Pedros Local Assistant

bluchoo

1 hour ago, Lloyd72 said:

THE wisdom of adding Barry Ferguson to Pedro Caixinha’s backroom team at Ibrox has been questioned by many Rangers fans in recent days due to his far from auspicious stint in the dugout at Clyde.

Ferguson left Broadwood last month after two and a half seasons in charge with his side sitting in third bottom spot in Ladbrokes League Two. So why, many have asked, is he being considered for a coaching role at his former club?

The 39-year-old is one of the Scottish coaches – John Brown, Neil McCann, Lee McCulloch and Alex Rae are among the others – who Caxinha is currently contemplating bringing in to help him in Glasgow.

Scott Linton, the Clyde defender cum midfielder, believes that opting for the one-time Rangers captain would be an inspired decision by the newly-appointed Portuguese manager.

Linton was persuaded to move from Championship club Dumbarton to League Two outfit Clyde by Ferguson at the start of last season and hasn’t, despite the difficulties they are experiencing this term, regretted his decision once.

The 27-year-old enjoyed working under the rookie manager, who led Clyde to third place in the fourth tier table last season and then took them through to the play-off final, and stressed that he would bring a lot of positive attributes to Rangers.

“I know the position that Clyde are in in the table at the moment doesn’t look fantastic,” he said. “Anyone looking in from the outside might think Barry didn’t do a great job here. But he did a massive amount of good work behind the scenes.

“I played all of last season under Barry and this season up until he left. It was a great experience. He was the reason why I dropped down from Dumbarton to Clyde in League Two. The fact that he was in charge convinced me to make the move.

“I liked the desire that he showed, the will to win he had. We met up and had a chat for a good hour and I decided that the pros outweighed the cons.

“I thought: ‘If there’s anyone I am going to learn from it’s the ex-Scotland and ex-Rangers captain’. I have always found, having played under many different managers, that it is good to work with somebody who has enjoyed a decent career.

“You learn so much just from sitting and listening to them. You pick up the things which stood them in good stead in their own playing days. I have worked under Danny Lennon, Jimmy Nicholl, Colin Cameron and Ian Murray. But Barry is probably the manager who I have had who has enjoyed the best career.”

Linton added: “I was really, really impressed with a lot of the aspects of his managerial style and with many of the qualities which he brought to the role.

“The first thing that struck me about Barry when I started playing under him at Clyde was his sheer will to win. I always used to tell anyone who asked me what he was like was that it was just outrageous how much he wanted to win, to win anything.

“When he was standing there in the dressing room before a game he was more up for the match than some of the players were. His desire and his passion were incredible.”

Linton recalled how Ferguson, who kept Blackpool in the English Championship after being promoted from player caretaker manager halfway through the 2013/14 season following Paul Ince's sacking, treated part-time minnows Clyde like a full-time professional club.

“Barry’s preparation for games was incredible,” he said. “As I say, people looking in from the outside won’t realise it, but the amount of hard work and effort he put in to bring Clyde success was incredible.

“He brought in a video analysis guy to look at our performances. When we had an away game that required a long journey, against Elgin for example, he would take us away on a Friday night and we would stay at the best hotels. He demanded the very best of everything even though we were working with a part-time club’s budgets.

“Everything was run like it would be a full-time club under Barry. We were really well looked after. In fact, we got treated like royalty. We were his main priority. I will never say a bad word about him or what he tried to do at Clyde.

“When you are a part-time club you all have jobs and train twice a week you can’t spend a lot of time on tactics and shape. You want to enjoy yourselves and have fun. But he would always look at the opposition and how we would approach matches.”

Linton, who is currently sidelined with a hernia injury, feels that Ferguson’s methods may be better suited to a top flight club and has predicted he will not be overawed in the slightest the demands there will be on Caixinha to succeed at Rangers.

“I felt sorry for Barry at Clyde in a way,” he said. “When you’re a part-time player your priority is your job and then your family. Don’t get me wrong, you want to play well, you want to win and you take it seriously, but football is secondary.

“I think if Barry takes that desire to be the best that he has in to a full-time club he will get more out of the job. His will to win, his work ethic, the high standards that he sets are more suited to a full-time club.

“He knows what is required to succeed at Rangers having been there as a player before. I think they will be bringing in the right man if they do go for him. He knows the club inside out. They could do a lot worse than bring in Barry Ferguson.”

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/15174814._quot_Barry_Ferguson_set_high_standards_for_us_at_Clyde___he__39_d_be_a_great_addition_to_the_Rangers_coaching_staff_quot_/

You never hear back from these people when they turn out to be wrong. 

1 hour ago, Blues Brother said:

I'd think this job would be ideal for maybe Ian Ferguson. Not sure if he is still in Oz coaching/manager.

but he is certainly a guy who would tick a few of the boxes and certainly has vast experience of being a winner at Rangers. 

I think Ian Ferguson would be a great shout.

Highly successful player (more medals than any other Ranger I think)

He now has many years experience in management.

He's no shrinking violet and I doubt any player would slack off and risk the hair drier treatment from the big man.

Trouble is, would you leave paradise (the real one, not the pedo one) to come back to this shitehole? :dunno:

42 minutes ago, BloodRunsBlue said:

I think Ian Ferguson would be a great shout.

Highly successful player (more medals than any other Ranger I think)

He now has many years experience in management.

He's no shrinking violet and I doubt any player would slack off and risk the hair drier treatment from the big man.

Trouble is, would you leave paradise (the real one, not the pedo one) to come back to this shitehole? :dunno:

Not for a third assistant, bib controller no. Think we're seriously over-hyping this role.

from listening to pedro - it doesn't sound like this role is anything more than a guy to educate him a bit about the club, it doesn't sound at all like a proper coaching role or assistant manager roll more like "assistant to the manager" for any american office fans...

I can't see anyone who is looking to get into management as such being considered, ferguson really isn't for this role, he's already said he wants to get into the management and he's got previous with managers trying to modernise the setup....

Lovenkrands for me is a decent shout

9 hours ago, Jack The Flipper said:

The only person we want with true authority is Pedro, he's the gaffer. Much rather have a professional enthusiastic coach that doesn't have much authority than a Barry ferguson type coach - unprofessional, egotistical, and moany. Can easily imagine Ferguson undermining Pedro, certainly not with lovenkrands.

Aye I know what you mean about Ferguson. His aggressive moany style could have negative consequences if he becomes too critical.

That's why I think Miller would be a good choice. Passionate, no nonsense but in a positive encouraging way with trying to drive them all on. Atleast until we sign some fookin proper men. Bad day when you have to worry that too severe a rocket up our teams arse could cripple them. Never thought I'd see a poofy Rangers side :troll:

Miller would also save us a wage and let us make use of him when he needs rested or fazed out so that we still get a return on the wage.

I see what people are getting at with Lovenkrands more now as he is an enthusiastic wee dude and it is the third role so less needing authority but he just strikes me as too soft and friendly for a role with men at the country's top club.

See to be honest though, your right in many respects as it's not a hugely important role and players would perhaps like a wee positive encouraging cunt who gets them going after Pedro dishes out a bit of treatment. Fergie doesn't strike me as having a lot of that side to him but Miller does. He would be my first choice.

27 minutes ago, William McBeath said:

Aye I know what you mean about Ferguson. His aggressive moany style could have negative consequences if he becomes too critical.

That's why I think Miller would be a good choice. Passionate, no nonsense but in a positive encouraging way with trying to drive them all on. Atleast until we sign some fookin proper men. Bad day when you have to worry that too severe a rocket up our teams arse could cripple them. Never thought I'd see a poofy Rangers side :troll:

Miller would also save us a wage and let us make use of him when he needs rested or fazed out so that we still get a return on the wage.

I see what people are getting at with Lovenkrands more now as he is an enthusiastic wee dude and it is the third role so less needing authority but he just strikes me as too soft and friendly for a role with men at the country's top club.

See to be honest though, your right in many respects as it's not a hugely important role and players would perhaps like a wee positive encouraging cunt who gets them going after Pedro dishes out a bit of treatment. Fergie doesn't strike me as having a lot of that side to him but Miller does. He would be my first choice.

Totally agree mate, you can't have too many bad cops so to speak, I would say you really want a manager who commands respect and is a little feared. Yet you have other coaches, captains and players whom are a shoulder to cry on. Although I'm saying the manager should be a little feared, he has to be fair.

I guess it all comes down to the type of people being managed here, I haven't been in that kind of management but have been a manager elsewhere. What seems to work with people in general is having a support network which relay ideas to the workforce with a nicey nicey but firm approach. If that fails, then a situation getting escalated to a higher management tier often gets individuals to sit up and take some notice.

To have all of this happening at the same level - eg Pedro being nicey nicey one minute then a hard arse the next, I guess it's harder to pull off. Perhaps the players might not take his hard ass side seriously, then Pedro starts handing out punishments and this ends up in crushing moral. It's quite complicated maybe and I'm simplifying things because of my limited knowledge.

I'll stop babbling :p: 

1 hour ago, Big Al II said:

Not for a third assistant, bib controller no. Think we're seriously over-hyping this role.

I agree. Ian Ferguson would be hugely over qualified for this role, and he would never want it.

However, hypothetically, if he did want to find a post back her and attach himself to the club he holds legend status at.......He would be, hands down, the best name mentioned so far.  IMO.

He'd make a great assistant manager.

5 hours ago, Blues Brother said:

I'd think this job would be ideal for maybe Ian Ferguson. Not sure if he is still in Oz coaching/manager.

but he is certainly a guy who would tick a few of the boxes and certainly has vast experience of being a winner at Rangers. 

Oh fuk yes in a heartbeat BUT he seems pretty well-settled down-under and his style of play, high pressing, is exactly what Pedro wants from the squad. 

If he just wants 'educated about the club', save money and tell him to take Johnny Hubbard and John Greig out for a pint and a meal, they'll educate him for free.

I doubt we even need a "local assistant".  It's a job that's been created to appease those fans who want a Rangers man in there.  Some fans need a person they can identify with and who they believe share similar values.  Give it to any former player who holds popularity among the support and let's move on.

1 minute ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

I doubt we even need a "local assistant".  It's a job that's been created to appease those fans who want a Rangers man in there.  Some fans need a person they can identify with and who they believe share similar values.  Give it to any former player who holds popularity among the support and let's move on.

Pedro has said whenever he's worked abroad he gets a local assistant in mate, so I think this has come from Pedro not to appease fans.

This is a C&P from a post made by 'Sir Duncan Ferguson' of FF and it saves me typing out similar.

The article that it comes from

http://www.<No links to this website>/sport/football/football-news/rangers-role-barry-ferguson-would-10086904

-----------------------------------

"Interview in the Record with Bob Malcom on why Ferguson should get the number 3 gig. Basically it reads like a call sheet of why Ferguson shouldn't be near the job. According to Bob

Ferguson wouldn't be happy simply to act as a buffer between manager and players

Ferguson would want a major say and input into tactics and what's going on at the club

Ferguson would have his eyes on the manager's job as soon as he's set foot in the door

Ferguson would able to bring a 'certain calibre' of player to the club and they would want to play for him

Ferguson is needed because the new manager is a foreigner and Rangers don't want to go back to the Paul Le Guen days

Ferguson brought players to Clyde that were better than the league they were in (Bob fails to tell us why Barry then led them to 3rd bottom)

Bear in mind this is coming from his best mate. Not a journalist. Not a think piece. This is his assistant for the past three years telling us what to expect.

We can't say we weren't warned."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd prefer Alex Rae or John Brown but tbh none of the candidates really stand out to me.

8 minutes ago, buster. said:

This is a C&P from a post made by 'Sir Duncan Ferguson' of FF and it saves me typing out similar.

The article that it comes from

http://www.<No links to this website>/sport/football/football-news/rangers-role-barry-ferguson-would-10086904

-----------------------------------

"Interview in the Record with Bob Malcom on why Ferguson should get the number 3 gig. Basically it reads like a call sheet of why Ferguson shouldn't be near the job. According to Bob

Ferguson wouldn't be happy simply to act as a buffer between manager and players

Ferguson would want a major say and input into tactics and what's going on at the club

Ferguson would have his eyes on the manager's job as soon as he's set foot in the door

Ferguson would able to bring a 'certain calibre' of player to the club and they would want to play for him

Ferguson is needed because the new manager is a foreigner and Rangers don't want to go back to the Paul Le Guen days

Ferguson brought players to Clyde that were better than the league they were in (Bob fails to tell us why Barry then led them to 3rd bottom)

Bear in mind this is coming from his best mate. Not a journalist. Not a think piece. This is his assistant for the past three years telling us what to expect.

We can't say we weren't warned."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd prefer Alex Rae or John Brown but tbh none of the candidates really stand out to me.

Funny, exactly what a lot of us were saying about Ferguson is confirmed.

He should be no where near that position.

As I've already said, could be Pedros biggest mistake.

Cheers for the headsup mate

Alex Rae is the standout and IMO the correct choice for this position.

The purpose of this role is to be able to provide an insight into the other scottish teams. How they're likely to set up, who are the key dangermen etc etc. Alex Rae has his pro license and is only recently removed from the St Mirren job. He'll have his finger right on the pulse of Scottish football. 

Ferguson has worked at a lower level so not sure why everyone is wanking over him. Lovenkrands -- I like but I'd question how much he knows about the other teams outside of Rangers. Bomber is a bit of a dinosaur and should be nowhere near the post