Stating the obvious - We need to defend.

Jakes Pal

Who ever our new manager may be I would hope that he takes a leaf out of the Souness play book and starts building from the back. GS signed Chris Woods and Terry (Turncoat) Butcher along with the likes of Graham Roberts and John Brown who made it incredibly difficult for the opposition to score against us.

As the thread title suggests, stating the obvious, stop them scoring and we will win, it is no surprise that we are struggling at the moment because in my 40 odd years of following Rangers I have never seen us so weak at the back.

Oh for a rejuvenated John Greig.

18 minutes ago, To Be A Ranger said:

You're a year late. We have been murder defensively for a long long time and it's been costing us big time. A  strong backbone is the key to any good side whereas we have a yellow streak that doesn't seem like it will be fixed any time soon.

I am not a year late, our Management is. In the short term we need a Jock Wallace, fix bayonets and charge type manager who would have our defenders cut the opposition in half before allowing them a shot on goal.

1 minute ago, Jakes Pal said:

I am not a year late, our Management is. In the short term we need a Jock Wallace, fix bayonets and charge type manager who would have our defenders cut the opposition in half before allowing them a shot on goal.

I agree. Never thought I would see a Rangers defence that turns their backs on the ball as if they're afraid of getting hurt by it, or fail to challenge in the air in their own box, or drift away from the players they are supposed to be marking, or pass straight to the opposition forwards or.... and so on. It's been so bad for so long that we should not be surprised that we leak stupid goals on a regular basis. We need players that defend as if their lives depend on it.

5 hours ago, To Be A Ranger said:

I agree. Never thought I would see a Rangers defence that turns their backs on the ball as if they're afraid of getting hurt by it, or fail to challenge in the air in their own box, or drift away from the players they are supposed to be marking, or pass straight to the opposition forwards or.... and so on. It's been so bad for so long that we should not be surprised that we leak stupid goals on a regular basis. We need players that defend as if their lives depend on it.

Kiernan turned his back on the shot for the first goal, different players but  the same thing cost us both goals at Dundee, its a right bugbear of mine.

6 hours ago, Jakes Pal said:

Who ever our new manager may be I would hope that he takes a leaf out of the Souness play book and starts building from the back. GS signed Chris Woods and Terry (Turncoat) Butcher along with the likes of Graham Roberts and John Brown who made it incredibly difficult for the opposition to score against us.

As the thread title suggests, stating the obvious, stop them scoring and we will win, it is no surprise that we are struggling at the moment because in my 40 odd years of following Rangers I have never seen us so weak at the back.

Oh for a rejuvenated John Greig.

I'd settle for Marvin Andrews just now.

1 hour ago, pcbear said:

Kiernan turned his back on the shot for the first goal, different players but  the same thing cost us both goals at Dundee, its a right bugbear of mine.

It's a disgrace. It was Hodson against Dundee. I don't understand why a team mate would let you off the hook on this.  Should have them by the throat.

4 hours ago, pcbear said:

Kiernan has been turning his back since he arrived at the club, literally. Go back and Watch any game you care to mention and you will see at least one instance of this.

It's beyond belief why any manager would entrust this guy in such a crucial position at Rangers . 

Defense is a problem IMO due to the players we have their, they all (pretty much) need shot of. Tav is a ball watcher and has not even a basic understanding of his positioning, Kiernan is a complete bombscare who again is a ball watcher constantly come out of position, has no spine and take no responsibility, hill is a "good" defender but is 38 year old. None of them see a clean sheet as important, none of these players love to defend, when i played in defense i would celebrate a tackle or a block i would fucking love stopping someone from scoring or getting past me, other than Hill none of our defenders have this.

Warburton seemed to put on emphasis on defence both in terms of recruitment and game preparation. 

Recruitment wise we signed Danny Wilson and Bombscare Bob Kiernan (adding Hill & the eternally pish Senderos this season) and got rid of a fairly solid performer in Darren McGregor who, for me, was no Franco Baresi, but much better than what we have presently

In training, there has clearly been no focus as we have been un-done with the same issues all the time - conceding weak goals at set pieces, lack of concentration and communication across the back line.

Every successful Rangers team has had a solid back line as it's foundation and we will continue to struggle, as we did again last night, until we have both the right personnel and right coaching for our defence.

I'd like to see a manager come in and build from the back. You will not win any league conceding a goal a game or worse.

I've never understood these coaches or managers who want to try and play "good football" (whatever that actually means) without building the foundations at the back to achieve it.