Europa League

kplfishtank

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Given how bad we've been playing this season do we really think we're ready for European competition again?

Without a major investment on the part of the board and king then I fear the worst a real going over by FC Woodafukurthey? of Wherzatplace? 

Now, ok I may be being overly pessimistic but we've all seen it in the past.

1 hour ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Probably the same roasters who didn't want us promoted now don't want to qualify for Europe have a word with yourselves European football is a must and anything other than qualifying for the group stage will be seen as a failure in my eyes

Prepare for disappointment then 

I'd be shocked if we make the Europa group stages tbh

Given that we have failed in our last 3 qualifying attempts losing in Europe too Kaunas,Malmo and Maribor with much better side than we currently have i would be delighted if we could make it into Europa League group stages playing four qualifying rounds unseeded is big task is why major investment will be needed in summer if we are to compete at this level.

Given that we have failed in our last 3 qualifying attempts losing in Europe too Kaunas,Malmo and Maribor with much better side than we currently have i would be delighted if we could make it into Europa League group stages playing four qualifying rounds unseeded is big task is why major investment will be needed in summer if we are to compete at this level.

1 hour ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Probably the same roasters who didn't want us promoted now don't want to qualify for Europe have a word with yourselves European football is a must and anything other than qualifying for the group stage will be seen as a failure in my eyes

If we somehow manage to get to the play-off round the following will join (who will likely be seeded)

Winners of 2016–17 Copa del Rey

Fifth-placed team of 2016–17 La Liga - currently

Winners of 2016–17 DFB-Pokal

Fifth-placed team of 2016–17 Bundesliga

Winners of 2016–17 FA Cup

Fifth-placed team of 2016–17 Premier League

Winners of 2016–17 Coppa Italia

Fourth-placed team of 2016–17 Serie A

Winners of 2016–17 Taça de Portugal

Winners of 2016–17 Coupe de France

Winners of 2016–17 Russian Cup

Winners of 2016–17 Ukrainian Cup

Winners of 2016–17 Belgian Cup

Winners of 2016–17 KNVB Cup

Winners of 2016–17 Turkish Cup

Winners of 2016–17 Swiss Cup

Plus the 10 teams that drop out of Champions League play-off round which this year included Roma, Ajax and Villarreal.

Being unseeded makes it extremely hard to qualify.

It's hard to tell at this stage but we will likely be unseeded from the first round onwards.

I definitely want us to qualify you need to start somewhere, but certainly not got any optimism that we'll get to the group stages and in a financial sense that would make it a waste of time. Apart from a bit of extra revenue from the home legs which being in the summer likely won't be sell outs anyway there's next to no money to be made before the groups 

36 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

If we somehow manage to get to the play-off round the following will join (who will likely be seeded)

Winners of 2016–17 Copa del Rey

Fifth-placed team of 2016–17 La Liga - currently

Winners of 2016–17 DFB-Pokal

Fifth-placed team of 2016–17 Bundesliga

Winners of 2016–17 FA Cup

Fifth-placed team of 2016–17 Premier League

Winners of 2016–17 Coppa Italia

Fourth-placed team of 2016–17 Serie A

Winners of 2016–17 Taça de Portugal

Winners of 2016–17 Coupe de France

Winners of 2016–17 Russian Cup

Winners of 2016–17 Ukrainian Cup

Winners of 2016–17 Belgian Cup

Winners of 2016–17 KNVB Cup

Winners of 2016–17 Turkish Cup

Winners of 2016–17 Swiss Cup

Plus the 10 teams that drop out of Champions League play-off round which this year included Roma, Ajax and Villarreal.

It's hard to tell at this stage but we will likely be unseeded from the first round onwards.

We don't have any seeding points at all....so we can only improve year on year

46 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

I thought the CL losers in the play off went straight to the group's and it's the losers from the previous round that go into the Europa play off round ?

46 minutes ago, gj923 said:

We don't have any seeding points at all....so we can only improve year on year

Every team's co-efficient includes the country co-efficient which is often enough to see you seeded depending on which country you are from (See Southampton in EL for example in their first year in Europe).

Suspects Scotland's wont be high enough though.

12/13            13/14       14/15           15/16           16/17        Ranking

267 Rangers FC  2.050            0.860        0.650           0.800            0.600       4.960  

if we played this years qualifying we would have been seeded in first round only.

2 hours ago, simplythebest said:

Prepare for disappointment then 

I'd be shocked if we make the Europa group stages tbh

I agree it'll be tough but it has to at least be our aim had enough of this defeatist pish some of the comments in here would make you think we are some fucking diddy club it's alarming that some are so quick in lowering their standards 

I do not see how anyone would not want us to compete in the Europa League even if it is the 1st qualifying round. We need to be in Europe and if that means going into 1st round then so be it. At the moment we definitely would not make it to the group stage but some rubbish teams have made it through to the last qualifying stage in the past. 

1 minute ago, 6superbarry6 said:

I agree it'll be tough but it has to at least be our aim had enough of this defeatist pish some of the comments in here would make you think we are some fucking diddy club it's alarming that some are so quick in lowering their standards 

I think it's realism based on how horrendous the last few months have been and based on our recent transfer activity meaning that we're unlikely to make improvements needed to get through the qualifiers. It has to be our aim I've said a few times if we don't make the group stages it's a waste of time in many respects, next to no money will be gained to help the finances and there'd virtually be no coefficient gains

I obviously want us to get back into Europe I simply have no optimism that we'll get anywhere in it

2 minutes ago, denya said:

I do not see how anyone would not want us to compete in the Europa League even if it is the 1st qualifying round. We need to be in Europe and if that means going into 1st round then so be it. At the moment we definitely would not make it to the group stage but some rubbish teams have made it through to the last qualifying stage in the past. 

Apart from the home legs giving us a bit of extra revenue (and from previous experience qualifiers in the middle of summer don't sell out anyway) there's not a lot of difference which qualifying round we went out in there's no notable money to be made until the group stages

I know it shouldn't all be about money right enough but we're in dire need of some

1 minute ago, simplythebest said:

I think it's realism based on how horrendous the last few months have been and based on our recent transfer activity meaning that we're unlikely to make improvements needed to get through the qualifiers. It has to be our aim I've said a few times if we don't make the group stages it's a waste of time in many respects, next to no money will be gained to help the finances and there'd virtually be no coefficient gains

I obviously want us to get back into Europe I simply have no optimism that we'll get anywhere in it

I'm hoping a new manager is in place by then I've zero confidence in Warburton getting us there,but it's definitely doable it's not the champions league some poor outfits regularly qualify Dundalk made the groups last year ffs

Just now, simplythebest said:

Apart from the home legs giving us a bit of extra revenue (and from previous experience qualifiers in the middle of summer don't sell out anyway) there's not a lot of difference which qualifying round we went out in there's no notable money to be made until the group stages

I know it shouldn't all be about money right enough but we're in dire need of some

I understand what you are saying my friend but would you rather we played we played the qualifiers which are obviously competitive or play some meaningless friendly against a 3rd rate team from Scotland or Germany or USA. I would prefer the qualifiers any day of the week with the slight possibility that we actually might get further than expected and even reach the group stage. 

2 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

I'm hoping a new manager is in place by then I've zero confidence in Warburton getting us there,but it's definitely doable it's not the champions league some poor outfits regularly qualify Dundalk made the groups last year ffs

Yeah it shouldn't be impossible even when you're unseeded you can get winnable ties. King's talked about the importance of getting back into Europe but he's going to have to change things for us to make a good go of progressing in it otherwise we're back to square one really.

2 minutes ago, denya said:

I understand what you are saying my friend but would you rather we played we played the qualifiers which are obviously competitive or play some meaningless friendly against a 3rd rate team from Scotland or Germany or USA. I would prefer the qualifiers any day of the week with the slight possibility that we actually might get further than expected and even reach the group stage. 

Of course I'm not someone who's talked about hoping we're not in it we have to start progress somewhere.  I'm just hoping we can go into it with new management and some decent transfer activity behind us, no guarantees but so there's at least a chance

2 minutes ago, simplythebest said:

Yeah it shouldn't be impossible even when you're unseeded you can get winnable ties. King's talked about the importance of getting back into Europe but he's going to have to change things for us to make a good go of progressing in it otherwise we're back to square one really.

Yep investment is required so hopefully it'll only be the first round with this years squad 

Just now, simplythebest said:

Of course I'm not someone who's talked about hoping we're not in it we have to start progress somewhere.  I'm just hoping we can go into it with new management and some decent transfer activity behind us, no guarantees but so there's at least a chance

I am completely with you! I hope the same. 

1 minute ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Yep investment is required so hopefully it'll only be the first round with this years squad 

Even the first round should have some progress by then I'd hope, summer transfer activity should be getting planned now in fact but I suppose with the management situation up in the air that won't be happening