Cammy Bell on MW

I was a big Warburton fan. I've kept my trap shut until now about his departure because I honestly didn't know what I thought. Regardless of Cammy Bell's ability (and the hatred shown to him by many on this thread), there is nothing that leads me to disbelieve anything that he's said in the article. There are many qualities that make up a Rangers manager. The dignity, tact and diplomacy side are one bit of it - a large bit in my eyes, but if you cannot manage people then all the rest goes out the window.

The whole situation is still a mess. I don't rate the board any higher at present than I do Warburton. Their idea of "saying nothing" simply isn't working just now and just hanging that poor bastard Graeme Murty out to dry doesn't cut the mustard.

We need strong leadership both on and off the field - we have neither at present, and no sign of that changing at all in the foreseeable future unfortunately :-( 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

It's easy to say he should have spoke up "when it matters" but what difference would it have made?

Barton criticised his management and tactics while he was here and he was hounded on here for it. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I think it did to be honest. Barton was the beginning of the end IMO. 

He's an absolute fud, but in hindsight he was correct and really divided the support. 

13 hours ago, rangersmad86 said:

I've even took all the adverts out for the moaning bastards amongst you ?...

CAMMY BELL has lifted the lid on life under Mark Warburton  at Rangers — and insists the axed boss was  not  up to the job.

Former Ibrox No 1 Bell claims that Warburton was a poor man-manager who HATED any confrontation, refused to accept criticism and let the size of Rangers swallow him up.

Dundee United keeper Bell — who left Gers at the end of last season — is the first dressing-room insider to reveal what was going on behind the scenes during Warburton’s reign.

He said: “I’m still not sure if he got to know the size of the club.

“Rangers is a worldwide institution with a great history.

“But even at the end I still wasn’t convinced he  understood how big it was.

“As soon as he came under pressure, he struggled.  It felt like he didn’t know where to go with the club. I think he had maybe taken things as far as he could.

“He didn’t like confrontation. A lot of demands were placed on the players to demand things from each other — which players should do.

“But there should also be a demand from a manager as well.

“I felt there were times when boys needed a rocket and it didn’t happen.”

In an explosive interview the former Light Blues stopper has exposed shortcomings he believes paved the way for Warburton’s Rangers exit.

Friday’s loss in Inverness again laid bare the woeful weaknesses in the Ibrox team.

Bell isn’t surprised to see the way things have gone for his old club this season.

He had a year under Warburton before joining Dundee United last summer.

It was enough to see first-hand where he felt Warburton was going wrong before being axed as manager a fortnight ago.

Bell told SunSport: “Mark was a good coach on the training pitch. He and Davie Weir worked well there.

“A lot of his ideas as a coach were really good but sometimes he wasn’t great in man-management.

Bell spent a year under Warburton at Rangers

“Looking at a few of his interviews, he didn’t like criticism. I think he was uncomfortable with criticism.

“He probably took it to heart more than anything, but as a Rangers manager you’re always in the firing line.

“You need to be able to deal with criticism as a Rangers manager.

“You need to be able to protect your players and try to bat away any negative influences and let them try to do their job to the best of their abilities, which gets results.

“He was also very stubborn in wanting plan A to work.

“I understood why he said his plan B was to play plan A better.

“But football is unpredictable and things happen in 90 minutes.

“The best managers in the world are the ones who can identify things need to be changed.

“If a formation isn’t working you need a plan B, C and D to make sure you get three points. That didn’t happen.”

Bell, 30, believes the way Warburton dealt with him summed up life under the Englishman.

The keeper had become No1 when Ally McCoist made his dream move happen in 2013.

Bell claims Warburton told him in January last year he could go on loan with Wes Foderingham first pick.

SunSport then broke the story he was wanted by Aberdeen.

Bell says Warburton struggled to speak to players who were not in starting XI

Bell admits there was a club ready to take him — only for that club to tell him Rangers had told them he wasn’t available.

He said: “Mark always seemed close to the guys who were playing. He found it difficult to speak to guys who weren’t in the team.

“From my own experience speaking to him one-to-one, he didn’t like it when you asked questions. I felt it difficult to get the right answer, or any answer out of him.

“There was a time I wasn’t playing but I wasn’t going in to demand I got a game.

“I was trying to go out on loan to get back after injury. I got told I could go on loan at one point then a week later found I couldn’t.

“But I only found out through having a loan club available. It was the loan club that told me I couldn’t go out on loan.

“It was difficult. If he’d pulled me into the office and told me I could no longer go on loan then at least I would have known. I kind of felt in the dark a little with him, as it needed a third party to tell me what was actually happening.”

Bell believes the final nail in Warburton’s coffin was the way he dealt with the crisis that was beginning to envelop him in what were to be his final weeks as boss.

He added: “Ultimately Rangers is all about winning games and for me nothing else was accepted the whole time I was there.

“That’s the way it should be and that’s why it’s been a disappointing season so far.

“He struggled towards the end and the pressure got to him.

Cammy Bell is now playing for Dundee United

“But I don’t think he took the pressure off the players when they were starting to get stick off the fans. It ended up a difficult period towards the end for him.

“At times he possibly didn’t choose his words right in interviews. I remember watching the Hearts game and it wasn’t up to Rangers’ standard.

“If he’d come out and been honest, said they’d not been good enough and it was unacceptable, the fans would have understood more.

“But there were a lot of excuses getting made. Fans can detect that and there were a lot of rumbles.

“Earlier in the season they lost 5-1 to Celtic. As a Rangers manager, after a defeat you sometimes need to say the players weren’t good enough.

“The demands at Rangers are to win every match, no matter who it’s against.

“Whether he realised that or not, I don’t know. Even though it was the first season back in the top flight it was never going to be acceptable to lose a game to anybody.

“Definitely not in the manner they have lost some games this season.

“Mark’s first season went well and there weren’t too many hiccups, but losing the Scottish Cup final to Hibs maybe dragged into this season.

“I don’t think he got the signings he’d have probably wanted and his recruitment hasn’t worked.

“I obviously wasn’t there at the end but it was plain as an outsider they weren’t playing fluently.

“The gameplan wasn’t working and players looked frustrated.

“You only had to look at the reaction of boys when they came off the pitch, they didn’t look happy.

“They were frustrated one way or another. You could see them moaning.

“That didn’t happen last year. When everything is going well obviously it’s a lot easier to deal with, but for me that’s when managers earn their money.

“When things aren’t going well it’s about being able to turn it around and change things when they’re going wrong on the pitch.

“It was clear to see that hasn’t been happening a lot this season because results haven’t gone the way Rangers would have hoped.”

Disappointed. Imo, It's a kiss and tell story. Not a good stance to take talking about ex managers whilst having/wanting a career in football. 

52 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

Disappointed. Imo, It's a kiss and tell story. Not a good stance to take talking about ex managers whilst having/wanting a career in football. 

Possibly, but so far - it would seem that he's pretty much on the money. Have you heard of a single player (present or recent) come out and say that Cammy Bell is wrong? The way I see it just now, Cammy Bell has made more sense than anyone else at the club over the whole sordid and sorry affair. Part of me agrees with you - but the other 80% says "Well done Cammy Bell for speaking out".

Just now, East Enclosure Row N said:

Possibly, but so far - it would seem that he's pretty much on the money. Have you heard of a single player (present or recent) come out and say that Cammy Bell is wrong? The way I see it just now, Cammy Bell has made more sense than anyone else at the club over the whole sordid and sorry affair. Part of me agrees with you - but the other 80% says "Well done Cammy Bell for speaking out".

agreed. I do think he's on the money, Just don't feel it's a good stance to take. 

5 hours ago, East Enclosure Row N said:

Aye, a year too late though. 

Shitebags interview IMO. Easy to slate someone after the fact, when he's no longer there to defend himself. 

Bell should shut up after the mess against motherwell.lucky he found a team to take him after that.I loved Warburton. But just the last 3 months have convinced me he ain't up to it.found out.took Suttons criticism to heart and was never the same since.some roots of recovery in the old firm game,we lost and never got 9ver it.therein lies our season.had we beaten they bastards I believe everything would be different now.Kennys post and foresters greed..even though Wes made 6 outstanding saves.onwards and upwards Rangers.No Surrender. Big eck and wee Barry till the end of the season will do this bear fine.the correct combination. 

No Surrender 

Rab