***Manager/DOF rumours thread***

Andy.little

6 minutes ago, Captain Hilts said:

Aye he needs funds so spend next summer, no doubt about it.  Whether the board provide it is a different matter.

In the short term though we'd need him to get some performances out of this crop of shite he'd have at his disposal. 

Ruining the scum's treble and unbeaten run would be tremendous.

The ruination of a manky treble and chalking up a defeat for them would be the absolute boost this whole club needs.
We are at the crossing our fingers stage,which is not right.

40 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

There's no mixed messages in the media imo the narrative is he's our guy and he will be - there's just been the odd snag and delay along the way - as reported. 

Myself and my others wanted De Boer but still never actually seen one person say he was coming so I never got my hopes up too much mainly because I don't think the board have it in them to attract him and approach him the right way making us an outright prospect to him. This appointment is a mystery - I'm trying to be positive but can't. If he hits the ground running that would go a long way. 

I take it your looking at it from the perspective of this weekend in that all of a sudden hes the main contender. I was simply pointing out the usual conduits for information dissemination and news management favoured by elements of the board have been strangely silent on this or reactionary to stories broken elsewhere. That may have been cause they are too focussed on their fat Geordie stories, but to date Ive only seen stories that seem to based on chucking enough out there and eventually youll get summit. Perhaps the board are playing a blinder.

Just kidding

Would be unfair to put any new manager in at the deep end on Sunday at this point anyway. It's natural to hype yourself up on old firm week, but i think we all know we're in for a pasting whoevers in charge this time. 

Pedro's remit for the end of the season has to be to try and claw back 2nd, to stop their unbeaten season at ibrox and stop them winning a treble. 

I like the sound of his style - high energy, fast and attacking with emphasis on work rate and fitness. But again he needs the backing.

We have enough to pay De Boer's salary. We don't have enough to support him the way he or any manager will need to be to close the gap on Celtic. Say a proven manager like De Boer comes in and we're still shite because he got the same budget as Warburton - the board are absolutely done, even in the eyes of those who so far refuse to see. If this guy fails ? He was too inexperienced, didn't know what the club was about, we need a proven winner - rinse and repeat. Again only the minority of us will point the finger where it really should be pointed - at the lying bastard King. This isn't last chance saloon for the board as some have said, it's actually the exact opposite. This appointment gives them a safety net if we end up back here in a years time. 

Good luck to Pedro, again i like the sound of him. But i liked the sound of Warburton too. I'll keep on backing the team like the fucking idiot i am and pray to god something clicks for us in the near future, because if it doesn't we're in big big trouble. 

20 minutes ago, KWBear said:

Robertson at the start of this fucking debacle: 

"... our next manager will be someone who understands that defeat can never be acceptable. Rangers is synonymous with winning and we will select a manager who is also 
a winner".

Stats from his Transfermarkt profile suggest otherwise: 

Al-Gharafa average 1.53 points per game

Santos average 1.64 points per game

Nacional average 1.51 points per game

Leiria average 1 point per game

I dont really know if the above constitutes good or bad. Given the market that we are most probably operating in, we are probably unlikely to expect much better than this. Is the standard in Mexico any less than that of the Championship down south for example? Garry Monk averages 1.88 ppg with Leeds since taking over, but is it more of an achievement to win a title in Mexico than it is to take Leeds to promotion candidates? 

As @The Godfather says above, I cannot imagine that had this guy's name been mentioned at the outset, there would be anything other than outrage. The board have either directly (see intentionally) or indirectly managed to successfully manage our expectations WAY down, to the point where a guy that not one single fucking Rangers fan had heard of, is now being seen as a positive move. 

He is a complete unknown quantity, and in light of Robertson's grand claims about how we are close to appointing a proven winner, i think it's safe to say that several bears will be feeling short changed on this one. it is just fucking weird. no two ways about it. 

Think it would be fair to say that we're all cautious about announcing him as a successful appointment until we've seen him deal with the job.

I would have expected a better level of candidate to be chased, but hopefully this guy is the real deal. He will get the same support every other Rangers manager gets, however, I think he didn't exactly have to beat out the best of the best to get the job.

Look at all the foreign managers down south, how many of them had experience of the premiership before they came? The likes of Conte, Pochettino, Klopp etc. all had never managed in Britain before yet came over and have done pretty well. I don't buy this 'he doesn't know the Scottish game pish'.

Obviously I'm not saying this guy is anywhere near that level but its the same principle.

1 hour ago, PRW. said:

https://rangers-culture.com/2017/03/07/who-is-pedro-caixinha-the-lowdown-on-rangers-new-manager/amp/‬

Many Rangers fans will be unfamiliar with potential new manager Pedro Caixinha so we had a chat with Mexican Football expert and Liga MX ESPN Correspondent Tom Marshall to get the lowdown on the 46-year-old. Tom covered Pedro during his successful 2 season in Mexico as manager of Santos Laguna.

What kind of manager is Pedro Caixinha, what are his philosophies? 

Studious, meticulous in preparation, hands on in training and ambitious. I’d also say he is pragmatic when it comes to style. He is results-focused. Caixinha’s Santos Laguna side tended to be less concerned with possession – like most teams are in Mexico – and more focused on hitting the opposition in transitions with pace, although I wouldn’t like to say he’d necessarily play that way with Rangers. Caixinha has learned from Carlos Queiroz and Jose Mourinho and follows the tactical periodization methodology of Victor Frade. The style Caixinha would implement will likely depend on the players at his disposal. He’ll be very aware of what the club means after studying in Scotland. When he came to Mexico he read Octavio Paz’s “Labyrinth of Solitude” to help him better understand Mexican culture. Caixinha will know what he is getting himself into if he gets the Rangers job.

What are his main strengths/weaknesses? 

Caixinha is shrewd tactically, prepares his teams very well and is clearly obsessed with achieving big things. He has studied English, picked up Spanish very quickly in Mexico and has sacrificed a lot in his personal life to make it as a manager, despite not being a big-name player. However, he didn’t always have a great relationship at times with Santos fans, other managers in Mexico and some of the press. Basically, Caixinha isn’t afraid to speak his mind and some in Mexico didn’t take kindly to him rocking the boat. He was sent off a couple of times for losing it on the bench after refereeing decisions.

Could you summarise his achievements in Mexico?

Santos (Laguna) reached the semifinal in three of the five tournaments he was here and they were crowned champions once. That was despite experienced players like Oribe Peralta, Oswaldo Sanchez and Juan Pablo Rodriguez, as well as Colombian Darwin Quintero, all leaving the club in that period. Aside from that, his methodology and level of preparation were very new in Mexico. For example, he never repeated a training session in almost three years at the club. It was almost like Arsene Wenger coming to England and gradually changing the culture, although obviously Caixinha wasn’t in Mexico long enough to have the same impact.

Whats his record like in the transfer market? 

Very good. Santos sold big-name players and brought in Argentines like Agustin Marchesin, Carlos Izquierdoz and Diego “Pulpo” Gonzalez and went on to become champion. He used his connections in Portugal to sign the relatively unknown Cape Verde international Djaniny, who was a key player in the title run.

What type of football does he like to play? 

Honestly, I wouldn’t like to say how his Rangers team will play. As I understand Caixinha’s philosophy, it will largely depend on the players at his disposal. His Santos team had a physically strong core and were rapid on the wings, picking teams off on the counter – Santos won the Clausura 2015 final 1st leg 5-0 – but only had 38 percent possession. Make no mistake though, he’ll have a firm idea of what he wants to implement and won’t be wishy-washy about it.

How does he handle the media? 

Caixinha comes to press conferences prepared and often with a message he wants to get across. In Mexico, he once brought a list of examples of how refereeing decisions had benefited Club America and read them out one by one. I miss having him in Mexico because he got debates going and was a straight-talker. He went against the grain and is clearly intelligent. Rangers fans will enjoy his passion.

Comparisons have been made with Mourinho, in what way are they similar? 

Pragmatist, work ethic, coaching methodology, ambition and high level of confidence in own abilities.

How far can he go in the game? 

If he can tame his fiery temper a touch and not get into as much trouble with the authorities, Caixinha has the background to do very well. There is no doubt he’ll see reeling in Celtic as the central challenge at Rangers. From there, he’ll be keen to make a mark in European competition. With the way Portuguese managers are so in vogue at the moment, it’d be no surprise to see him at Porto, Sporting or Benfica, in the Premier League or in La Liga five years from now. What he lacks at the moment is a proven track record in Europe.

Great wee read sounds positive.

5 minutes ago, jackrfc95 said:

Look at all the foreign managers down south, how many of them had experience of the premiership before they came? The likes of Conte, Pochettino, Klopp etc. all had never managed in Britain before yet came over and have done pretty well. I don't buy this 'he doesn't know the Scottish game pish'.

Obviously I'm not saying this guy is anywhere near that level but its the same principle.

Are you serious? they were all top, proven managers before they came. People getting way too hung up on the "knows little about the Scottish game" throwaway comments. It's just a bonus if there's a top candidate who knows the Scottish game. 

You need to be a top candidate first and foremost. 

4 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Are you serious? they were all top, proven managers before they came. People getting way too hung up on the "knows little about the Scottish game" throwaway comments. It's just a bonus if there's a top candidate who knows the Scottish game. 

Pochettino wasn't a top, proven manager pre-Southampton.

2 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Those were just examples, if I really tried to I'm sure I could name several foreign coaches who went from being virtually unknown to having successful careers in the premiership/ championship. 

To me that's exactly what 'he doesn't know the Scottish game' is - a throwaway comment which means fuck all. 

Out of all the names mentioned I'd argue he is the best candidate. He's the only one who's won anything for a start (granted I don't know much about the competition he did win). 

The list is shite and obviously this guy is a complete punt but so are the rest as far as I'm concerned. 

2 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

Pochettino wasn't a top, proven manager pre-Southampton.

Aye he was. He was highly rated at Espanyol. 

Even if he wasn't (he was) ... it's the same logic people use about Garner ... McCoist was a striker with a slow start therefore every dud will turn out OK. 

It's a nonsense. 

1 minute ago, jackrfc95 said:

Those were just examples, if I really tried to I'm sure I could name several foreign coaches who went from being virtually unknown to having successful careers in the premiership/ championship. 

To me that's exactly what 'he doesn't know the Scottish game' is - a throwaway comment which means fuck all. 

Out of all the names mentioned I'd argue he is the best candidate. He's the only one who's won anything for a start (granted I don't know much about the competition he did win). 

The list is shite and obviously this guy is a complete punt but so are the rest as far as I'm concerned. 

If you honestly think that, then I can't say anything to it. 

3 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Even if he wasn't (he was) ... it's the same logic people use about Garner ... McCoist was a striker with a slow start therefore every dud will turn out OK. 

It's a nonsense. 

They sacked him with the club at the bottom of the league. Ideally a top manager who has won things with knowledge of the Scottish game is the manager we would all love but don't think there's many around..  and even less willing to take a chance on leading us back to the top. 

Just now, K.A.I said:

McInnes or Rowatt would be must better options IMO and that's saying something. 

You honestly believe Mcinnes could take us to where we want to be i.e. winning league titles and competing in Europe? 

I've no idea whether this other can or not as I know nothing about him apart from what I've read in the last week or so but Mcinnes has had 4 years to really make an impact in Scottish football and he's won one trophy and finished 20 odd points behind the tims or whatever it's been over the past few years and that was with Deila in charge. 

As for Rowett I don't get how he's any more qualified for the job than Caixhinia. 

6 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

It's a nonsense. 

Looked at this last night Kai, Poch record was surprisingly average. Won 30% of games if I recall correctly. 

That lad they have then now Peul.  Hasn't won a major honour in 7 years. 

1 minute ago, To Be A Ranger said:

They sacked him with the club at the bottom of the league. Ideally a top manager who has won things with knowledge of the Scottish game is the manager we would all love but don't think there's many around..  and even less willing to take a chance on leading us back to the top. 

When he took over he saved them from relegation, had a good season next season and they were bottom a couple of months into his last season. From what I am reading right now he was rated, it was the team that was garbage and he had them punching. 

Regarding your other point McInnes has knowledge of the Scottish game. Won a cup, got them finishing seconds and they're ahead of us in the league with a much smaller budget/resources. I'm not saying he's an amazing manager or a top candidate - I'm saying he's a much better candidate than Pedro.

It's amazing watching the forum narrative change when it becomes apparent he's our man. I get that he needs supporter - that's what good supporters do but it doesn't mean the debate stops and concerns aren't invalid all of a sudden. 

4 minutes ago, jackrfc95 said:

You honestly believe Mcinnes could take us to where we want to be i.e. winning league titles and competing in Europe?

I've no idea whether this other can or not as I know nothing about him apart from what I've read in the last week or so but Mcinnes has had 4 years to really make an impact in Scottish football and he's won one trophy and finished 20 odd points behind the tims or whatever it's been over the past few years and that was with Deila in charge. 

As for Rowett I don't get how he's any more qualified for the job than Caixhinia. 

To be honest probably not but your implying that I think he's an amazing top, top candidate - he's not - he's the best of a bad bunch and considerably better than Pedro IMO. 

Do you think Pedro will have us winning league titles and competing in Europe? seriously? based on what? 

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

To be honest probably not but your implying that I think he's an amazing top, top candidate - he's not - he's the best of a bad bunch and considerably better than Pedro IMO. 

Do you think Pedro will have us winning league titles and competing in Europe? seriously? based on what? 

As I said I have no idea whether he will or not but given what I do know about Mcinnes I don't think he will. 

Thats basically the crux of it, this guy is an unknown hence he's getting more support than others. 

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

Regarding your other point McInnes has knowledge of the Scottish game. Won a cup, got them finishing seconds and they're ahead of us in the league with a much smaller budget/resources. I'm not saying he's an amazing manager or a top candidate - I'm saying he's a much better candidate than Pedro.

Everybody keeps going on about how McInnes doesn't deserve the job with us because he didn't manage to lay a glove on celtic while we were out the top flight but I think that's a bit of an unfair criticism to aim at him because Aberdeen are a far smaller club than celtic with nowhere near the resources that they have regardless of how poor they might have been under Delia.