Could a player be sent off before a game starts?

Ryju84

This is random, I know. But in a game where players line up before the kick off then shake hands (i.e. a cup game) what would happen if someone just punched an opponent right in the face? 

Do they not start?

Does the team start with 10 men?

24 minutes ago, Theulstervolunteer said:

In those circumstances the SFA rules are if they are wearing a rangers tap they will be banned for the rest of the season ..... players from all other clubs who are found guilty will be receive a small fine and labelled over exuberant...:Fod:

Exactly what i thought :)

6 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Subs can get sent off without being 'on' so yeah they would be booted. 

Yeah... but what about starting 11? 

Hypothetically if someone headbutted Scott Brown...

I know it wont happen because our players have shat it from Brown and show respect like he is a god who shouldnt be touched

48 minutes ago, Ryju84 said:

This is random, I know. But in a game where players line up before the kick off then shake hands (i.e. a cup game) what would happen if someone just punched an opponent right in the face? 

Do they not start?

Does the team start with 10 men?

yes he can be sent off the ref is in charge from the minute he arrives at the ground till the minute he leaves and can take action at any of these times

Just now, Ryju84 said:

I know it wont happen because our players have shat it from Brown and show respect like he is a god who shouldnt be touched

They would be sent off, taken away by police and charged no doubt.

Not sure if you would be allowed to replace them since the game didn't kick off but they would be carted. 

42 minutes ago, reallyruff said:

Don't know for sure but when the infamous tunnel bust up occurred between Keane and Viera wasn't it suggested that the ref couldn't punish until they were on the pitch? In that case your scenario could mean a red card, no?

the ref who was graeme poll could have sent the 2 of them off  but used common sense and tried to calm it

On 4/10/2017 at 3:45 PM, Ryju84 said:

I thought that was just the tim loving joey farton?

On 10/04/2017 at 3:45 PM, billscott said:

yes he can be sent off the ref is in charge from the minute he arrives at the ground till the minute he leaves and can take action at any of these times

That makes sense. The ref can order teams to change kits etc before kick off, so you would have to assume he can send a player off with good reason

I got sent off before a game started when I was a lad, so many moons ago. 

Was standing just inside the centre circle before kick off, one of their players shouted to back to which I duly replied shut up ya dick. Ref shouts me over gives me a yellow card, on walking back a team mate asked me what was that about. I said in a clear voice well he's a dick and so is the ref. 

Second yellow off the pitch. ??

On Mon Apr 10 2017 at 3:45 PM, billscott said:

This.