Scotland U16s

Capital Blu

I watched Scotland U16s beat Croatia 1-0 at the Oriam centre this afternoon.  Rangers were well represented with Brain Kinnear, Nathan Patterson, Adedapo Mebude and Billy Gilmour all starting and Zac Butterworh coming on as a sub.

I thought that Mebude was Scotland's best player, showing great pace, strength and no little skill.  He had four good chances and was denied by three good saves by the Croatian keeper and smacked a volley off the face of the bar with his other chance.  Gilmour had a relatively quiet first half but came onto a good game in the second as he upped his work rate.  Patterson also had a good game at right back.

Scotland's goal came in the second half from Connor McBride from Forth Valley, who had come on as a substitute for Mebude five minutes earlier.

Scotland's next game in this UEFA Development Tournament is against Iceland on Wednesday, before finishing against Austria on Friday.

coming back y/day from holiday in the costa del sol  the scotland under 17 lads and coaches were on the plane

i spoke to one of the coaches they played japan twice and both games ended nil nil

this was preperation for the under 17 euro championship in march played in scotland 1st game at mortons ground next 2 at paisley

there was 5 gers players in the squad houston rudden  cannot remember the other 3

might be worth going along to watch

7 minutes ago, billscott said:

coming back y/day from holiday in the costa del sol  the scotland under 17 lads and coaches were on the plane

i spoke to one of the coaches they played japan twice and both games ended nil nil

this was preperation for the under 17 euro championship in march played in scotland 1st game at mortons ground next 2 at paisley

there was 5 gers players in the squad houston rudden  cannot remember the other 3

might be worth going along to watch

Lewis Mayo, Stephen Kelly & Jack Thomson are the other Rangers players.

Our youths looking good. I do think we finally have a steady stream of players who are capable of the step up. McKay and Mcleod aside, the likes of aird, Crawford, Naismith, Cole, Hemmings, Sinnamon, Mitchel ( who I think we should've kept) and even telfer never really looked like they could make the step up, but I'll put that down to the coaching at the time. 

Interesting few years - hoping for a breakthrough of 2 or 3 Barry Fergusons over the next two years 

I'm  just back from Scotland U16s second game against Iceland today.  Scotland won 2-1 but found it more difficult, having gone behind to a cracking angled strike from the Icelandic left winger.

Billy Gilmour and Zac Butterworth both started the game, but Iceland had the better of the first half.  Scotland's equaliser was a bit against the run of play and came just before half time when Bagan from Southampton headed home from a Gilmour corner.

Gilmour was one of three players subbed at half time after quiet first half and the subs and a reorganisation of the defence let to Scotland having the better of the second half. 

Adedapo Mebude was the next sub to come on and again he made a difference, by putting defenders under pressure with his pace.  He was rewarded by scoring the winning goal just two minutes from time when he shot into the net from close range when the Icelandic defence failed to clear a corner.

The second half changes were key to Scotland's win, with substitutes Marc Leonard of Hearts and Medube being the influential figures.

Scotland won the tournament after a 2-2 draw and a 5-3 win on pens against Austria this morning, after coming back from two goals down.

Kinnear, Gilmour and Mebude all started, but Scotland were woeful in the first half and didn't even manage a shot.  The Austrians led at half time after their striker closed down a Kinnear clearance and reacted quickest to score from a tight angle.

Scotland improved after Dembele and Mebude were subbed early in the second half, but went two down when the Austrians scored after the Scots failed to clear a corner.

Scotland got back into the game two minutes later when both full backs combined for Hearts Chris Hamilton to score at the back post.  Nathan Patterson and Zac Butterworth then came on as subs and Scotland dominated proceedings from then onwards. The Austrians didn't help themselves by getting two players sent to the sin bin for kicking the ball away. Hibs Kane O'Connor had a headed goal disallowed for a push then Patterson saw a great shot cannon off the crossbar. 

Billy Gilmour ended the game in the sin-bin after the ref ruled he had dived looking for a penalty at the edge of the box. However, O'Connor rescued the game with a screamer from 25 yards in stoppage time.

It was a useful tournament for the Scots.  Mebude played well in the first two games and Patterson was excellent in each of his appearances. Gilmour and Butterworth were pretty quiet though.