The captaincy.

Gaz52

Who should be captain?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Rangers Captain

• Miller
    • Wallace
    • Other (please state who)

I'm just wondering people's thoughts on this, to see if we're all on the same page. 

I think Miller should be the club captain, until the end of the season at least. Wallace isn't a captain, I've never once seen him show any leadership out on the pitch whereas whenever Kenny is on the park he does. He's the only player at the club who's proved he's Rangers class, even through the Walter Smith second-term, Miller was one of our best players, he knows what's needed from him and his fellow players to make it here. He also deals with the press much better than Wallace as well. 

Wholesale changes are needed and I think this is one of them. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kenny as motivational as he is is 37 years old and Wallace is 29 therefore still has a future at Rangers. 

I think to take the captaincy away from Wallace would undermine him and is the last thing we need at this stage. He is still one of our most consistent players and stuck by us when others left.

Miller, Wallace is a decent player, but he's not vocal enough to be our captain.

can you imagine half these imposters wearing out colours if big Gough was our captain?, they'd get told to fuck off!.

we need a real leader, I'd say kenny's the nearest we've got.

In the short term it has to be Lee Wallace for soldiering through with the responsibility without complaint. I think we owe him that.

Kenny can still use his influence on the park as he is respected by all. 

Would have been nice to see one or two others taking the responsibility on the park, but perhaps the rigidity of the "system" inhibited their expression on the park to a degree,

As I posted before, all the players now have 3 months to prove they have the character and ambition to play at Rangers and are willing to take some responsibility in the team. Those who do I would keep (by necessity, we can't just buy in 11 more players) and the rest can go. 

1 minute ago, The Blue Sea of Ibrox 2000 said:

Kenny as motivational as he is is 37 years old and Wallace is 29 therefore still has a future at Rangers. 

I think to take the captaincy away from Wallace would undermine him and is the last thing we need at this stage. He is still one of our most consistent players and stuck by us when others left.

Consistently an absolute liability. 

3 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Wallace's defending is actually getting worse.

he's as bad at defending as Tavernier which is quite an achievement.

He seems to be a confidence player. When things aren't going well,he struggles. It was the same at the end of the mccoist era. He seemed to down tools and had a can't be arsed look about him. He has that same look now to me

To be honest the aspiration would be a Rangers team that has 4-5 captains in it. You look back at any great Rangers either a few years ago or back in the dark and distant past and they are full of potential captains.

I agree with your post to a point - but the real issue is having a team for next season that is higher calibre and the discussion being a healthy argument between 4-5 genuine candidates. That of course requires investment. 

Guest Lloyd72
36 minutes ago, Ger77 said:

Someone new.

Since the Souness era we have bought other clubs Captain's or moulded our own young players into Captains. We had a team of Captain's now we have none although Miller is the closest.

A lot of the players we bought in the summer were captains Garner was captain of PNE, Hill was Captain of QPR, Barton was Captain of Burnley, Rossiter was the England under 19s captain, so you'd think we wouldn't have such a problem with mentality and leadership.

Leaders, those who actually motivate and get things done by their actions, their behaviour, their words and the way they say them, their example, their preparedness to call a spade a spade and mean it, to do what they set out to do......will do that whether or not they wear an armband.    They may do it a bit better if wearing an armband but by their nature they will still do it anyway.   

Whereas taking the armband off someone who may be less capable as a leader may have the unintended effect of weakening his game.

I'd leave things as they are for the rest of the season and reassess it under a new manager.  Besides which the Robertson, Dickson, King and the Board are so blinkered on what to do and how to do it in trying to appoint a DOF and Head Coach that they can't even be bothered to offer Miller a new contract.   Not a great bit of motiviation for Miller if on the one hand he's asked to take over a role of captain but at the same time nothing offered back by way of an updated contract. 

Leaders lead regardless of the bit of uniform they wear or fancy job title that denotes some sort of rank.    Pity the Board did not have some more effective leadership - especially at Chairman level.

I don't think one player has had pass marks over the course of the season.

Not one leads by example, not one excels in their role. 

The likes of Miller and Halliday show more commitment than some but it's nowhere near what they should be offering.

None have it in them to spur a team on, demand more from others, change a game in our favour.

We have no captains. 

I'd leave Wallace with the armband for now as it's irrelevant and no one else would do more until the end of the season.

Come summer that's just another job for the new gaffer.