Andy Halliday

Carsons Dog

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would never get personal about a player, and don't mean any disrespect to the boy because he's done what most of us dreamt of by pulling on that jersey, so fair play to him. But he just isn't good enough and never will be good enough to be in a title winning side for us. Hopefully Pedro moves on the deadwood that Warburton left behind

It's a bit like asking a central holding midfielder to become a flair winger. Unrealistic.

It's been a tough gig for Andy. He's tried his best in that role but has pretty much failed.

Not been the experience I'm sure he'd have hoped for, and unlikely he's one that a new manager would have under the "must keep" category.

That said, he's worn the jersey and lived the dream.

Edit

Thought we were better shaped for him not being present on Sunday though imagine even injured he'd have contributed more on the left than Barrie did.

3 minutes ago, williamcarvel9 said:

Would never get personal about a player, and don't mean any disrespect to the boy because he's done what most of us dreamt of by pulling on that jersey, so fair play to him. But he just isn't good enough and never will be good enough to be in a title winning side for us. Hopefully Pedro moves on the deadwood that Warburton left behind

I think at this juncture the whole squad is under trial. I've seen this a hundred times over the years, not just at Rangers but other clubs too. 

Players are sometimes misused or lost in an average squad. Recent examples are Barrie McKay until MW came in. Look at Stuart Armstrong under Delia then Rodgers comes in  

there is undoubtedly a lot of average players in our squad. Some will be quickly moved on or simply left out the plans but I'm hoping that some will flourish. A lot of this will be how good a coach Pedro is. If he comes in and does a great job then he will have turned around or improved several of the current team. 

Im going to keep an open mind and not single out whose staying or going, that's Pedro's job now. 

Hopefully he develops 7-8 of the current squad and has a few players out there he's aware of that can come in and improve us considerably too. 

8 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

It's a bit like asking a central holding midfielder to become a flair winger. Unrealistic.

It's been a tough gig for Andy. He's tried his best in that role but has pretty much failed.

Not been the experience I'm sure he'd have hoped for, and unlikely he's one that a new manager would have under the "must keep" category.

Edit

Thought we were better shaped for him not being present on Sunday though imagine even injured he'd have contributed more on the left than Barrie did.

I think Sunday showed that you don't always need an out and out defensive midfield player. As long as you have two players with enough energy to hold shape but also press well, then the balance is better

9 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Edit

Just on the subject of Barrie. I would love to see him in that no. 10 role. Hopefully PC sees it too. 

1 minute ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

I think at this juncture the whole squad is under trial. I've seen this a hundred times over the years, not just at Rangers but other clubs too. 

Players are sometimes misused or lost in an average squad. Recent examples are Barrie McKay until MW came in. Look at Stuart Armstrong under Delia then Rodgers comes in  

there is undoubtedly a lot of average players in our squad. Some will be quickly moved on or simply left out the plans but I'm hoping that some will flourish. A lot of this will be how good a coach Pedro is. If he comes in and does a great job then he will have turned around or improved several of the current team. 

Im going to keep an open mind and not single out whose staying or going, that's Pedro's job now. 

Hopefully he develops 7-8 of the current squad and has a few players out there he's aware of that can come in and improve us considerably too. 

I understand what you're saying and maybe he will get given the chance. However he was left winger turned left back turned central midfielder. Released by Middlesbrough then by Bradford for the LW LB positions, then all of a sudden becomes a central midfielder under Warburton for us. I just do not see him having a future

Just now, williamcarvel9 said:

I understand what you're saying and maybe he will get given the chance. However he was left winger turned left back turned central midfielder. Released by Middlesbrough then by Bradford for the LW LB positions, then all of a sudden becomes a central midfielder under Warburton for us. I just do not see him having a future

I'm not defending AH mate. My point was more generic. You look at certain players right now and think he's not good enough - full stop. However a proper coach (and let's pray PC is one) can instill new belief into players, use them more effectively and improve/develop them. 

Who these players will be? Who knows? But hopefully he creates 5-6 that reach a level and bolster the squad with similar and we can challenge next year. 

7 minutes ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

Just on the subject of Barrie. I would love to see him in that no. 10 role. Hopefully PC sees it too. 

Said that for ages now. 

The boy is never a winger in the sense of turning fullbacks inside out and pinging great crosses in.

But by fuck he can spot and execute a tremendous pass. If we could find a really intelligent striker to play just ahead of him, I believe he would set up a shit load of chances for goals. 

I was thinking in the run up to the last few OF games it turned into a bit of a Halliday v Brown circus with repeated comparisons about who was going to do what to who.

That pic of them staring at each other kept getting wheeled out and we maybe took our eye off the ball a bit.

That clearly didn't happen this time.

Got a lot of time for him . He has been played out of position ever since he joined us and never complained. Always 100% commitment but I think even in his  natural position he would not be at the level we require. I expect next season he will be a squad player at best . I would love him to prove me wrong but don't think he will make the level we need 

He's been rotten recently, and is never a holding midfielder.

Its odd that the fact that he is a Rangers's fan somehow ends up getting him more abuse from Rangers fans. It's not like he picks himself. 

Think theres a place for him as a squad cover player. 

am beginning to wonder however, how much of some of these players poor performances were down to either the style or the coaching. i am not a good footballer, and I have played multiple positions through the middle and i dont see how a midfielder like him could fuck that up so badly, there are basic rules to follow and you do that, simple as that, you stay central you play quick simple passes you pass forward as much as possible and you don't venture far from the center circle, and dont dive into tackles, stay on your feet, and fore the opposition either wide or inside depending. he never did any of those things at all in any way shape or form and that just does not compute with me, how can he not know, or find out that. First time i had to play CDM i youtubed a video of Makalele...job done i got this just in about 10 minutes...also with Haliday his passion has wavered in the dundee game he was at fault for one of the goals because he could not be arsed running back to help out the team...think his popularity with some fans got to his head and he thinks he can do anything and will not be held responsible.

Andy Halliday's best games for us have been when he's playing as one of the advanced midfielders, basically running around getting in opponents faces and driving forward.

We're asking him to sit in front of the defence and control the game with his passing which he's not good enough to do.  

Tough one for this player because if it's decided his best role in this team is a defensive midfielder then he'll be moved on as there are far better players in that position that we could get.  It all depends on how the gaffer wants to set his team up and fwiw I doubt we'll see the 4-3-3 or any imitation of it.  In a 4-5-1 I think there's a place for Halliday on the left side of a central 3.  If we're going to be hard to beat then this is the best formation in my view with the current players we have

After his pisstake of a warm up against Hamilton in the cup I'm glad he wasn't included regardless of injury.

He was too busy heading over the fans to take pictures etc instead of actual completing his warm up on the sidelines, did this when we were up 1-0 and then later on also, clearly showed no respect for the Murty at that point.

17 minutes ago, JRodgA2k8 said:

After his pisstake of a warm up against Hamilton in the cup I'm glad he wasn't included regardless of injury.

He was too busy heading over the fans to take pictures etc instead of actual completing his warm up on the sidelines, did this when we were up 1-0 and then later on also, clearly showed no respect for the Murty at that point.

Think you're reading too much into it.