Get 3 Points or Die Trying

NeoGeo7

We are such a huge club worldwide,But are now only able to purchase bargain based personnel, Having such a big rep around the world,Has made our Poor Players think they are far better than they are, They now need to deal with fame and all its Pro's and Con's, Most properly are still in dreamland at the fact they are playing for such a huge team,Then they panic and fail on the pitch, We need to get a few old heads in there just to get the spirit Of playing for Rangers back in there. As for now we will just need to hope any bargain players we get in future are Rangers class.

Good post apart from the Barton Ferguson comparison. Ferguson was a Rangers captain and done the buisness for us. More importantly he's one of us and knew how our club works and how to succeed here.

Barton on the other hand swanned in without doing a preseason acting like he ran the place. Can only remember him getting nutmegged against accies and getting ran ragged against brown. Cunt even lost the drop ball against brown. He's a rhat bastard who has fuck all leadership and doesn't have a clue about our clubs mentality 

6 minutes ago, SasaPapacLoyal said:

Good post apart from the Barton Ferguson comparison. Ferguson was a Rangers captain and done the buisness for us. More importantly he's one of us and knew how our club works and how to succeed here.

Barton on the other hand swanned in without doing a preseason acting like he ran the place. Can only remember him getting nutmegged against accies and getting ran ragged against brown. Cunt even lost the drop ball against brown. He's a rhat bastard who has fuck all leadership and doesn't have a clue about our clubs mentality 

Fair enough, wasn't comparing the player in terms of what they have done for/to the club just that each manager had dressing room unrest. One player had the backing of the dressing room (as he was captain) the other was in the minority however each time you could see that there was definitely unrest between the manager and some squad members. Had Barton been a success up until that point under a previous manager say then I reckon it would possibly have been a different story.

The facts have never come out about the incident and whilst I still think Barton is a shitebag if he was kicking off about how unacceptable the scoreline and performance was then he was in the right whilst Warburton calmly discusses what to learn from it.

On a side note about the whole authority figure I caught that Footballs Funniest Moments last night to see Harry Redknapp get hit by a ball during an interview and he was livid with the player and for me thats what I want from the next manager. A no nonsense sterotypical British geezer who knows how to manager a football squad and who knows their stuff tactically.

3 hours ago, NeoGeo7 said:

On a side note about the whole authority figure I caught that Footballs Funniest Moments last night to see Harry Redknapp get hit by a ball during an interview and he was livid with the player and for me thats what I want from the next manager. A no nonsense sterotypical British geezer who knows how to manager a football squad and who knows their stuff tactically.

I reckon this is a great point, for me Jimmy Calderwood ticks this box - surely he could fill the vacant role until end of season with a view to longer-term appointment?

6 minutes ago, Blue Bear Champ said:

I reckon this is a great point, for me Jimmy Calderwood ticks this box - surely he could fill the vacant role until end of season with a view to longer-term appointment?

Your avatar has a clown holding a British flag?

4 hours ago, SasaPapacLoyal said:

Barton didn't do a preseason because he was working as a pundit at Euro 2016.  We knew he had those obligations when we signed him.  So, it seems very unfair to criticise the player for a lack of preseason.

You also site his being nutmegged as evidence of him being a bad player, which is wrong.  Anyone can get nutmegged in football and it regularly happens to some of the worlds best.  In fact, there's a pretty extensive compilation of Messi getting nutmegged on YouTube if you want to check it out.  Against Hamilton Joey brilliantly won the back in midfield that result in us scoring a goal straight afterwards but I see no mention of that?

You also said Brown "ran him ragged" which is completely false.  The only time Barton and Brown came near each other that day was for a dropped ball.  If you want to blame someone for that day start with the managers predictable tactics, Kiernan for passing to an opposition player, Senderos for deliberate getting sent off, etc.  The last 10 mins of that Old Firm game Joey had to play CB as we had no CBs left.  Viera could've been our CDM that day and we would still have been run ragged.  In fact, we've been just as shite if not worse since Joey left so obviously our problems run far deeper.

Barton could've been a real asset for us in the middle of the park under the right manager.  I'm actually gutted he left as we are in desperate need of someone like him.  It's unfortunate that he was never given a chance to prove himself and in fact I think he played less than five league games for us.  Scott Brown was utter shite for the entirety of last season and look how he's improved under a better manager.  Judging Barton on five games where he was unfit and still adapting to a new team in a different country is ridiculous.

Joey Barton is a far superior player to anything we have in the middle of the park.  No one plays 240 games in the EPL, earns Championship promotion three times, or wins Burnley's POTY if they can't play football.  He was never given a chance and paying this guy £1m to leave when we desperately need him was utter stupidity.  It's a real pity he couldn't have joined us under better circumstances.

27 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Barton didn't do a preseason because he was working as a pundit at Euro 2016.  We knew he had those obligations when we signed him.  So, it seems very unfair to criticise the player for a lack of preseason.

You also site his being nutmegged as evidence of him being a bad player, which is wrong.  Anyone can get nutmegged in football and it regularly happens to some of the worlds best.  In fact, there's a pretty extensive compilation of Messi getting nutmegged on YouTube if you want to check it out.  Against Hamilton Joey brilliantly won the back in midfield that result in us scoring a goal straight afterwards but I see no mention of that?

You also said Brown "ran him ragged" which is completely false.  The only time Barton and Brown came near each other that day was for a dropped ball.  If you want to blame someone for that day start with the managers predictable tactics, Kiernan for passing to an opposition player, Senderos for deliberate getting sent off, etc.  The last 10 mins of that Old Firm game Joey had to play CB as we had no CBs left.  Viera could've been our CDM that day and we would still have been run ragged.  In fact, we've been just as shite if not worse since Joey left so obviously our problems run far deeper.

Barton could've been a real asset for us in the middle of the park under the right manager.  I'm actually gutted he left as we are in desperate need of someone like him.  It's unfortunate that he was never given a chance to prove himself and in fact I think he played less than five league games for us.  Scott Brown was utter shite for the entirety of last season and look how he's improved under a better manager.  Judging Barton on five games where he was unfit and still adapting to a new team in a different country is ridiculous.

Joey Barton is a far superior player to anything we have in the middle of the park.  No one plays 240 games in the EPL, earns Championship promotion three times, or wins Burnley's POTY if they can't play football.  He was never given a chance and paying this guy £1m to leave when we desperately need him was utter stupidity.  It's a real pity he couldn't have joined us under better circumstances.

If Barton truly gave a fuck about being a success at Rangers he would have patched his punditry duties. Or at least do a wee bit of his own preseason and not turn up like he had spent the whole summer getting pished and playing golf. 

The nutmeg comment wasn't used to show he was a bad player more that he literally did fuck all memorable in a Rangers top that that's pretty much all I can remember. Papac nutmegged messi at Ibrox. 

Him being nowhere near Brown all day is the problem. Brown had free rule over the midfield and Barton was meant to be the man to stop that. I don't only blame Barton the rest of the spineless cunts are to blame aswell. But Barton was the only cunt with the brassneck to cause trouble despite being non existent all game. You needed to earn respect if you want to speak like that in a dressing room and that cunt had earned fuck all.

He probably didn't even give a fuck that we got humped just that brown embarrassed him in front of millions of people after he was running his mouth.

I wanted him to be a success and if he came ready for the fight he probably would have been. I don't get the whole him not getting a chance thing as he was the one that threw his toys out the pram. His antics in the Lincoln game the other day shows the measure of the man

6 hours ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

FFS, stop talking sense.

On 22/02/2017 at 10:26 AM, NeoGeo7 said:

Mentality - the characteristic way of thinking of a person or group.

How can one word have such an impact on our club?

Many older bears (and I'm inclined to include myself in this demographic in my 30s) will have been treated to squads with a winning mentality. A togetherness. A brotherhood with each player willing to sacrifice themselves for the team in whatever way required.

With images of battle heroes - Gough with blood on his face following the CSKA game, Prso with the head bandage against them just to cite a couple - we have seen Rangers players, and managers, come and go but this mentality lived on through their successors and through us the fans. So where does it come from and how have we managed to lose it?

As Warburton had stated from the beginning - and what every new signing seemed to be instructed to say - our club has so much history and steeped in traditions which seemed to suggest the players knew what they were coming into. However, fast forward 20 months and we have a squad softer than a baby's first shite. There's no fight, no desire, no winning mentality, no passion and just no Rangers class.

To understand where this has stemmed from you need to look at all angles.

Existing Squad
When the new players arrived in the summer of 2015 there were only a handful of players that remained from the McCoist train wreck. Bell, Wallace, McGregor, Zaliuskas, Law, Shiels, Clark, Templeton, Miller. Now thats a sorry list to say the least but with Miller and Wallace there you'd think that there would be a fair amount of desire and fight rubbing off on the other players. In the early stages under Warburton the players harrassed opponents. Chased every loose ball and rarely let the ball go out of play in a relentless assault on the opposition. So it appeared something was working, so perhaps it wasn't the existing squad.

New Arrivals
The new signings were not marquee signings. None of the players were regarded as prized assets at their current club. Granted with no money to spend (or very little) it was unlikely we'd ever find someone of that ilk who was also prepared to play in Scotland's second tier. So the players arrived from clubs that were struggling and where they were struggling to get regular games. This is a far cry from the players we have seen come and go over the years. Though as pointed out previously the players managed to get form quickly and rack up the wins, equalling Bill Struths 8 wins following his appointment - granted under much different circumstances. The new signings then appeared to take on a god-like status, the blue cafu, the kaiser etc. etc. We are all partly to blame for it but after so many years of painful viewing it seemed we had finally turned the corner and we had players who seemed capable of playing the fast, free-flowing, attacking football we had been crying out for for years.

Things then went sour after the elephant man sussed out how to disrupt our play. Confidence dipped and every point seemed more of a struggle with each passing game. It's in moments like that you rely on your inner strength as a squad - your mentality. Where was it though? Did the manager instill this by berating the players for dropped points? Did the captain scream at his colleagues on the park during the times of need? The simple answer is no.

The Manager
Warburton arrived claiming he wanted to create an atmosphere at the club where players wanted to train and play where each player was valued. It was an ideology but in many respects I think he managed to achieve it much to our current detriment. It's much like raising a child, you set the examples through your actions and your words for the child to build a mental model of what is acceptable or not as well as what is expected of you. So Warburton had to lead, he had to show the passion, the desire, the commitment and the selflessness required to be a Ranger. However he didn't get it. His interviews became increasingly easy to predict with the age old cliches thrown in for good measure. We want to send the fans home happy. Well at Rangers that remark means 3 points or die trying. We want players who will give blood, sweat and tears to get the result.

So is Warburton the sole cause of the mentality within the team? Where its ok to drop points as you'll get an arm round the shoulder "It's ok James, your positioning cost us 2 goals today and we lost away to Hearts, but you've trained well, you were brave on the ball and as long as you learn that mistakes cost goals, but you can keep making those mistakes and keep getting selected, then you'll be fine. Here have a new contract." Ok I'm exaggerating here but you get the drift. If the manager treats every player like that in this liberal, nicey nice, everyone is equal type environment then how can the players possibly be expected to show any backbone during difficult times.

The manager refused to criicise the players publically, shielding them from all angles of attack whether it be the mhedia or the fans. Now I understand why he was doing that but there comes a point when you need to let some one or a group of people know that its not good enough and do so publically so that they grow stronger as a result. For crying out loud even Lennon did this with Hibs loss to Raith Rovers!

Football is definitely the sort of sport where leadership and authority for a manager is vital. You need to have a manager where you are afraid of crossing them but they instill enough belief, confidence and commitment in you that you want to win for them. Essentially a father figure, a stern but loving hand. Smith had this. Advocaat had verged more on the authoritative side, stripping Amoruso of the captaincy for example. McLeish had it, even managing to get the best out of Fernando Ricksen. Then we had Le Guen who has a number of similarities with Warburton. They both underestimated the league and tried to buy passers, thinking that the stonethrowers in the other team would be so mesmorised by our skill and would be consumate gentlemen that they'd stand and just watch us pass the ball into the back of the net. Each manager had one player that stood up to them and basically said what they were doing was shite. For Le Guen it was Ferguson, for Warburton it was Barton. The board sided with Ferguson (effectively) whilst this board sided with the Warburton. Think what you like about Barton but he was the one player that seemed to say the 5-1 against Celtic was not just a bad result or about learning it was utter shite. The players were shite individually and collectively. These words should have been from the manager himself rather than a player who had been at the club a couple of months who then gets cast aside like some failed initiate of a cult.

However is the manager solely to blame?

Society
Now we go further into this and look at society and in particular this generation of footballers in there early to mid twenties. Society is crumbling as we speak. Democracy is just a word now as people take to the streets to protest about anything that hasn't gone their way because they are privileged and entitled. Coupled with the narcissism that runs rife throughout this generation "OMG this ham sandwich is totes amazeballs" its a good job we aren't faced with a world war on our hands as we'd been in a sorry state.

Our society is now fed with a silver spoon rather than being made up of hard working class people and I see a lot of that in our squad. The players have been wrapped in cotton wool by the manager and allowed to believe they are doing a fantastic job when really their standards dropped considerably about 15 months ago. If someone is doing a poor job and you tell them they are doing well, tell the press they are doing a good job then why would they bother their arses to try any harder. There seems to be no self motivation. The players don't seem to want to push themselves to see how far they can go they are happy just doing the bare minimum to get through it and have a good laugh during the process. Again this is something you see a lot of nowadays and therefore its possibly too much to expect the players we have signed to be any different.

We want a squad of players we can be proud of that even if they lack the technical ability of players we have been treated to in the past we know that when they pull on that jersey they'll be giving everything of themselves on the pitch to get the result. As Scott Nisbet pointed out about the 4-3 loss at Dens Park in 1992 the players were bricking it going into that dressing room and that authoritative figurehead is missing here. If the players cannot motivate themselves then you need a manager that can and if they can't motivate certain players then those players need to be shown the door.

No doubt about it the next manager has a huge task but the first thing that is required is who can cut it and who can't. We saw the same sort of clear out in 2015 but it appears this is what is required once more to give the new manager the chance to actually build a better squad with a far stronger mentality.

Some interesting points you make there.  Its funny i was thinking about lennon and hibs after their win yesterday, not to be too complimentary to him, but he has that fire,  that passion, the hatred of losing. It why imo he's better for hibs than stubbs. Sadly warburton doesn't have that either which is why its right he went. 

Warburton has some good ideas, tried to build the team up, but its that fear and drive that win u games, too many coasters,  too many not good enough. 

He doesnt have a team of players that would run through brick walls for this side. The only two that do in my opinion are hill and miller and they are far from in their prime. 

The problem with this squad sadly doesnt end there.  We could have as much commitment and effort as you like,  that still wont help this side create clear chances, it still wont stop this side making mistakes at the back,  it wont add pace to this tea, it wont add strength to our midfield. 

Personnel is not good enough for many reasons abd my concern is that the current board don't  have the resources to improve the team significantly. 

6 hours ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

24 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

FFS, stop talking sense.

Barton could've been this, could've been that, he was awful, spoke some amount of shite and so on.

Fuck him, tarrier bastard.