Will Pedro be the one.

Smile

PEDRO Caixinha, the Portuguese coach who is set to be confirmed as the new manager of Rangers this week, has an “aggressive” style and demands the “very best” from his players according to Jim Fleeting, the SFA Director of Football Development.

Fleeting worked with Caixinha when the 46-year-old was undertaking his coaching qualifications in Scotland and remembers him being an “extremely competent coach” who attained his A and B Licences with ease.

The appointment of the former Uniao Leiria, Nacional and Santos Laguna manager, who is currently in charge at Al-Gharafa in Qatar, ahead of the likes of Alex McLeish, Alex Neil and Gary Rowett has taken Scottish football by surprise.

However, Fleeting believes the experienced ex-Sporting Lisbon, Panathinaikos and Rapid Bucharest assistant - who followed the same route that his compatriot Jose Mourinho took into coaching after being personally urged to come here by the current Manchester United manager - will bring many qualities to the Ibrox role.

For he remembers how the SFA staff and other aspiring coaches had actually picked up advice on formations, man management and tactics from him while the former goalkeeper was at Inverclyde doing his training.

“Pedro completed his A Licence and his B Licence in Scotland, but he didn’t complete his UEFA Pro-Licence because he was offered a job during it and obviously had to take the opportunity,” said Fleeting. “He has done very well since which we obviously like to see.

“We have always had a sizeable Portuguese contingent on our coaching courses since Jose Mourinho, who was sent over here by Bobby Robson through his link with Andy Roxburgh, came over. He was kind enough to say some nice things about us. Last year we had three or four Portuguese coaches, including Costinha and Maniche.

“You always know you are going to see a few of them. We are fortunate because these boys bring something a bit different to the courses. We don’t like them to be the same. I sometimes think we are picking up as much from them as they are from us. It is always good to learn from other nationalities. 

“Alan Stubbs remarked the other day that he learned a great deal just from just sitting at the same table for an hour with Pedro and the other Portuguese coaches on the course and listening to them talking about the game.”

Fleeting continued: “There is a certain way and style that they have that we don’t have. They are aggressive in their coaching. It’s not done in a nasty sense. They aren’t offending anybody. They just want to get it right. Pedro is certainly like that. That is something that we could learn from. Maybe at times we can be a bit laid back in this country.

“I get to know all of the coaches who come on the courses, but over the years we have probably had between 16,000 and 20,000. But Pedro was, no doubt about it, an extremely competent coach who sailed through his A and B Licences no problem.

“The Portuguese are also quite cool and Pedro was certainly very calm and collected. But when they get to the pitch there is this switch which goes off. They are determined that when their team goes out there they are going to deliver, they going to be the best. They are determined to get the very best out of their players.

“They are very focused in making sure what they are asking of their players is realistic and is carried out effectively. They know their team is going to get the message."

Fleeting, the former Kilmarnock manager, has no concerns about the ability of Caixinha, who will be unveiled as Mark Warburton’s permanent successor once Rangers have agreed compensation with Al-Gharafa, to handle his pressure and expectations new role.

“To manage Glasgow Rangers is a wonderful opportunity for anybody,” he said. “They are the second biggest club in Scotland at this moment in time and at one time they were the biggest. I have no doubt the Rangers board and Rangers fans want to see them get back to that. Pedro is a bold appointment and I am sure they will not be disappointed.”

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Smile said:

PEDRO Caixinha, the Portuguese coach who is set to be confirmed as the new manager of Rangers this week, has an “aggressive” style and demands the “very best” from his players according to Jim Fleeting, the SFA Director of Football Development.

Fleeting worked with Caixinha when the 46-year-old was undertaking his coaching qualifications in Scotland and remembers him being an “extremely competent coach” who attained his A and B Licences with ease.

The appointment of the former Uniao Leiria, Nacional and Santos Laguna manager, who is currently in charge at Al-Gharafa in Qatar, ahead of the likes of Alex McLeish, Alex Neil and Gary Rowett has taken Scottish football by surprise.

However, Fleeting believes the experienced ex-Sporting Lisbon, Panathinaikos and Rapid Bucharest assistant - who followed the same route that his compatriot Jose Mourinho took into coaching after being personally urged to come here by the current Manchester United manager - will bring many qualities to the Ibrox role.

For he remembers how the SFA staff and other aspiring coaches had actually picked up advice on formations, man management and tactics from him while the former goalkeeper was at Inverclyde doing his training.

“Pedro completed his A Licence and his B Licence in Scotland, but he didn’t complete his UEFA Pro-Licence because he was offered a job during it and obviously had to take the opportunity,” said Fleeting. “He has done very well since which we obviously like to see.

“We have always had a sizeable Portuguese contingent on our coaching courses since Jose Mourinho, who was sent over here by Bobby Robson through his link with Andy Roxburgh, came over. He was kind enough to say some nice things about us. Last year we had three or four Portuguese coaches, including Costinha and Maniche.

“You always know you are going to see a few of them. We are fortunate because these boys bring something a bit different to the courses. We don’t like them to be the same. I sometimes think we are picking up as much from them as they are from us. It is always good to learn from other nationalities. 

“Alan Stubbs remarked the other day that he learned a great deal just from just sitting at the same table for an hour with Pedro and the other Portuguese coaches on the course and listening to them talking about the game.”

Fleeting continued: “There is a certain way and style that they have that we don’t have. They are aggressive in their coaching. It’s not done in a nasty sense. They aren’t offending anybody. They just want to get it right. Pedro is certainly like that. That is something that we could learn from. Maybe at times we can be a bit laid back in this country.

“I get to know all of the coaches who come on the courses, but over the years we have probably had between 16,000 and 20,000. But Pedro was, no doubt about it, an extremely competent coach who sailed through his A and B Licences no problem.

“The Portuguese are also quite cool and Pedro was certainly very calm and collected. But when they get to the pitch there is this switch which goes off. They are determined that when their team goes out there they are going to deliver, they going to be the best. They are determined to get the very best out of their players.

“They are very focused in making sure what they are asking of their players is realistic and is carried out effectively. They know their team is going to get the message."

Fleeting, the former Kilmarnock manager, has no concerns about the ability of Caixinha, who will be unveiled as Mark Warburton’s permanent successor once Rangers have agreed compensation with Al-Gharafa, to handle his pressure and expectations new role.

“To manage Glasgow Rangers is a wonderful opportunity for anybody,” he said. “They are the second biggest club in Scotland at this moment in time and at one time they were the biggest. I have no doubt the Rangers board and Rangers fans want to see them get back to that. Pedro is a bold appointment and I am sure they will not be disappointed.”

No, I hope not.

Plus, we are and always have been the biggest

If he is appointed this week and we have a good finish to the season I don't want to see people calling him the new Mourinho etc,and on the other hand I don't want him to get slated if we continue on course to make a royal arse of the remainder of this campaign.

Let's see where we are halfway through next season.

Guest Lloyd72
Just now, BridgeIsBlue said:

If he is appointed this week and we have a good finish to the season I don't want to see people calling him the new Mourinho etc,and on the other hand I don't want him to get slated if we continue on course to make a royal arse of the remainder of this campaign.

Let's see where we are halfway through next season.

Till the end of the season is just a period where he can see who he wants to keep and who he doesn't. We can't judge him until he is using his own team with his own players (assuming we back him enough to buy those players)

I am so hoping to be wrong........ (which may suggest I wont be)

There is no way in this world that a new manager from a foreign country will quickly realise the way to beat a tim team that is simply better than anything around...including us.

Its a hard truth to swallow....but we simply don't have the players to compete when the going gets tough.

Not looking forward to this,....but would love to be proven wrong.

Not convinced at all but I've resigned myself to the fact he's our man. Might as well get used to it now - I've said my piece already so all that's left now is to give him a chance to prove myself and other doubters wrong.

He needs funds however - this is the big elephant in the room that will never go away. He won't do anything with this crop - no-one would it doesn't matter if it's Graham Murty or Antonio Conte. 

He needs a fighting chance and needs backed financially - no board appointed DOF will mask that. 

18 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Not convinced at all but I've resigned myself to the fact he's our man. Might as well get used to it now - I've said my piece already so all that's left now is to give him a chance to prove myself and other doubters wrong.

He needs funds however - this is the big elephant in the room that will never go away. He won't do anything with this crop - no-one would it doesn't matter if it's Graham Murty or Antonio Conte. 

He needs a fighting chance and needs backed financially - no board appointed DOF will mask that. 

If we don't invest in the summer I'm done. That proves beyond all reasonable doubt kings taking us for a ride. 

5 hours ago, Dlydon81 said:

Does anyone know how successful he's been as a manager or is this us trying to uncover a gem before we're priced out of the market?

I'll be honest, I'm struggling to get excited but hopefully I get proved wrong.

Sure Weiss plays for him so there is one link that the papers will start touting no doubt

6 hours ago, Smile said:

Any new manager is a step into the unknown, certain players who were good under one manager may not suit, be happy or just not fancy it under another guy and vice versa.

We are where we are financially, we can't sign the superstar manager we want or even fund the players you would presume that they would want.

We can only hope that the new guy whoever he may be, is successful and that in 18 months time we are in a better position than we were 18 months into Warburton's reign.

Onwards & Upwards.

Contrast this to the pile of pish from Kris Boyd yesterday, and you start to get more of a picture as to why the board are picking him. 

That said, they could pick Mourinho, but if they don't back him in the transfer market he hasn't a hope. 

Funds for players are required, and that's the bottom line.