Not that damned united

Nalla1959

As an older bear of some considerable age I hark back to a time when as a support we were never divided by individuals, groups or enemies of our club. We were dominant and supported our team to great glory over the years. We were afraid of no one and nothing and our fans were legendary throughout the land and abroad. I can't help thinking what has happened to us as a support over the past few years. We bicker with each other constantly and drag our club through the dirt in the full view of our enemies. We are torn apart by loyalty to one group or another each trying to outdo the other to the detriment of the club itself. We have problems with identity in our own country which causes even more division between us. I would like us all to take a step back and consider how we can get back that unity so that when the glory days return on the pitch we are united as brothers of this great footballing institution of it. Can we debate constructively as to how we can achieve this and make an older bear happy again.

11 minutes ago, Nalla1959 said:

As an older bear of some considerable age I hark back to a time when as a support we were never divided by individuals, groups or enemies of our club. We were dominant and supported our team to great glory over the years. We were afraid of no one and nothing and our fans were legendary throughout the land and abroad. I can't help thinking what has happened to us as a support over the past few years. We bicker with each other constantly and drag our club through the dirt in the full view of our enemies. We are torn apart by loyalty to one group or another each trying to outdo the other to the detriment of the club itself. We have problems with identity in our own country which causes even more division between us. I would like us all to take a step back and consider how we can get back that unity so that when the glory days return on the pitch we are united as brothers of this great footballing institution of it. Can we debate constructively as to how we can achieve this and make an older bear happy again.

When it becomes about the betterment of the club and not about the financial gain and influence certain individuals have then that will be a starting point. I can't see that happening anytime soon so your wish is a bit of a pipe dream.

Unless these individuals leave or are forced out then you're looking to build on sand.

By way of contrast, look at what Govanblue puts in for the support and what he gets out of it. Compare that to Craig Houston and Chris Graham. Consider how these 2 "fans " have manouevered themselved into such positions of influence / prestige, and their links to tell current Board.

There's your key problem, unlike with Govanblue, it's about themselves, it's toxic, and it's insurmountable for uniting a fan base.

8 hours ago, Nalla1959 said:

Great thread title Nalla, and great sentiment. 

I agree,back then our club was seen to be relatively well run, and there had been a great stabilitiy over a long period. 

Even in bad times the fans were united as a whole and allowed the board to (sometimes slowly ) get it right. There were no independant groups or individuals playing politics with the fans for their own reasons.

Now we have these individuals and groups spreading division in the fans themselves, and not only themselves, but also aided from within our club structure in their politcs. 

The events of the last ten years have not just pulled th club apart, but also the various supporter power groups.

My biggest problem with these new political groupings within the club is they no longer seem intersted in working for the common good of the club and fans, but seem only interested to further their own ambitions.

Add to that all these political groups now have funding and you probably have leaders within these groups not only pushing their own agendas, but using fans finances solely for their own ambition (and greed)

A clusterfuck, partly enabled by our board and perpetuated by individuals who see our club as a business step opportunity, and no longer a sporting institution.

I do not belong to, or have a bias to any suporters group. I am quite simply a Rangers fan, and proud to be a part of the bigger group of those who cal themselves Rangers fans too, and have no need to use Rangers for personal gain or influence.   

I think the vast majority of the support couldn't care less about these different factions, sometimes on a forum you can get some issues out of perspective, and forget that it's a relatively small number of people expressing their opinion.

A certain percentage of members here seem to have more of a hatred for some of their fellow Rangers supporters than they have for the tarriers but it's not a reflection of the support as a whole.

1 hour ago, harlands plater said:

I think the vast majority of the support couldn't care less about these different factions, sometimes on a forum you can get some issues out of perspective, and forget that it's a relatively small number of people expressing their opinion.

A certain percentage of members here seem to have more of a hatred for some of their fellow Rangers supporters than they have for the tarriers but it's not a reflection of the support as a whole.

And sometimes those fellow supporters as you call them do more harm than some tarriers do.

2 hours ago, Nalla1959 said:

our division and apathy has put our counttry where we are and it will make us Scotlands second most succesful club, very sad

In my opinion, the fans aren't the problem. The problem starts from within the club, and the division in the fans that you speak of is a product of the mismanagement that has taken place over the last X amount of years, and knights in shining armour coming in to turn things around, when really their only goal is for their own personal gain. A combination of the wrong people in charge and the agenda of the Scottish media are to blame for our fans being divided. 

Thats my opinion anyway, and the only thing that will change that will be when the club is back in a position of strength, with the right people in charge. 

1 minute ago, 55Bear said:

In my opinion, the fans aren't the problem. The problem starts from within the club, and the division in the fans that you speak of is a product of the mismanagement that has taken place over the last X amount of years, and knights in shining armour coming in to turn things around, when really their only goal is for their own personal gain. A combination of the wrong people in charge and the agenda of the Scottish media are to blame for our fans being divided.

Thats my opinion anyway, and the only thing that will change that will be when the club is back in a position of strength, with the right people in charge.

correct

Prior to Internet you had to be of a certain calibre to have your views published

Now it's a filter free world where junkies and tarriers can have their views splashed everywhere

The noisy minority can create a theatre of hate and negativity, out and about in the real world I still find Rangers fans to be the best there is

The internet allows morons to opine without regard for balance or decency and you could be fooled into thinking that our support is totally divided after spending half an hour on it. Thankfully every other Saturday my faith in our fans is restored because that's when it counts and that's when we show our true might, and though our club has suffered in the last few years our fans have been nothing short of  magnificent home and away.

People need to put themselves second to the club.

The likes of Houston will never be remembered no matter what so they may as well put their energy into helping the club instead of getting famous.

5 hours ago, harlands plater said:

Yup, most supporters get on fine and couldn't give much of a fuck about the leaders of fan groups or what they say. It's actually ridiculous how important some of them think they are :troll: 

The internet gives the impression of these things being far more important than they are. I've never seen Rangers supporters arguing at Ibrox about the things in the OP and doubt I ever will.

6 hours ago, Nalla1959 said:

Social media is to blame and we will never be able turn the clock back.

Social media encourages cleats and groups, in days past the only possible cleats were on fans buses with no voice.

Now thanks to social media everyone has a voice or opinion, everyone has their own group of like minded folk.

4 hours ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

Social media is to blame and we will never be able turn the clock back.

Social media encourages cleats and groups, in days past the only possible cleats were on fans buses with no voice.

Now thanks to social media everyone has a voice or opinion, everyone has their own group of like minded folk.

Social media is to blame for most stuff in society these days mate:tu:

I'm not sure their is a big problem.

I do believe the board will invest as much as they can into the team.

We need to play our part in making sure we spend our money so it goes to the club.

RF was a good idea,  but was swallowed up. Do we need fans groups?  If we trust the board - Not really, as long as the lack of their effectiveness does not stop up spending money on the club.

We just need to be wise and make sure when you spend a pound it goes to the club.

As some have said. Believe it or not these days,  some of us just want to see Rangers prosper without caring about whether we're seen to be. Some of us put whatever little time and effort we have to spare, even if it's just making a forum post or spending a little cash or just attending a match,  without needing praise. 

Back in the day you could support every cause you liked without having to claim it or nail your colours to any mast.  Many of is support many different groups but these days there seems to be this "us or them" attitude which hasn't benefited the support in any way at all imo

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys for debating this thread and some poignant points put forward. I am an optimist and believe we will get back our rightful position as the number one team in the country. I pray that when we win our next trophy that will silence the vast majority of our critics. Hopefully that takes away the negativity and we return to a united support ready and able to go forward in a positive manner together.