a high tempo with energy and gives their all, the fans' encouragement can only help the players. Again, this is in theory but there's no reason it can't be a reality in practice.

Just now, nelsonRFC82 said:

OK; pressure to perform in front of 5000+ away fans...unheard of for most teams in UK, in fact Europe/World!

We are unique but within that facing our own unique set of circumstances after Scottish football conspired to put us in bottom league!

5k away fans unheard of? Fucking Plymouth took 8k to Anfield. Newcastle took 7k to Fulham recently. Average EPL sides get anywhere from 2-5k allocations for away games.

Just now, The Dude said:

5k away fans unheard of? Fucking Plymouth took 8k to Anfield. Newcastle took 7k to Fulham recently. Average EPL sides get anywhere from 2-5k allocations for away games.

Exactly, it's probably more to do with the psychology of being against an opposition that feels more confident and free to attack us while they're on their home turf. This has probably intensified due to the players seeing a pattern in the away vs home form and having additional anxiety due to that.

I think we probably feel safer at home, as the opposition is perhaps more conservative due to playing at ibrox which means an attacking approach by us can often be done without feeling like we've left ourselves completely exposed at the back.

I've seen enough, actually would still want him to leave even if we finished second n won the Scottish Cup.

Its the unwillingness to change, the poor player recruitment, lack of identity to what I remember rangers to be. 

The gap to the tims hurts and makes it worse that a lot of it is self inflicted damage. 

Id take Mcleish until end of season or Harry Redknapp.

2 hours ago, Turnberry18 said:

Yes, because he is for the long term, I think his plans are very much in the long term: there is not set template for success; sacking managers is not in itself a template for success, and I see no visible alternative beyond what we are doing right now. If there was a better manager who would guarantee success, yes, i would want that manager. But under what conditions would those guarantees come? The whole ethos of the club has had to change, and that is underway here. I researched this recently and in two cases where this has been done before, Bill Shankly at Liverpool, and Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United, there was short term "failure" followed by success, where those type of plans were implemented. There is no certainty that Warburton will, given time, succeed, but there is still no certainty that he will fail either. 

If MW tactics are not working now because every manager in the country knows how to counteract them then how would anything change 18 months down the road?

The problem with sitting on our hands and doing nothing is it lets that other mob hoover up £15m per year CL income while we sit in the hope that 2 years from now MW might be able to put out a team that can beat teams like Ross County and St Johnstone (Something we have so far failed to do in 6 attempts now under Warbs).

As for the whole "ethos" thing if defending like the Keystone cops and finishing 3rd or 4th in the league is somehow laying the foundations of future success in anyone's eyes then I really don't know what to say?

4 minutes ago, Albertz 78 said:

If MW tactics are not working now because every manager in the country knows how to counteract them then how would anything change 18 months down the road?

The problem with sitting on our hands and doing nothing is it lets that other mob hoover up £15m per year CL income while we sit in the hope that 2 years from now MW might be able to put out a team that can beat teams like Ross County and St Johnstone (Something we have so far failed to do in 6 attempts now under Warbs).

As for the whole "ethos" thing if defending like the Keystone cops and finishing 3rd or 4th in the league is somehow laying the foundations of future success in anyone's eyes then I really don't know what to say?

Make that 26 mil per year and that doesn't include gate receipts.

1 minute ago, Albertz 78 said:

I understand everything you say, and I am tenuously holding it together in both my own loyalty to the manager, and wanting to come on here and state it before others on here. But, the points you raise, and they are all valid, are they possibly about players not being good enough, and that better players may not come in the future. I think that Warburton has a better idea of the kind of player that he needs for the challenge, and it is possible that we saw evidence of that in the transfer window just gone; if he stays beyond the summer, and I'm beginning to have my doubts if that indeed will be the case, then maybe we will see further evidence of that. 

He is from the cut throat london stock exchange world

So what puzzle,s me is he better at figures than football players, Halliday for example is and never will be a Ngoe kante from chelsea he is a fan with no plan - he is why his team win League Titles.

Mark talks so well but Jock Wallace did his talking on the pitch and lambasted them off it too.

He has taken us with credit due to he place we should never had left due to the hatred in the sfa

Let down by the faviourites he picks .

We could get a desperate bore as manager who might grind out more results & still be second or third. I think it's genius that Mark has got us playing the football we do with such limited resources. Their keeper today played a blinder.

I want to see where this goes, I'm not too precious about history & like watching football.