***Manager/DOF rumours thread***

Andy.little

Guest Lloyd72
8 minutes ago, Supersonic said:

Viewed as progressive and innovative coach

He’s more Ian Cathro than Dick Campbell, a comparison he may even understand having worked toward his coaching badges in Scotland. Praised for his leadership qualities in the past, he’s viewed as an innovator and someone who embraces modern technology and techniques on the training ground. He wishes his side to impose themselves on opponents and “dominate all the moments of the game”.

The only bit in that article which gives me any hope tbh.

2 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Not convinced by this appointment whatsoever if it turns out to be Pedro ,but I'll still get behind him and back him 100%.

He'll be given time by me anyway.

It's all we can do mate.

Now weirdly at the point I want DM despite never wanting him at all 

3 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Not convinced by this appointment whatsoever if it turns out to be Pedro ,but I'll still get behind him and back him 100%.

He'll be given time by me anyway.

It's a brave/risky choice.

16 minutes ago, Supersonic said:

From an article called 5 things gers fans should know about Pedro...

1 - he was a keeper

2 - He’s had a well-travelled career

To date, Caixinha has worked in his native Portugal, Greece, Romania, Saudi Arabia, Mexico and now Qatar, where he’s manager of Al-Gharafa Sports Club. That doesn’t include the various places he’s travelled as part of his scouting work, which he’s done on and off in between breaks from coaching over his 18-year career away from the pitch. He was even on Celtic’s payroll at one point after the Parkhead side expanded their scouting network in 2009.

He would later leave to become the assistant manager of the Saudi Arabian national team before finally landing a gig of his own with U.D. Leiria. He led the Portuguese side to 10th in the league table in his only season there, but resigned amid rumours he and the players were not getting paid. The club were relegated at the end of the following campaign.

By that time Caixinha had already got himself a new job with C.D. Nacional. He helped them to seventh in the table, but quit later in the year after a dismal start to the new campaign.

3 - Did an excellent job with Club Santos Laguna in Mexico

His standout role, and the one optimistic Rangers fans will be focusing on, came with Santos Laguna in Mexico. The Green-and-Whites won the Clausura championship in 2015. This came at the end of a season where the club finished eighth in the regular season table, only just sneaking into the play-offs. Although, it should be noted, they did have the youngest squad in the league at the time.

To explain Mexican football further: the top flight calendar has two separate seasons, each with their own league and playoffs. Santos, under the guidance of Caixinha, won one of those. He also led them to two second place finishes in the league table and two semi-final appearances in the play-offs. This was added to by success in the form of a domestic cup and the Mexican version of the Super Cup/Charity Shield, where the two play-off champions square off against each other.

He resigned a short time into the following season with Santos winning only one of their first five.

4 - Named the 36th best football coach in the world in 2013/14

5 - Viewed as progressive and innovative coach

He’s more Ian Cathro than Dick Campbell, a comparison he may even understand having worked toward his coaching badges in Scotland. Praised for his leadership qualities in the past, he’s viewed as an innovator and someone who embraces modern technology and techniques on the training ground. He wishes his side to impose themselves on opponents and “dominate all the moments of the game”.

Not exactly filling me confidence or excitement that article...

Just what we need, a comparison to Cathro :/

5 minutes ago, Smile said:

It's a brave/risky choice.

It would be a stupid choice and a choice they know they can afford to make with the comfort of having a director of football behind them to take the flak if it doesn't work out. 

Nothing so obvious.

If this is the appointment, that is. 

These are all words and phrases that makes me think someone might do a decent job however these are all the exact same words and phrases that excited me about Warburton at the beginning!

Just now, Cobham said:

These are all words and phrases that makes me think someone might do a decent job however these are all the exact same words and phrases that excited me about Warburton at the beginning!

It's similar to what people said about Cathro when Hearts appointed him and there's a decent section of their fans who seem to have already had enough of him.

2 hours ago, Gaz52 said:

Warburton gets you promotion at a canter. Scottish cup final. Puts Celtic out the Scottish cup. installs an actual football philosophy into the club from the youth ranks to the first team which seemed near impossible after the state McCoist and co left us in. He built a squad from scratch pretty much and was repaid by the board with a pitiful budget and expected to win the league with it. For most part we've sat second this season. He's bought young players with potential that might actually end up doing well with us given a bit of time. 

Even getting us promoted after the sorry state we were in before he took over was an achievement in itself :lol: we were getting pumped off Hibs and Hearts everytime we played them just about, people's memories on here are short. He didn't even have a full season in the top-flight but most agree he would have finished 2nd with us. Still in the Scottish cup. Put out the league cup semi by the best Celtic team ever and one of the best in the world if you read some people's comments on here 

How on earth that constitutes as a failure is beyond me. If we were sitting down in 7th then aye but we're still in the running for 2nd place. What else could we ask for really? Given the budget he got, the luck we've had with injuries and Barton etc. 

I mean it when I say it that most Rangers fans I know don't look at him as a failure, I've only ever read such personal hatred for him on here by the usual miserable bastards who are consistently sour-faced in every single thread about Rangers. Get tired of seeing the same old names and the utterly depressing shite they spout. You can't call yourself a fan if you're unwilling to support them during the terrible times. 

This needed saying - absolutely agree.  King has screwed up big style in his handling of the Warburton matter, and I believe that we'll end up losing a court case on this one, or having to settle out of court.  Now we face the prospect of effectively starting again with a deeply uninspiring manager (take your pick from any on the supposed short-list).  I'll bet we are back to square one in a few months time.  Added to this, there will be no significant new investment in the club (the one thing required to get us in a position to mount a serious challenge for the title and secure decent performances in Europe) while King is around, as he is viewed as a toxic individual in the business world.  Seriously depressing situation the club is now in.  

1 minute ago, DBBTB said:

It's similar to what people said about Cathro when Hearts appointed him and there's a decent section of their fans who seem to have already had enough of him.

I suppose if you mix these things with someone that has fire in their belly, some tactical nous and gives half a shit about scouting the teams we play against then we might be ok!

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

It would be a stupid choice and a choice they know they can afford to make with the comfort of having a director of football behind them to take the flak if it doesn't work out. 

Nothing so obvious.

If this is the appointment, that is. 

McInnes or McLiesh could still be in the frame but the time it's taken i think it may be someone from leftfield.

don't know if it's been said (ain't trawling through a hundred pages) but if he's on 2 mil just now,

a) how much will he be getting cause he will not be cheap

b) if the board are splashing out then there also must be a decent transfer kitty

does that then mean there has been money in reserve and the board never really trusted warburton especially  after the mess he made of the summer transfers (1.8 mil for garner, the barton fiasco,  etc etc) that they were going to bump him anyway 'cause they were not trusting him with another window / any more money?

and if so, why not do it before the january window?

6 minutes ago, Ivybank said:

Probably will sign a bunch of foreigners as he won't have a clue about British football☹️

Yep because signing British players has worked brilliantly for us? Signing  foreigners is exactly what we should be doing any British players we can afford are pish,either that or clubs in this country will hold us to ransom for bang average players far better value to be had abroad 

What Robertson said in the match Programme.

There is no confusion or turmoil inside Rangers, he said. “There has always been a clarity of purpose.

A management team resigned and is about to be replaced after an intense and detailed process, which was absolutely necessary given the lack of progress on the playing front so far this season.

We simply could not be hurried into making appointments which might not have been correct for the club’s long-term development.

It is important to remember just how far Rangers has come in a short period and to keep in mind that we are still laying down foundations which will ensure a successful future. I am confident the new manager and director of football will drive us towards that future.

Our search has been narrowed down to a few outstanding candidates, who we believe possess the necessary skills and attributes. We have been deliberately forensic in our search, studying every detail of each manager’s character, his work and his style and we have sought many references for those who have stood out from the rest.

Above all though, our next manager will be someone who understands that defeat can never be acceptable. Rangers is synonymous with winning and we will select a manager who is also a winner.

Frankly, results must improve and so it is vital that we appoint soon. Doing so will also allow our new manager a few months to assess the current squad while formalising his summer recruitment plans. Again, the funds are there to support the new manager.