Waghorn

stewaj3

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to go in the summer, he's really not good enough. Week after week he fluffs so many good chances it's at the stage it's pathetic. Today was the final straw, he's done that fuckin striker programme aswell which has done heehaw for him. We need a 25-30 goal striker and he ain't it.

Has always been a confidence player - had he taken either or both of those chances at the weekend, I would've backed him to go on a decent scoring run. 

He may still take something from the game as a whole though, who knows, but we could do with it for the run in and the Cup. 

He played well yesterday and gave their defence some problems. I think he's much better suited to playing through the middle like that also but he's just not consistent enough in front of goal at this level. The 1v1 he had yesterday needs to be buried, the 2nd he missed was pretty good work from Gordon so I can kinda forgive that one but at this level you need a striker that will consistently put at least 1 of those kind of chances in the back of the net.

Being good enough for this level was always the worry with Waggy and a lot of the guys who were brought in by Warburton in his first season and unfortunately it turns out many of them aren't.

Worked his socks off, and held up the ball wall imo. His physicality helped combat their two CBs. Was just what we needed, to prevent the ball bouncing back at us after every clearance under pressure. 

He's fine as a squad player at CF, but he's not a starter for a League winning team. I said in the match thread at the time yesterday that a Jelavic level of player buries the first one yesterday - that's what investment gets you.

That said, there wasn't much else he could have done with the second one. Have to give Gordon credit there, he was off his line very, very quickly to close the angle. 

11 minutes ago, james_85 said:

Never got the composure to score 20-30 goals a season. Any half decent striker would have placed the ball past Gordon. 

I knew he would fluff it, he seems to have a mare when he was time to think about things. 

Investment is needed in a striker who can finish, we will probably need to sell guys like Waghorn to help fund it and free wages too. He will be no loss though. 

2 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Worked his socks off, and held up the ball wall imo. His physicality helped combat their two CBs. Was just what we needed, to prevent the ball bouncing back at us after every clearance under pressure. 

He's fine as a squad player at CF, but he's not a starter for a League winning team. I said in the match thread at the time yesterday that a Jelavic level of player buries the first one yesterday - that's what investment gets you.

That said, there wasn't much else he could have done with the second one. Have to give Gordon credit there, he was off his line very, very quickly to close the angle. 

Agreed with the 2nd one, at the time I was shouting fuck sake Waggy but when you watch it back afterward it was good play by Gordon.