Which First Team Players Would You Want To Keep?

Inigo

So, having seen that the players don't seem to be improving much under the new boss, and considering that the next few months is going to be a mad scramble to bring in players at a time when we probably don't have an extensive scouting network or much money, which first team players, if any, do you think we should be looking to keep such that the job of replacing the most culpable is more manageable? The question isn't just who you'd like to see gone (we'd all probably like to see virtually all gone), it's also the practical aspect of how many we can afford/will be able to replace in one window.

I think I can see some merit in, or argument for, keeping the following in a squad for next season:

Foderingham, Wallace, Hill, Tavernier, Holt, Hyndman, Garner, McKay, Windass, Niko, Rossiter.

So, instead of having to bring in about 18-20 players, we'd hopefully only have to bring in 8 or so. 

Obviously alot depends on how many young players the gaffer thinks could do a job. 

Discuss...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Foderingham, Wallace, Wilson, Holt, Hyndman, Forrester, McKay, Miller.

Forrester and McKay would need to show some improvement through July and August, though. Miller, as much in a coaching role and hopefully, just a back up.

Having said that there isn't one player, in the entire squad, I'd get upset about leaving.

Warburton this season could have spent money on a couple of real quality players. Instead he wasted money on numbers.

Next season I think we should address the spine of the team not numbers, so bring in a quality centre back, centre mid and striker. Spend 5-6 million in doing so and there should be some improvement.

Therefore, I don't think we should have a massive clearout. Just get rid of shite like Senderos, O'Halloran, Dodoo etc 

17 minutes ago, gazza27 said:

As a said in the match day thread last night it will take 2-3 windows to get rid of them,bar Wes the rest can bolt

Exactly.

Which is why the consideration of who we should be getting rid of first comes into it. 

I don't think anyone would shed a tear at any leaving and we'd probably want pretty much all gone, but we're unlikely to be able to do that straight away.

27 minutes ago, Inigo said:

So, having seen that the players don't seem to be improving much under the new boss, and considering that the next few months is going to be a mad scramble to bring in players at a time when we probably don't have an extensive scouting network or much money, which first team players, if any, do you think we should be looking to keep such that the job of replacing the most culpable is more manageable?

I think I can see some merit in, or argument for, keeping the following in a squad for next season:

Foderingham, Wallace, Hill, Tavernier, Holt, Hyndman, Garner, McKay, Windass, Niko, Rossiter.

So, instead of having to bring in about 18-20 players, we'd hopefully only have to bring in 8 or so.

Obviously alot depends on how many young players the gaffer thinks could do a job. 

Discuss...

If I was pushed for an answer I'd probably agree with your list except McKay and Kranjcar.

Kranjcar's injuries have finished him IMO, and McKay can just fuck off and take his shite attitude with him. 

I'd like to keep Miller as a squad player if we can aswell.

Although if I'm being honest I wouldn't be gutted to lose any of the squad.

3 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Do you think we'll be able to bring in enough players to make a squad though? Or enough youngsters?

No. We will keep the majority of the squad unfortunately. That was just me saying who I'd keep if it were possible. 

The only ones I see leaving are guys like Miller, Hill and Senderos who are out of contract. Others like Kiernan have years to run and no club will touch them so we are lumbered with them.

The following are the players I'd keep as starters -

Foderigham

Wallace (Make or break season for him next year imo)

Hyndman

McKay

The following are the players I'd have in the overall squad - 

Wilson (As good a 3rd choice as you can ask for imo)

Hill (If we can't get anyone for less wages he can do a job)

Halliday (Think he's shite but his versatility and the fact he's a Rangers man is useful imo)

Holt (His running and pressing can be effective at times)

Windass (Really can't make my mind up about him)

Kranjcar (If he can't get rid of the injuries then get fit, I can't see a downside to having a really technically gifted player to come off the bench in the last 30/20 minutes)

Miller (Primarily as a coach though)

Just now, The Godfather said:

No. We will keep the majority of the squad unfortunately. That was just me saying who I'd keep if it were possible. 

The only ones I see leaving are guys like Miller, Hill and Senderos who are out of contract. Others like Kiernan have years to run and no club will touch them so we are lumbered with them.

So on the assumption that we'll have to keep a chunk and get rid over the course of a year and a half or so, who would you keep past the next transfer window, if it were your choice in a scenario where we actually could get rid of guys on contracts (where someone would take them as a free transfer)? 

And how many would you expect that we'd have to then bring in? Just out of interest.

7 minutes ago, Inigo said:

So on the assumption that we'll have to keep a chunk and get rid over the course of a year and a half or so, who would you keep past the next transfer window, if it were your choice in a scenario where we actually could get rid of guys on contracts (where someone would take them as a free transfer)? 

And how many would you expect that we'd have to then bring in? Just out of interest.

If that were the case I’d probably be looking to keep Garner, Miller, Wallace, Fod, McKay, Beerman, Holt, Tav, Windass, Hyndman on loan again and Hill.

Now only two or 3 of those would be in my first 11 with the others used as squad filler. I’d be looking to bring in 7 players. 2 CB’s, RB, two central mid’s, Striker and a winger all to go straight into the starting 11. Those players would need be of a decent standard so would cost in the region of £10 million for that to happen.

-------------Fod-----------

RB-------CB----- CB-----Wallace

RW------CM----Hyndman-----McKay

---------Garner---ST--------

Subs

Tav

Hill

Keeper (not seen him play yet)

Windass

Miller

Holt

CM

Then of course have the youth like Beerman coming through.

2 minutes ago, loyalfollower said:

Hyndman is ok not worth what it would cost to buy him though, wes is good enough for now, holt, tavernier,and 1-2 others would be good squad players but that's it

We couldn't afford him so another loan would be most likely if it all.