***Manager/DOF rumours thread***

40 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

No because Walter Smith handed Ally fucking McCoist the job when he left.

I don't listen to managers opinions on other managers because even the most intelligent, talented and respected managers talk pish when it comes to bigging up their fellow managers. 

On another note, he didn't - he actually said on record the other day McInnes is the man.

Which raises an interesting point to flip it - am I still a diddy for saying I want McInnes as manager? after all "Sir Walter" said he's his choice too the other day ... don't all rush in with the honest replies now. 

Walter also said we've never had a DoF. Despite having had a couple. 

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

fuckin hell hen. Yes that's what I mean

Aberdeen away

Why am I picturing Jonathan Watson doing his impression of Gordon Strachan while reading this!??

Posted Images

Just now, The Dude said:

Walter also said we've never had a DoF. Despite having had a couple. 

True. So is his opinions valid ... or not? that's all I'm asking for anyone that wants to have it both ways i.e a messiah AND wrong. 

14 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I never said you did, I meant in general hence me saying don't ALL rush in with the honest replies - all meaning others.

Smith said he wanted McInnes though. What's your thoughts? is he not the man anymore? 

Of all the names linked McInnes would have been my pick, however that's more to do with the overall quality of selections rather than DM being the outstanding candidate. 

Big Pedro on the hand...I have no idea. Hadn't heard of him til recently so am in no position to guess how he'll get on if appointed. Is it a risk? Aye. Could it backfire? Aye. Could it be a rip roaring success? It's possible. 

People make more money than me to make these decisions, we can only hope it's the right one.:tu:

K.A.I likes this
Just now, Dado'sMulls said:

Of all the names linked McInnes would have been my pick, however that's more to do with the overall quality of selections rather than DM being the outstanding candidate. 

Big Pedro on the hand...I have no idea. Hadn't heard of him til recently so am in no position to guess how he'll get on if appointed. Is it a risk? Aye. Could it backfire? Aye. Could it be a rip roaring success? It's possible. 

People make more money than me to make these decisions, we can only hope it's the right one.:tu:

Couldn't agree more. McInnes in an ideal world be nowhere near the job but I'd pump for him on the basis of the best of a bad/underwhelming bunch.

The last line is correct too but it's scary we have people on huge money that are so out of touch making the most important decision in our clubs history. 

Dado'sMulls likes this

The objective, is it not, is to restore Rangers back to the very top of Scottish football asap.   

So if Pedro is appointed its not about winning a title very quickly ie within a season or 2 is it.  Why?  Because nothing in his track record of time with clubs suggests he is anything other than a short-burn manager who shifts himself on every couple of years or so. So unless King and the Board are giving him a pretty decent transfer budget to create the core of a title challenging / title winning side, its not going to happen under Pedro's reign.   Because even for a fast learner and fast operator there is no way in this world - as far as I can see anyway - that he could turn the substance of the current squad into a title-challenging / title-winning squad in 2 seasons before he takes himself off to another club unless he is given a big licence to get far better quality players this summer.

If the Board buy into him knowing his track record of shifting on after a couple of years but don't give him anything other than a small transfer budget, it seems to me his role would then be build a strong squad with development players breaking into the first team, doing well and the process starting to happen of players being sold on for good fees.   But title 55?   Well that may fall to his successor to fight for because under that model Pedro would need to have been a stellar manager to turn the substance or the current squad plus some low cost additions and some development players breaking through, into a title challenging / title winning side inside a couple of years before he hikes it.    And King would need to do quite a selling job to the support to adjust expectations of quick success in the form of title 55.

Point is, this would not be a manager for the longer term which is what I thought the Board said they wanted to appoint.  I wouldn't regard somebody whose track record is one of moving on after around a couple of seasons as a appointing a manager for the longer term.   It feels more like a bet by King and the Board who have become alarmed that under Warburton this was all going to take too long so they look to Pedro to somehow do what Warburton was not able to do and transform the substance of the current squad into credible title challengers in double quick time with a few low cost additions and loans in Summer.  What it doesn't feel like to me is bringing in a manager for the longer term where success once achieved is then the platform for the manager to build even more success.  

1 hour ago, Willis said:

So he's getting more support because he's an unknown?  How does that make sense?

Are folk saying "Mcinnes is a prick and he and the others aren't good enough,  so I'm voting for the guy I've never heard of"?

I'm not particularly happy with any of the names mentioned, and I don't see the point in hoping for a manager I've never heard of just because the others are so bad that I don't want them.

You don't have to pretend that Pedro is something he's not just because the other options are pish.

Personally if I had to chose between the names mentioned I'd chose Caixinhna, but to be honest if that's our lot I'd rather keep Murty and keep looking.

I don't think any of them are capable of achieving what they need to,  so there's no point in me saying who's better than who.

I'll not be unhappy if Caixinhna is appointed, but I'm not going to get all excited like we've signed some hero that will save us either. Days where I'm cheering a managers name just because of his reputation and before he's even managed his first game are long gone, he'll have to earn it whoever he is

:cup:

Top post mate ..... from top to toe.

:UK:

Just now, The Dude said:

His opinion is valid but I'd take it with a massive pinch of salt. 

I like Walter Smith don't get me wrong but he's far from perfect. He's got a lot of stuff wrong on and off the pitch over the years - as has anyone. 

I respect him and would take him back as a manager in a heartbeat but he's not always right, either. 

denya and The Dude like this
30 minutes ago, pcbear said:

Is there something I don't know? Billy Davies is 6/1 with 3 of the bookies on oddschecker, he was miles out the other day.

I hope no. Davies is someone I can imagine going to the interview with a batman costume on and challenging everyone he passed to a sock slide championship on the way there.

That's telling me something.

4 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I like Walter Smith don't get me wrong but he's far from perfect. He's got a lot of stuff wrong on and off the pitch over the years - as has anyone. 

I respect him and would take him back as a manager in a heartbeat but he's not always right, either. 

He basically admitted he got McCoist wrong in the studio on Saturday. Well that's what I took from it anyway 

31 minutes ago, Reformation Bear said:

The objective, is it not, is to restore Rangers back to the very top of Scottish football asap.   

So if Pedro is appointed its not about winning a title very quickly ie within a season or 2 is it.  Why?  Because nothing in his track record of time with clubs suggests he is anything other than a short-burn manager who shifts himself on every couple of years or so. So unless King and the Board are giving him a pretty decent transfer budget to create the core of a title challenging / title winning side, its not going to happen under Pedro's reign.   Because even for a fast learner and fast operator there is no way in this world - as far as I can see anyway - that he could turn the substance of the current squad into a title-challenging / title-winning squad in 2 seasons before he takes himself off to another club unless he is given a big licence to get far better quality players this summer.

If the Board buy into him knowing his track record of shifting on after a couple of years but don't give him anything other than a small transfer budget, it seems to me his role would then be build a strong squad with development players breaking into the first team, doing well and the process starting to happen of players being sold on for good fees.   But title 55?   Well that may fall to his successor to fight for because under that model Pedro would need to have been a stellar manager to turn the substance or the current squad plus some low cost additions and some development players breaking through, into a title challenging / title winning side inside a couple of years before he hikes it.    And King would need to do quite a selling job to the support to adjust expectations of quick success in the form of title 55.

Point is, this would not be a manager for the longer term which is what I thought the Board said they wanted to appoint.  I wouldn't regard somebody whose track record is one of moving on after around a couple of seasons as a appointing a manager for the longer term.   It feels more like a bet by King and the Board who have become alarmed that under Warburton this was all going to take too long so they look to Pedro to somehow do what Warburton was not able to do and transform the substance of the current squad into credible title challengers in double quick time with a few low cost additions and loans in Summer.  What it doesn't feel like to me is bringing in a manager for the longer term where success once achieved is then the platform for the manager to build even more success.  

That's the point of the Director of Football though. The manager is always going to be short term now. The budget will be as much the Director of Football's as it will be Pedro's.

22 minutes ago, PRW. said:

@ScotlandSky RANGERS LATEST | Sky sources: Pedro Caixinha awaiting clearance from Al-Gharafa President Sheikh Jassim Al-Thani to join #Rangers

As this drags on am getting more excited by this. Looking forward to this appointment more than Sunday tbh.

it'll either be a disaster or a genius appointment

2 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

it'll either be a disaster or a genius appointment

I'm hoping that's the case. 

It has to be one or the other (obviously pref a genius appointment) the worst thing that can happen is a grey area appointment.

What I mean by that is someone who's just done enough to merit staying in a job a wee bit longer, then a wee bit longer again and again without doing anything of note or having all sorts of excuses made for him. Basically the sort of excuses that kept McCoist in a job for 4 years and Warburton getting us promoted and beating Celtic papering over the cracks and him getting too long too as we struggle for 2nd place.

I don't know if that makes sense but the worst thing that can happen is someone who does an in-between job as we need solid success or we need to cut our loses again and get rid. One or the other. 

KingKirk and Tiger Shaw like this
Guest Lloyd72
2 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

It has to be one or the other (obviously pref a genius appointment) the worst thing that can happen is a grey area appointment.

What I mean by that is someone who's just done enough to merit staying in a job a wee bit longer, then a wee bit longer again and again without doing anything of note or having all sorts of excuses made for him. Basically the sort of excuses that kept McCoist in a job for 4 years and Warburton getting us promoted and beating Celtic papering over the cracks and him getting too long too as we struggle for 2nd place.

I don't know if that makes sense but the worst thing that can happen is someone who does an in-between job as we need solid success or we need to cut our loses again and get rid. One or the other. 

imo that's exactly what mcinnes would be

3 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Valid point, we basically need to know quickly if this will be a success or not, prolonged periods of mediocrity or false dawns never help and that's all it's been this year under Warburton.

K.A.I likes this