***Manager/DOF rumours thread***

Andy.little

6 minutes ago, PRW. said:

https://rangers-culture.com/2017/03/07/who-is-pedro-caixinha-the-lowdown-on-rangers-new-manager/amp/‬

Many Rangers fans will be unfamiliar with potential new manager Pedro Caixinha so we had a chat with Mexican Football expert and Liga MX ESPN Correspondent Tom Marshall to get the lowdown on the 46-year-old. Tom covered Pedro during his successful 2 season in Mexico as manager of Santos Laguna.

What kind of manager is Pedro Caixinha, what are his philosophies? 

Studious, meticulous in preparation, hands on in training and ambitious. I’d also say he is pragmatic when it comes to style. He is results-focused. Caixinha’s Santos Laguna side tended to be less concerned with possession – like most teams are in Mexico – and more focused on hitting the opposition in transitions with pace, although I wouldn’t like to say he’d necessarily play that way with Rangers. Caixinha has learned from Carlos Queiroz and Jose Mourinho and follows the tactical periodization methodology of Victor Frade. The style Caixinha would implement will likely depend on the players at his disposal. He’ll be very aware of what the club means after studying in Scotland. When he came to Mexico he read Octavio Paz’s “Labyrinth of Solitude” to help him better understand Mexican culture. Caixinha will know what he is getting himself into if he gets the Rangers job.

What are his main strengths/weaknesses? 

Caixinha is shrewd tactically, prepares his teams very well and is clearly obsessed with achieving big things. He has studied English, picked up Spanish very quickly in Mexico and has sacrificed a lot in his personal life to make it as a manager, despite not being a big-name player. However, he didn’t always have a great relationship at times with Santos fans, other managers in Mexico and some of the press. Basically, Caixinha isn’t afraid to speak his mind and some in Mexico didn’t take kindly to him rocking the boat. He was sent off a couple of times for losing it on the bench after refereeing decisions.

Could you summarise his achievements in Mexico?

Santos (Laguna) reached the semifinal in three of the five tournaments he was here and they were crowned champions once. That was despite experienced players like Oribe Peralta, Oswaldo Sanchez and Juan Pablo Rodriguez, as well as Colombian Darwin Quintero, all leaving the club in that period. Aside from that, his methodology and level of preparation were very new in Mexico. For example, he never repeated a training session in almost three years at the club. It was almost like Arsene Wenger coming to England and gradually changing the culture, although obviously Caixinha wasn’t in Mexico long enough to have the same impact.

Whats his record like in the transfer market? 

Very good. Santos sold big-name players and brought in Argentines like Agustin Marchesin, Carlos Izquierdoz and Diego “Pulpo” Gonzalez and went on to become champion. He used his connections in Portugal to sign the relatively unknown Cape Verde international Djaniny, who was a key player in the title run.

What type of football does he like to play? 

Honestly, I wouldn’t like to say how his Rangers team will play. As I understand Caixinha’s philosophy, it will largely depend on the players at his disposal. His Santos team had a physically strong core and were rapid on the wings, picking teams off on the counter – Santos won the Clausura 2015 final 1st leg 5-0 – but only had 38 percent possession. Make no mistake though, he’ll have a firm idea of what he wants to implement and won’t be wishy-washy about it.

How does he handle the media? 

Caixinha comes to press conferences prepared and often with a message he wants to get across. In Mexico, he once brought a list of examples of how refereeing decisions had benefited Club America and read them out one by one. I miss having him in Mexico because he got debates going and was a straight-talker. He went against the grain and is clearly intelligent. Rangers fans will enjoy his passion.

Comparisons have been made with Mourinho, in what way are they similar? 

Pragmatist, work ethic, coaching methodology, ambition and high level of confidence in own abilities.

How far can he go in the game? 

If he can tame his fiery temper a touch and not get into as much trouble with the authorities, Caixinha has the background to do very well. There is no doubt he’ll see reeling in Celtic as the central challenge at Rangers. From there, he’ll be keen to make a mark in European competition. With the way Portuguese managers are so in vogue at the moment, it’d be no surprise to see him at Porto, Sporting or Benfica, in the Premier League or in La Liga five years from now. What he lacks at the moment is a proven track record in Europe.

A good read.

27 minutes ago, Gaz52 said:

Live on sky sports news the now. Guy says our media conference due tomorrow has been put back to Friday. They await further developments over the next 24-48 hours. Murty scheduled to do the media conference on Friday

But directors are certain Pedro is the new manager, terms and paperwork just being tied up

Would our press conference not be moved anyway due to playing on a Sunday, rather than Saturday? Press conferences are usually held 2 days before the game.

Wouldn't read too much into it being switched to Friday, sound like the press are grasping at straws with this one.

1 minute ago, johanhentze said:

A good read.

Definitely, good to read honest views on the guy. 

I probably overreacted at first when I heard he was the front runner after I just had a swatch of his wiki page. 

No point moaning about it, rather get behind the guy 

13 minutes ago, PRW. said:

https://rangers-culture.com/2017/03/07/who-is-pedro-caixinha-the-lowdown-on-rangers-new-manager/amp/‬

Caixinha is shrewd tactically, prepares his teams very well and is clearly obsessed with achieving big things. He has studied English, picked up Spanish very quickly in Mexico and has sacrificed a lot in his personal life to make it as a manager, despite not being a big-name player. However, he didn’t always have a great relationship at times with Santos fans, other managers in Mexico and some of the press. Basically, Caixinha isn’t afraid to speak his mind and some in Mexico didn’t take kindly to him rocking the boat. He was sent off a couple of times for losing it on the bench after refereeing decisions.

Interesting read... I just hope he doesn't say "yeah we prepared well" after every loss - -:angrywillie: 

Given the constant mixed messages across the media in all platforms its clear to see the media are clueless to events about to unfold. Odd given we leak to the press more often than a geriatric ward patients leak to their pants. 

Does anyone know if Pedro has an eye for decent players? Has he been associated with bringing in players and selling them on at profit ? Is he just MW mk2 bring in journeymen and hope for the best ? Saving King his fortune.

How many decent young players will jump at the chance to be managed by him considering no one really knows him, good managers attract good players, can he do this ?

28 minutes ago, PRW. said:

Many Rangers fans will be unfamiliar with potential new manager Pedro Caixinha so we had a chat with Mexican Football expert and Liga MX ESPN Correspondent Tom Marshall to get the lowdown on the 46-year-old. Tom covered Pedro during his successful 2 season in Mexico as manager of Santos Laguna.

What kind of manager is Pedro Caixinha, what are his philosophies? 

Studious, meticulous in preparation, hands on in training and ambitious. I’d also say he is pragmatic when it comes to style. He is results-focused. Caixinha’s Santos Laguna side tended to be less concerned with possession – like most teams are in Mexico – and more focused on hitting the opposition in transitions with pace, although I wouldn’t like to say he’d necessarily play that way with Rangers. Caixinha has learned from Carlos Queiroz and Jose Mourinho and follows the tactical periodization methodology of Victor Frade. The style Caixinha would implement will likely depend on the players at his disposal. He’ll be very aware of what the club means after studying in Scotland. When he came to Mexico he read Octavio Paz’s “Labyrinth of Solitude” to help him better understand Mexican culture. Caixinha will know what he is getting himself into if he gets the Rangers job.

Could you summarise his achievements in Mexico?

Santos (Laguna) reached the semifinal in three of the five tournaments he was here and they were crowned champions once. That was despite experienced players like Oribe Peralta, Oswaldo Sanchez and Juan Pablo Rodriguez, as well as Colombian Darwin Quintero, all leaving the club in that period. Aside from that, his methodology and level of preparation were very new in Mexico. For example, he never repeated a training session in almost three years at the club. It was almost like Arsene Wenger coming to England and gradually changing the culture, although obviously Caixinha wasn’t in Mexico long enough to have the same impact.

Whats his record like in the transfer market? 

Very good. Santos sold big-name players and brought in Argentines like Agustin Marchesin, Carlos Izquierdoz and Diego “Pulpo” Gonzalez and went on to become champion. He used his connections in Portugal to sign the relatively unknown Cape Verde international Djaniny, who was a key player in the title run.

What type of football does he like to play? 

Honestly, I wouldn’t like to say how his Rangers team will play. As I understand Caixinha’s philosophy, it will largely depend on the players at his disposal. His Santos team had a physically strong core and were rapid on the wings, picking teams off on the counter – Santos won the Clausura 2015 final 1st leg 5-0 – but only had 38 percent possession. Make no mistake though, he’ll have a firm idea of what he wants to implement and won’t be wishy-washy about it.

How does he handle the media? 

Caixinha comes to press conferences prepared and often with a message he wants to get across. In Mexico, he once brought a list of examples of how refereeing decisions had benefited Club America and read them out one by one. I miss having him in Mexico because he got debates going and was a straight-talker. He went against the grain and is clearly intelligent. Rangers fans will enjoy his passion.

Comparisons have been made with Mourinho, in what way are they similar? 

Pragmatist, work ethic, coaching methodology, ambition and high level of confidence in own abilities.

How far can he go in the game? 

If he can tame his fiery temper a touch and not get into as much trouble with the authorities, Caixinha has the background to do very well. There is no doubt he’ll see reeling in Celtic as the central challenge at Rangers. From there, he’ll be keen to make a mark in European competition. With the way Portuguese managers are so in vogue at the moment, it’d be no surprise to see him at Porto, Sporting or Benfica, in the Premier League or in La Liga five years from now. What he lacks at the moment is a proven track record in Europe.

Good read that :tu: 

If this report is accurate and he doesn't focus too much on having a certain philosophy or playing style, and he plays to his squad's strengths, then this is exactly the type of manager we need just now.

His lack of knowledge of Scottish football is still a concern (despite doing his badges here) and his potential appointment is still undoubtedly a risk, but the more I read about this guy, the more I like the sound of him.

10 minutes ago, Bertent said:

Given the constant mixed messages across the media in all platforms its clear to see the media are clueless to events about to unfold. Odd given we leak to the press more often than a geriatric ward patients leak to their pants. 

There's no mixed messages in the media imo the narrative is he's our guy and he will be - there's just been the odd snag and delay along the way - as reported. 

Myself and my others wanted De Boer but still never actually seen one person say he was coming so I never got my hopes up too much mainly because I don't think the board have it in them to attract him and approach him the right way making us an outright prospect to him. This appointment is a mystery - I'm trying to be positive but can't. If he hits the ground running that would go a long way. 

Guest Lloyd72
1 minute ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

Does anyone know if Pedro has an eye for decent players? Has he been associated with bringing in players and selling them on at profit ? Is he just MW mk2 bring in journeymen and hope for the best ? Saving King his fortune.

How many decent young players will jump at the chance to be managed by him considering no one really knows him, good managers attract good players, can he do this ?

Warburton had a great record for bringing in players and selling them on for Millions 

11 minutes ago, Captain Hilts said:

Wishy Washy!!!!...That above is what he will be taking on if he signs up to the worlds most successful team.
Sounds like he makes the best of what he has at his disposal.
But!!!!...you would hope the board will give him what he needs.

Robertson at the start of this fucking debacle: 

"... our next manager will be someone who understands that defeat can never be acceptable. Rangers is synonymous with winning and we will select a manager who is also 
a winner".

Stats from his Transfermarkt profile suggest otherwise: 

Al-Gharafa average 1.53 points per game

Santos average 1.64 points per game

Nacional average 1.51 points per game

Leiria average 1 point per game

I dont really know if the above constitutes good or bad. Given the market that we are most probably operating in, we are probably unlikely to expect much better than this. Is the standard in Mexico any less than that of the Championship down south for example? Garry Monk averages 1.88 ppg with Leeds since taking over, but is it more of an achievement to win a title in Mexico than it is to take Leeds to promotion candidates? 

As @The Godfather says above, I cannot imagine that had this guy's name been mentioned at the outset, there would be anything other than outrage. The board have either directly (see intentionally) or indirectly managed to successfully manage our expectations WAY down, to the point where a guy that not one single fucking Rangers fan had heard of, is now being seen as a positive move. 

He is a complete unknown quantity, and in light of Robertson's grand claims about how we are close to appointing a proven winner, i think it's safe to say that several bears will be feeling short changed on this one. it is just fucking weird. no two ways about it. 

Just now, KWBear said:

"... our next manager will be someone who understands that defeat can never be acceptable. Rangers is synonymous with winning and we will select a manager who is also 
a winner".

I dont really know if the above constitutes good or bad. Given the market that we are most probably operating in, we are probably unlikely to expect much better than this. Is the standard in Mexico any less than that of the Championship down south for example? Garry Monk averages 1.88 ppg with Leeds since taking over, but is it more of an achievement to win a title in Mexico than it is to take Leeds to promotion candidates? 

As @The Godfather says above, I cannot imagine that had this guy's name been mentioned at the outset, there would be anything other than outrage. The board have either directly (see intentionally) or indirectly managed to successfully manage our expectations WAY down, to the point where a guy that not one single fucking Rangers fan had heard of, is now being seen as a positive move. 

He is a complete unknown quantity, and in light of Robertson's grand claims about how we are close to appointing a proven winner, i think it's safe to say that several bears will be feeling short changed on this one. it is just fucking weird. no two ways about it. 

Good post 

That reminds me of someone 

1 minute ago, KWBear said:

a winner".

Exactly mate. 

It's been a right fucking mess.

2 minutes ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

That reminds me of someone 

Benitez :lol: 

20 minutes ago, scottyscott1963 said:

Wishy Washy!!!!...That above is what he will be taking on if he signs up to the worlds most successful team.
Sounds like he makes the best of what he has at his disposal.
But!!!!...you would hope the board will give him what he needs.

Aye he needs funds to spend next summer, no doubt about it.  Whether the board provide it is a different matter.

In the short term though we'd need him to get some performances out of this crop of shite he'd have at his disposal. 

Ruining the scum's treble and unbeaten run would be tremendous.

53 minutes ago, SuperTav said:

Would our press conference not be moved anyway due to playing on a Sunday, rather than Saturday? Press conferences are usually held 2 days before the game.

Wouldn't read too much into it being switched to Friday, sound like the press are grasping at straws with this one.

This. I highly doubt it was 'moved', it was probably always scheduled for Friday.