Alex McLeish believes he would be suited to becoming a director of football

Smile

_60228769_alex_mcleish_getty.jpg

Alex McLeish believes he would be suited to becoming a director of football as Rangerscontinue their search to fill that very vacancy.

The Ibrox board have drawn up a short list for the right candidate to work with manager Pedro Caixinha and implement a new structure at Ibrox. Southampton's Ross Wilson has already knocked back the opportunity, while former Spurs head of recruitment Paul Mitchell continues to be linked.

However, ex-Rangers manager McLeish has admitted it is a role that increasingly intrigues him on the back of missing out on several managerial posts south of the border. And, despite not quite throwing his hat into the ring to be considered, the 58-year-old backed himself to have the necessary talents and expertise to fulfill the crucial post at the club he once guided to a treble.

“Go down a new career path? Well you never know," he said.

“It’s something I have considered and obviously a director of football can also be influential in terms of recruitment, which is the most important part after you install your coach.

“It’s something that has been in my mind for a wee while with getting overlooked for some of the bigger jobs in England.

“I’ve done my wee stint abroad, and I wouldn’t rule going abroad again, it was great coaching out there and working with sporting directors and directors of football. You get a wee feel for that.

“At Genk it was a wee bit different because the sporting director had chosen all the players and I just worked with a group for the whole season that were mine. I didn’t bring anyone in.

“And that was a club who were trying to consolidate and we did it quite nicely. I’ve got those kind of capabilities I feel, yeah."

McLeish had been linked with replacing Mark Warburton as manager while his name was also mentioned for the new vacancy that has yet to be filled.

Despite that, he claims no formal talks have taken place.

“No we just had a nice casual chat," added McLeish, who is part of Bt Sport's team that will be covering Aberdeen v Hearts on Saturday. "If Rangers had given me the nod that they wanted me to come back I would have asked for a further meeting just to clear some things up.

“It wasn’t a done deal if they had said ‘you are the man we are going for’. There would have been further chat as well just to understand some parameters.”

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lloyd72
4 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Lol no

was hoping we had now forgot about the idea tbh 

Hopefully not, there's serious problems behind the scenes at our club which a DoF could solve imo

Just now, Lloyd72 said:

Hopefully not, there's serious problems behind the scenes at our club which a DoF could solve imo

Like what? Make us play better and turn average players good over night ? Paying a guy in a suit 300k a year for it 

unless the guy comes with a top scouting pedigree I'd pass 

Guest Lloyd72
15 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Like what? Make us play better and turn average players good over night ? Paying a guy in a suit 300k a year for it 

unless the guy comes with a top scouting pedigree I'd pass 

That's nothing to do with behind the scenes, our scouting network is non existent and we have no plan for the future with a DoF it would be his job to build a scouting network which would solve a lot of our problems. 

I think we need someone who has good scouting experience with a decent track record of signings, I wonder if John Park would be interested in a DoF role.

26 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

From 2002-2006

Muscat Thompson Bonnissel Eggen

Capucho Khizanishvilli Vanoli Berg Emerson Ostenstad Namouchi Kalenga Rae Fetai

Mladenovic Carcary Djordjic Santala 

Murray Fanfan Nieto N'Guessan Maniero Bernard Jeffers Ashikodi

Rotten :lol: 

That's a pretty brutal list apart from kizinanishvilli, he wasn't the worst imo. And berg who did a decent job for us. 

1 hour ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

From 2002-2006

Was Walter Smith who signed Rothen.

1 hour ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

From 2002-2006

Geez    Seeing that list gave me acid reflux 

i actually have wiped the majority of them from my memory 

Maybe he would and maybe he wouldn't make a good DOF. I'm damn sure he shouldn't be let loose to find out at Rangers. 

I think we will get an as yet unnamed candidate. Who saw Pedro coming? The board seem to have a wide net and I don't expect this to be any different. 

2 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

From 2002-2006

But.... b... b... but - Jeffers was billed as the "fox in the box"... a natural goalscorer :happy:

2 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

From 2002-2006

Boumsong, Prso, Novo, Buffel, Boyd, Andrews.

Aye he signed some stinkers but let's not pretend he didn't bring in anyone decent.