Matt Gilks in Scottish Sun

K.A.I

Just now, Virtuoso said:

There's only two 'bigger games or teams' per season, bheasts and the sheep or are we now classing the likes of Motherwell as a bigger game / team?

One goal against the bheasts this season doesn't constitute 'doing it against bigger teams' imo.

I agree with you but I don't think he was saying Motherwell bigger game, think it was more because of him we turned 1 point into 3.

I think. I might have misread mate. 

It shows you the extent of what we need when it all starts getting laid out like this. Scary. 

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Gilks reminded me of Alexander in the UEFA Cup Final season. When he signed I was a bit "meh" but when Gilks stepped into the big game, that Celtic one, I was happy to be proved wrong. That was a performance and a half. Goram-like against Celtic. 

Agreed. Just a pity it did not have the same outcome as the majority of games during Goram's era.

*Special mention to the game at Parkhead when Brian O'Neil slipped on his arse and Laudrup scored the winner. Van Hooijdonk could still be playing that game right now and still wouldn't have found a way past Andy Goram. The Goalie had that special type of big-game mentality, especially in the derby games. He just decided he wasn't going to be beaten, no matter what... And most of the time, he was proved correct.

Just now, The Dude said:

This isn't a surprise. Joey Barton was sacked for showing some fight in the dressing room.

Was thinking this after seeing Bell's comments yesterday and these comments today. Andy Halliday must be the ultimate lick-arse tbh. It would explain a few things such as the Barton fiasco and his undroppable status. 

Just now, WadeWilson said:

Agreed. Just a pity it did not have the same outcome as the majority of games during Goram's era.

*Special mention to the game at Parkhead when Brian O'Neil slipped on his arse and Laudrup scored the winner. Van Hooijdonk could still be playing that game right now and still wouldn't have found a way past Andy Goram. The Goalie had that special type of big-game mentality, especially in the derby games. He just decided he wasn't going to be beaten, no matter what... And most of the time, he was proved correct.

That save from Van Hooijdonk the season before in the 3-3 Ibrox game. Still the best save I've ever seen and that game was at a time when I was a teenager, right into football and watching every game of football under the sun on Sky and Eurosport. 

Thinking about it now I don't think I've seen a better one period. 

4 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Was thinking this after seeing Bell's comments yesterday and these comments today. Andy Halliday must be the ultimate lick-arse tbh. It would explain a few things such as the Barton fiasco and his undroppable status. 

Halliday, apparently, comes out of it ok. It's our vaunted former manager who over-reacted to a wee argument 

1 hour ago, K.A.I said:

Can't copy and paste but he's saying his Rangers move was a nightmare because there was no fight in the dressing room.

He seen more fight in the Blackpool team and there was more team spirit there than there is/was at Rangers.

Again, can't really argue with the guy as it's probably obvious. Interesting comments though.

It puts the focus firmly on guys like Wallace, Wilson, Holt, Halliday, Miller, McKay etc who are either meant to be captains, young/Scottish and knows about the size of our club or self-confessed Rangers fans. 

Not one of them are good enough to be at our club. 

We'll he's a supposedly Scottish, international who was at the club. Step up and be a leader yourself Matt, rather than chucking it after 6 months because you couldn't displace a far superior keeper.

As little fight / balls as any of them. Same with Bell yesterday. Easy to say it after the fact when you're away. Do it at the time, either privately or publicly. 

6 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Daft comment. You've no idea about him in the dressing room or how he interacts with the managerial team.

2 ex players have came out, got paid money to get a dig in at their former club....that should be the headline.

Aye maybe what they're saying is absolutley spot on, been things fans have been saying for a while, maybe it's absolute shite and they're saying it because they've spat the dummy at getting punted by the club, point is you'll never know.

Said the same thing when it was Cammy, if it comes from a current player or even one who left on good circumstances, then i'll listen to what's being said....if it comes from somebody who isn't happy they weren't getting played and got let go then not interested in what's being said.

Just now, graeme_4 said:

Daft comment. You've no idea about him in the dressing room or how he interacts with the managerial team.

Daft comment? how would you describe him being so un-droppable then? playing ability? :lol: please say playing ability so I can ram the daft comment, comment back at you. 

40 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

You said he wasn't good enough to be here just now but he clearly is, this isnt Rangers of 5/6 year ago, we are where we are. Right now he is one of our better players so he doesn't fall under the names you mentioned in your OP.  

Ideally yeah we would have a far better squad than we do but we don't because we are skint and we aint likely to get much £ to better it. I'd rather have Miller here next season than most of the shite we have. 

Pretty simple I thought, guess not....

He's marginally better than some of them, but he's been pretty much anonymous for 3 in every 4 games. 

Scoring a few last minute winners doesn't make him infallible. 

14 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Gilks reminded me of Alexander in the UEFA Cup Final season. When he signed I was a bit "meh" but when Gilks stepped into the big game, that Celtic one, I was happy to be proved wrong. That was a performance and a half. Goram-like against Celtic. 

OK we'll forget him trying to dribble Rogic in the six yard box and nearly costing a goal. Gilks is a journeyman and no more and please refrain from comparing him to the Goalie in any shape or form?.

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

Daft comment? how would you describe him being so un-droppable then? playing ability? :lol: please say playing ability so I can ram the daft comment, comment back at you. 

He's not undroppable. He was dropped at the start of the season when we had better options (e.g. Barton and Rossiter) in the holding role. 

Its tough to drop him at the moment because we've literally no alternative 'holding' midfielder. 

He's in no way good enough, but to call him 'the ultimate lick arse' is a daft comment. You've no idea of how he conducts himself. 

12 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

That save from Van Hooijdonk the season before in the 3-3 Ibrox game. Still the best save I've ever seen and that game was at a time when I was a teenager, right into football and watching every game of football under the sun on Sky and Eurosport. 

World class and one of the best you'll ever see...

McCloy

Woods

Klos

Goram

McGregor even

An outstanding line-up of goalkeepers who have worn the jersey.

34 minutes ago, Virtuoso said:

Sorry, but one goal against the bheasts this season can hardly be classed as 'being relied on in bigger games'.

Scored against the sheep, two goals to get us through in the cup and just about every goal he's scored this season has been in a game where we've won by a single goal.

4 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

He's marginally better than some of them, but he's been pretty much anonymous for 3 in every 4 games. 

Scoring a few last minute winners doesn't make him infallible. 

Of course it doesn't but he at least shows up in some when most show up in none, that's the difference. At his age it's impossible to be what he was a decade ago in his prime. 

1 minute ago, graeme_4 said:

He's not undroppable. He was dropped at the start of the season when we had better options (e.g. Barton and Rossiter) in the holding role. 

Its tough to drop him at the moment because we've literally no alternative 'holding' midfielder. 

He's in no way good enough, but to call him 'the ultimate lick arse' is a daft comment. You've no idea of how he conducts himself. 

Shut up ya blouse it was a throwaway comment. 

In fact do you know how he conducts himself? naw ye don't so shut the fuck up :dance:

4 minutes ago, ianferguson said:

OK we'll forget him trying to dribble Rogic in the six yard box and nearly costing a goal. Gilks is a journeyman and no more and please refrain from comparing him to the Goalie in any shape or form?.

Can you no even give him credit for that game he was outstanding? it's meant to be me that get's it for not giving any credit. 

19 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I have two games mixed up as I thought that point-blank-range save was in the same game as the penalty save (and Gascoigne's penalty miss) and also Van Vossen etc.

You are absolutely spot-on with the comments about that save, regardless of which game it was in. I get slated all the time on here for saying this, but I have never seen a better shot-stopper in my lifetime than Andy Goram. Kahn, Schmeichel and Buffon can all fuck off.

But maybe I am biased...

I do mind this wee guy running rings around the hooped hordes. The fox in the box.

r-CELTIC-RANGERS-FOX-large570.jpg

Funny how us fans can question the fighting spirit but god forbid anyone else especially ex players say anything!!

gilks proved how good he was in the little game time he had but foderingham has been bar the odd mistake the difference between us sitting 3rd or lower down the league.

its no coincidence that these 2 say similar things that the Brentford player said after warburton had finished there. The one common denominator in all 3 stories was the manager

6 minutes ago, WadeWilson said:

I have two games mixed up as I thought that point-blank-range save was in the same game as the penalty save (and Gascoigne's penalty miss) and also Van Vossen etc.

You are absolutely spot-on with the comments about that save, regardless of which game it was in. I get slated all the time on here for saying this, but I have never seen a better shot-stopper in my lifetime than Andy Goram. Kahn, Schmeichel and Buffon can all fuck off.

But maybe I am biased...

I do mind this wee guy running rings around the hooped hordes. The fox in the box.

r-CELTIC-RANGERS-FOX-large570.jpg

Just a tad biased 

11 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Of course it doesn't but he at least shows up in some when most show up in none, that's the difference. At his age it's impossible to be what he was a decade ago in his prime. 

Yeh, he offers marginally more than most. But he's not great, or even good anymore. 

He's dour faced and moans a lot, but it doesn't make him a leader or motivator. It's clearly not working.