What are our chances of finishing second?

CottonRunt

3 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Hmmm, maybe not pull out - his business is sports retail so the deal makes sense from his perspective but he might be more amicable to changing the deal to be beneficial to us for an extension to sports direct running the retail deal with a new contract beyond the original 7 years. Long term it makes more business sense for him.

That sound a lot better than what we have. Could MA be bought out of his contract if the club managed to get a better deal else where and the new company include money to pay MA off in the deal?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Sweetheart said:

That sound a lot better than what we have. Could MA be bought out of his contract if the club managed to get a better deal else where and the new company include money to pay MA off in the deal?

up to MA but he owns the largest sports company in the UK, no ones coming in to buy him out. The only one to do that would be the club itself and that would mean King finding investment to throw at it - never going to happen.

4 minutes ago, loyalfollower said:

For me eck as much as I like him gives us more questions than answers.. he is no use in our situation. No wages to sign a prso, hemdani or a buffel, no transfer budget to sign a fergie and not exactly inheriting any arveladzes,McCann or deboers.

every transfer would need to be bang on the money and whilst I know that's difficult eck would have no chance with his buying record 

There are certainly questions ref McLeish- but there are questions with all the names- how long will they stay? How much will they cost? Are we going to be used as a stepping stone? The transfer market has gone bonkers, we need to start getting Auckenhowie delivering talent and growing our own, for I cannot see us competing with wealth of even mediocre English clubs in the future- hence perhaps the key appointment is a Director of Football

3 hours ago, Corky True Legend said:

Do we want decent managers to come and go or do we want a decent long-term manager? To my mind, a DoF causes more friction and problems and is therefore just a waste of a wage.

I'll stick with the Rangers strategy, that has worked for many, many decades - which is to keep managers long term.  With regard to Southampton, I wasn't admiring them getting rid of their managers, or their managers getting rid of Southampton, I was admiring their ability to replace a good manager with another.

Maybe they didn't fight hard enough to keep them, which is not the Rangers way pal.

I don't know all those major clubs using a DoF, but those that have been in the news it doesn't seem to work.  Remember Newcastle and Joe Kinear, what a disaster that was.

1 hour ago, Beaujolais said:

There are certainly questions ref McLeish- but there are questions with all the names- how long will they stay? How much will they cost? Are we going to be used as a stepping stone? The transfer market has gone bonkers, we need to start getting Auckenhowie delivering talent and growing our own, for I cannot see us competing with wealth of even mediocre English clubs in the future- hence perhaps the key appointment is a Director of Football

A club in our situation has no option but to use a DOF but we have to get it right first time. Do that and the gap can be closed within 2 years.  Get it wrong again and it could be 5+ years to get close to the tims. Your right with auchenhowie but I can't see many British lads breaking through at any teams so we'd need to scout Africa etc to get the young talent and hopefully it pays off.

a dream for me would be frank arnesen/frank deboer combination 

5 minutes ago, loyalfollower said:

A club in our situation has no option but to use a DOF but we have to get it right first time. Do that and the gap can be closed within 2 years.  Get it wrong again and it could be 5+ years to get close to the tims. Your right with auchenhowie but I can't see many British lads breaking through at any teams so we'd need to scout Africa etc to get the young talent and hopefully it pays off.

I'd also say scout Asia

1 hour ago, loyalfollower said:

A club in our situation needs a director of football like a fish needs a bicycle. We need investment, a decent manager and decent players. Or do you just want another experiment?

7 hours ago, Beaujolais said:

I tend to think McLeish is the most viable option, rather than a preferred option.

For a Club that has had a history of minimal management changes- it is noteworthy that a quarter of our Managers over the last 118 years  have been employed with the last the last 3 year period- this needs to stop- we need consistency. 

yes something like Wenger at Arsenal ??

Mate it's 2017 . Having a Manager for long time is thing of the past, especially with changing face of Scottish football .

Agree with the first point about McLeish though:tu:

8 hours ago, eejay the dj said:

yes something like Wenger at Arsenal ??

Mate it's 2017 . Having a Manager for long time is thing of the past, especially with changing face of Scottish football .

Agree with the first point about McLeish though:tu:

Wenger is rather unique - he has been with Arsenal 21 years- and was not just responsible for the Football side but had a major influence on the commercial side and the relocation to the Emirates Stadium-In many ways more a Director, but also the Manager- but yes he probably should have gone a few years ago (but we don't have the benefit of knowing where Arsenal would be if Wenger had gone (Look at Man Utd post Ferguson). But his early years and that first decade... Va Va Voom.

I agree ref your point ref Managers - over the last while I have come to the conclusion that it is a Director of Football that is required. Someone focused on the long term strategy i.e. A five year plan, and then employing a Manager to see out the yearly objectives.

I was listening to the Murty and Miller interviews, which have made me wonder if the pragmatic option may well be to stick with Murty with Miller in a support role to the end of the season, rather than just rushing into employing yet another interim manager for the rest of the season. I guess that the viability of that option will depend on results in the next few games- 1st place is impossible, 2nd Place is within our grasp, a failure to finish in the top 3 would be a calamity.

I look at the Budge/ Hearts formula - Strong active Chairman, Experienced DoF, Young ambitious Manager- and I see where they are coming from. But there are 3 critical links to that chain. I think we have a long way to go and mutch to do- i.e. It's not just the Managers position, arguably it's the Chairman and DoF roles that are the more critical.

Canny go a game without conceding a goal and we struggle to score goals. Thought we were rubbish against Morton and hoped wed have a manager in by now to give the players a kick up the backside which they so badly need! Can see the Dundee game being awful aswell. Will be a draw or were scrape a 2-1 win. 

1 hour ago, Easton82 said:

Canny go a game without conceding a goal and we struggle to score goals. Thought we were rubbish against Morton and hoped wed have a manager in by now to give the players a kick up the backside which they so badly need! Can see the Dundee game being awful aswell. Will be a draw or were scrape a 2-1 win. 

Id take 2-1 right now

18 hours ago, Beaujolais said:

I tend to think McLeish is the most viable option, rather than a preferred option.

For a Club that has had a history of minimal management changes- it is noteworthy that a quarter of our Managers over the last 118 years  have been employed with the last the last 3 year period- this needs to stop- we need consistency. 

If any of them were any good they would still be in charge. That seems to be our problem these days. Hiring someone good enough for the job. Each and every one since Walter Smith left second time around have been disastrous. That is why now, in my opinion, this board cannot afford another flop, 2 on the bounce, a third would be the end of them i think. The club need this one right, if not the board. 

We need a seasoned manager in now, all this talk about De Boer in the summer is nonsense, if he does want the job he should be in talks to start straight away, as there are experienced managers without clubs available now and no compensation needed to be paid, also the DOF can be brought in at any time with the new manager filling in with those duties until then.

This debacle has DK written all over it and you can be sure it has something to do with money, it makes me laugh, we have a plan B and we are taking our time to implement it to get it right ffs, the writing has been on the wall for some time now concerning Warburton and they should have been in a position to act right away.

On 16 February 2017 at 7:01 PM, Ivybank said:

No! There's absolutely no way we will beat Dundee and inverness

Yep there we are, I don't think people on here actually watch rangers live ,all I hear is we will win every game we play we will beat this and that ,for once and for all we are shite wake the fuck up and stop talking shite we won't beat Inverness either,they players are 5th rate

On 10 February 2017 at 11:51 PM, CottonRunt said:

With tonights news and the knowledge that whoever we get in will be a vital appointment.

I really hope we take our time over who we get in, a rushed appointment in a bid to get second place would be a huge mistake IMO.

But then, can we financially afford not to finish second? Dont think a caretaker manager will manage to get us there.

Is it worth sacrificing Europe for another season (by not finishing second) to make sure we get the right man? Or do we bring in someone now to try and guide us to second place?

Not a fucking chance . Lucky to beat Hearts to 3rd