RD77

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, WATP-FOREVER said:

Hiroshima and Nagasaki were selected because Mitsubishi heavy industries, shipbuilders and armaments/military vehicles were produced in those two cities.  Once they couldn't build weapons they were definitely stuffed, even if they wanted to carry on or not.

That may well be the case but Nagasaki was not selected until Kyoto was deselected. I believe the military wanted to bomb Kyoto for various reasons incl it had a very intelligent population and several major industries had been moved there. It was deselected at the insistence of the USA war secy and the president. This has now probably outgrown its entry and interest in BD.

5 hours ago, Domthenbud said:

It was apparently also selected to be one of the two recipients of the atomic bombs dropped on Japan during WW2. However it was then considered to be too culturally important and they selected Nagasaki instead. How sad is that. Your fate determined by the amount of important and prob wealthy history you have. It is a beautiful place. More useless info.

Yes that's right they knew the Japanese would never forgive the loss of the jewel in their crown. I sometimes wonder if the Germans during the blitz had a similar attitude to us I'm sure they could have for example destroyed HMS Victory but they perhaps thought that would be counterproductive when they were trying to build the peace after hostilities were over? I suppose also if you thought you were shortly going to inherit a land why would you destroy the best bits 

41 minutes ago, Thermopylae said:

Yes that's right they knew the Japanese would never forgive the loss of the jewel in their crown. I sometimes wonder if the Germans during the blitz had a similar attitude to us I'm sure they could have for example destroyed HMS Victory but they perhaps thought that would be counterproductive when they were trying to build the peace after hostilities were over? I suppose also if you thought you were shortly going to inherit a land why would you destroy the best bits 

Perhaps shows why we need politicians and military in a conflict situation. Although Mr Trump might test that theory.

1 hour ago, Thermopylae said:

Dunno about that, Thermo. The Baedeker Blitz suggests otherwise. Targets chosen for their cultural and historic importance including Bath, York and Canterbury. Also, HMS Victory was bombed, and the Germans boasted about it.

I'm glad they didn't bomb Kyoto. It definitely feels different to other Japanese cities because of it. They keep wee buckets of water outside all of their homes because many areas still have predominantly wooden buildings. We stayed in one and it was amazing, although some of the big-ass spiders that you found in them were enough to give the fear. There's temples around just about every corner as well. Something like 2000 of them, some utterly stunning. The golden pavilion is astonishing.

Bear's Den. :lol: :offtopic:

Was there litterly about one month ago... your best bet is going through to Osaka and finding a sports bar and/or a British pub.  It's  a funny country in the sense that they seem to love Britishness more than some Scots (including football)

So what is it that we are asking here now ?, where to watch a Rangers game in Japan or the best bit of Japan to bomb the fuck out of with nukes in a war? Threads lost me now, if it's a stealthy holiday thread then I'm going to to Tenerife in September with her and the kid's, fuck knows who Rangers are playing when I'm away, I'll ask for pub suggestions closer to the time. 

21 hours ago, Inigo said:

Dunno about that, Thermo. The Baedeker Blitz suggests otherwise. Targets chosen for their cultural and historic importance including Bath, York and Canterbury. Also, HMS Victory was bombed, and the Germans boasted about it.

I'm glad they didn't bomb Kyoto. It definitely feels different to other Japanese cities because of it. They keep wee buckets of water outside all of their homes because many areas still have predominantly wooden buildings. We stayed in one and it was amazing, although some of the big-ass spiders that you found in them were enough to give the fear. There's temples around just about every corner as well. Something like 2000 of them, some utterly stunning. The golden pavilion is astonishing.

Bear's Den. :lol: :offtopic:

I think there was only 1 bomb and surely if they had wanted to destroy it they could have with what were then modern weapons? I often wonder if they flattened Rotterdam and not Amsterdam because the latter appealed to them as prime real estate after the conquest? I never understand the idea that Rotterdam was ruined because it was an industrial town because surely the invasion was over so quickly that would hardly matter? 

You are a lucky man to have went to Japan the trip of a lifetime 

31 minutes ago, Thermopylae said:

I think there was only 1 bomb and surely if they had wanted to destroy it they could have with what were then modern weapons? I often wonder if they flattened Rotterdam and not Amsterdam because the latter appealed to them as prime real estate after the conquest? I never understand the idea that Rotterdam was ruined because it was an industrial town because surely the invasion was over so quickly that would hardly matter? 

You are a lucky man to have went to Japan the trip of a lifetime 

Well the thing is, it's destruction or lack thereof (or the number of times it was attacked) isn't the important point in relation to The Victory. The important point is that they boasted about hitting it which doesn't suggest they were thinking along the lines of it 'would be counterproductive when they were trying to build the peace after hostilities were over'.

Re Rotterdam, it was attacked for tactical/strategic reasons, my man. It was the focus of the main thrust of the invasion of the Netherlands, and was seen pretty much as the primary target of the invasion.Obviously it was the primary industrial city, but it was also feared that the British might reinforce Holland, and that via Rotterdam would be the obvious way to do that. As the Germans approached Rotterdam, Dutch resistance was stiffer than the Germans had hoped, and they pretty much decided to hit Rotterdam in order to quicken the collapse of Dutch forces there, and to ease the invasion of Rotterdam itself, because it was seen as a tough urban challenge, due to it's Amsterdam-like canal system. German generals wanted more targeted air support, but Goring and henchmen turned it into a more bludgeoning display of force. Which is a shame, because it was actually beautiful before the bombing, very much like Amsterdam in parts, so they say.

Suffice to say, I wouldn't be giving the Gerries much credit for trying hard to save the nice bits of anywhere they invaded.

Japan was great. You should go, Thermo. Definitely.

11 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Well the thing is, it's destruction or lack thereof (or the number of times it was attacked) isn't the important point in relation to The Victory. The important point is that they boasted about hitting it which doesn't suggest they were thinking along the lines of it 'would be counterproductive when they were trying to build the peace after hostilities were over'.

Re Rotterdam, it was attacked for tactical/strategic reasons, my man. It was the focus of the main thrust of the invasion of the Netherlands, and was seen pretty much as the primary target of the invasion.Obviously it was the primary industrial city, but it was also feared that the British might reinforce Holland, and that via Rotterdam would be the obvious way to do that. As the Germans approached Rotterdam, Dutch resistance was stiffer than the Germans had hoped, and they pretty much decided to hit Rotterdam in order to quicken the collapse of Dutch forces there, and to ease the invasion of Rotterdam itself, because it was seen as a tough urban challenge, due to it's Amsterdam-like canal system. German generals wanted more targeted air support, but Goring and henchmen turned it into a more bludgeoning display of force. Which is a shame, because it was actually beautiful before the bombing, very much like Amsterdam in parts, so they say.

Suffice to say, I wouldn't be giving the Gerries much credit for trying hard to save the nice bits of anywhere they invaded.

I suppose hitler encouraged a very compartmentalised structure to his society probably so that different departments would plot against each other rather than against him ... for example the kriegsmarine and luftwaffe absolutely hated each other so the propaganda left hand may not have known what head office right hand wanted?

Surely the German air superiority would have meant there was little chance of reinforcements? Remember Dowding convinced Churchill to withdraw the fighters before we lost any more

17 minutes ago, Inigo said:

23 hours ago, Thermopylae said:

You two intellects watching the game or the history channel tonight?

9 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

You two intellects watching the game or the history channel tonight?

I only have cooncil telly, so unless you can suggest a stream for the History Channel, then football it is. :depressed:

17 minutes ago, Thermopylae said:

I suppose hitler encouraged a very compartmentalised structure to his society probably so that different departments would plot against each other rather than against him ... for example the kriegsmarine and luftwaffe absolutely hated each other so the propaganda left hand may not have known what head office right hand wanted?

Surely the German air superiority would have meant there was little chance of reinforcements? Remember Dowding convinced Churchill to withdraw the fighters before we lost any more

You would have thought so, but it was what they feared. I guess it's belts and braces stuff. If you're not 100% sure of the enemy's intentions and capabilities, then you make sure he can't do what would be most damaging to you. Besides, the RAF was still a strong entity on paper at the time, and I suppose it wasn't outwith the bounds of possibility, from a cautious German point of view, that combined with the Royal Navy, it could try to reinforce parts of Holland as fortresses, and as thorns in the side of the German advance.

5 minutes ago, Inigo said:

You would have thought so, but it was what they feared. I guess it's belts and braces stuff. If you're not 100% sure of the enemy's intentions and capabilities, then you make sure he can't do what would be most damaging to you. Besides, the RAF was still a strong entity on paper at the time, and I suppose it wasn't outwith the bounds of possibility, from a cautious German point of view, that combined with the Royal Navy, it could try to reinforce parts of Holland as fortresses, and as thorns in the side of the German advance.

Why did they flatten Warsaw?