Rangers hitman Martyn Waghorn tells new boss Pedro Caixinha: Play me up top and I'll get you the goals

Smile

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Bluepeter9 said:

I was interested in this 40 goals per season expectation - and it's a bit out there - last person to score over 40 in a season for us was Ally ( in 87 and 92) - Negri came close with 38 in 97 Derek Johnston in his best season got 38 ( in 77) - kris Boyd was top for a number of years and his best was 31. You then have to go back to 64 to get over 40 - waghorns 28 last year was good his contribution this year also looks good and that's been with injuries. 

If Waghorn had taken most of his good chances at goal this season he would be easily on the road to 30 goals by now!!. Griffiths as an example is quite simply a second rate striker who couldn't make it in the English championship yet scored 40 goals last season, whether we achieve it or not it's an indication of a title winning side.

Its not so much ultra high scoring but scoring important goals and putting them away when he should and he hasn't been doing that.

4 weeks ago this forum was calling for every players head, now it's aw give them a second chance or even praising them to the high heavens. It will be interesting to see what changes the new manager makes, at the moment he has hobson's choice, come summer may be different.

1 hour ago, plumbGER said:

Wanty stop coming on here with your rational posts?

This is a Waggy bashing thread don't you know?

Not really a good example using Griffiths anyway, then talking about crunch games and euro games because he doesn't seem to be trusted for them much in the way Boyd wasn't for us.

Sorry I'll try to be less rationale! 

4 minutes ago, danger ranger said:

If Waghorn had taken most of his good chances at goal this season he would be easily on the road to 30 goals by now!!. Griffiths as an example is quite simply a second rate striker who couldn't make it in the English championship yet scored 40 goals last season, whether we achieve it or not it's an indication of a title winning side.

Its not so much ultra high scoring but scoring important goals and putting them away when he should and he hasn't been doing that.

4 weeks ago this forum was calling for every players head, now it's aw give them a second chance or even praising them to the high heavens. It will be interesting to see what changes the new manager makes, at the moment he has hobson's choice, come summer may be different.

Goal scoring is as much a team thing - Ally did well as he had great skill and a great team around him - waghorn is not in Ally's class as a striker but nor is our team anyplace near the class of those Ally had to support him - Ally was the best we had and missed loads, same with Boyd.

26 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

30 PTS behind the beggars . I really love your standards

It's not like I'm saying he should be a first choice number 9 is it?

I've always said we need to improve the quality of the team and the squad and me thinking that Waghorn is capable of playing a part in that squad doesn't mean I have low standards so you can fuck right off with that shite. :lol:

Just now, DBBTB said:

It's not like I'm saying he should be a first choice number 9 is it?

I've always said we need to improve the quality of the team and the squad and me thinking that Waghorn is capable of playing a part in that squad doesn't mean I have low standards so you can fuck right off with that shite. :lol:

If you read my posts .I like the guy . It doesn't mean I want him around ,possibly coming back in and filling a jersey in a big match .Next season

He will win us the Scottish cup however :p:

2 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

If you read my posts .I like the guy . It doesn't mean I want him around ,possibly coming back in and filling a jersey in a big match .Next season

He will win us the Scottish cup however :p:

Don't get me wrong, I want us to offload most of our current strikers in the Summer and bring in two real quality ones to play most weeks but if money is going to be tight, which I expect it is, I wouldn't be against keeping him purely because we have so many areas to address this summer and I think he would actually be ok in the sort of 'first choice' backup role that guys like Lafferty & Novo have filled over the years.

I get that some people would probably prefer if Garner or Dodoo played that role but I prefer Waghorn to Garner & Doodo. I know that none of them have been great this year, and we've made our minds up on most of them but I do rhink we have to try and give them a clean slate under Caixhina and see how they do between now and May (even though it is hard to do).

17 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Don't get me wrong, I want us to offload most of our current strikers in the Summer and bring in two real quality ones to play most weeks but if money is going to be tight, which I expect it is, I wouldn't be against keeping him purely because we have so many areas to address this summer and I think he would actually be ok in the sort of 'first choice' backup role that guys like Lafferty & Novo have filled over the years.

I get that some people would probably prefer if Garner or Dodoo played that role but I prefer Waghorn to Garner & Doodo. I know that none of them have been great this year, and we've made our minds up on most of them but I do rhink we have to try and give them a clean slate under Caixhina and see how they do between now and May (even though it is hard to do).

Agreed.

I've said repeatedly on here he's a confidence player and when he has a bit of confidence, his performances tend to improve. I would like to see him played thru the middle rather than out wide and perhaps have a striking partner with him - preferably Garner. That to me seems to be the way we'd get the best out of both of them.

Then I'd hope, both of them would improve their Shot-to-Goal ratio dramatically. 

21 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Fair post mate . You are right about addressing other areas . Strangely enough , I feel quite comfortable with our defence at the minute . Hope I'm still saying that at end of April .

I'd keep him much the same as I'd keep Clint Hill. Not the answer, not a world beater, nowhere near the standard of player we've had and aspire to have.

But also nowhere near first on my list for replacing when I consider others in their positions, definite squad players unless money could be found to replace every forward and centre half.

2 hours ago, eejay the dj said:

Strangely enough , I feel quite comfortable with our defence at the minute . Hope I'm still saying that at end of April .

I'm not, but with new management comes hope and we will see over the next couple of months if they change and become more solid. Defence will always let goals obviously, its the stupid mistakes which gift goals i hope gets cut out.  If they can do that, it will be a decent defence, till the summer anyway.

I like Waghorn and there's no doubt he's a much better link up player than Garner.  He's also trying like fuck.  Be interesting to see if Pedro can improve Garner, Dodoo and Waghorn.  MOH was totally out the picture on Saturday as well which tells a story.