Warburton never studied opposition

Article in TMOS quoting Senderos, saying Warburton never studied the opposition, he said no preparatory work had been done on the merits or tatics of Morton, he went on to say that it was normal to overlook the opposition in favour of the teams own game plan.

We don't really look at the opposition that much, We concentrate on ourselves.

This is something I always wondered about, most managers will have some sort of facts on the strengths or weaknesses of the opposition, but it seems Warburton was only interested in plan A.

Hopefully any new manager will play to to the strengths of his players and the weaknesses of the opposition.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He reapetedly said that it was about his 11 does that matters.

Sorry Mark, there's 22 players and a ref on the pitch and all can have an influence.

Study opposition strengths and plan to counter them, also study the oppositions hatchet men and divers as both can be deciding factors where the ref is concerned.

I've seen us play 352 433 and 451.There was always tactics other than this plan A fallacy.

But I fully accept we never seemed to look at the oppositions strengths and weaknesses, and see evidence of trying to exploit them.

Even when a weak full back was glaringly obvious we never really take advantage. More likely to swap wings for our player who is getting the better of them.

Naive at best. Stubborn and harmful at worst.

5 minutes ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

Article in TMOS quoting Senderos, saying Warburton never studied the opposition, he said no preparatory work had been done on the merits or tatics of Morton, he went on to say that it was normal to overlook the opposition in favour of the teams own game plan.

We don't really look at the opposition that much, We concentrate on ourselves.

This is something I always wondered about, most managers will have some sort of facts on the strengths or weaknesses of the opposition, but it seems Warburton was only interested in plan A.

Hopefully any new manager will play to to the strengths of his players and the weaknesses of the opposition.

He had stated it's all about us, no disrespect to the opposition.

Now if we had 11 top quality players then we could afford to be that arrogant but we don't. I think Warburton thought of his project as recreating Barcelona of about 5 years ago, but in Scotland.

Now thats fine if we were pulling it off, but as soon teams started to figure us out we should have 1) changed our approach and 2) analysed the other teams for strengths and weaknesses.

I always had the impression at first that Warburton was maticulous in his approach with the hydration tests etc. but it appears it was all a front and he really did just live in a silo of his own learning/failing cycle.

I said the board pulled off a masterstroke getting them in but I'm grateful we have put an end to it before it went any further.

I think it was Kilmarnock who scored a goal from a corner that had been planned in training, fast forward a week and they score an identical goal against us.

Had our management team watched their previous game the players could have been alert to the danger posed.

Not in a point-scoring way but I'd love to hear from the people on here who maintained right up until the end that he was building a new footballing philosophy and were happy to support that etc.

I want a debate about this.

The past 48 hours have shown the man to be the biggest fraud going. Nothing he did made sense.

Quite possibly the most deluded person we've ever had at Ibrox in an important capacity - even beating McCoist which took some doing.

This latest revelation is no surprise to me. It's obvious we never studied opposition. 

4 minutes ago, jbm26896 said:

Senderos is now a source of respected information, but only last week he was a joke footballer with no right to be at ibrox.

How things change when the agenda suits. 

:lol: 

Senderos is a pish footballer and should have got his contract terminated after getting sent-off (IMO) on purpose at Parkhead but he's privvy to a lot more information than anyone on here including you.

By doubting him like that, it's clear it's you with the agenda - your obviously gutted to see your failed (fraud) hero gone and happy to dismiss everything in sight.

He's gone. He was a clown. Show some humility and get behind a change. 

12 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

I think it was Kilmarnock who scored a goal from a corner that had been planned in training, fast forward a week and they score an identical goal against us.

Had our management team watched their previous game the players could have been alert to the danger posed.

Aye, your right, seemingly even Brenda sussed out Albion Rovers before their game and gave his players a tactical briefing, that's how decent managers do things.