Dave King. And the cry was no big spender

Smile

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

From all accounts yeah - the one standout ... how's that wrong? If it's wrong then why aren't there more Chelsea's and Arsenals snapping up the rest of them?

He's not the one standout. And it's certainly not by all accounts. Every time I've been asked this over the season I've said the exact same. There are a number of them who are regularly impressing.

He's, without question, the best of the bunch but there are several players in the Academy who have been really good this season. Rudden, Wilson, Beerman, Barjonas, the McCrories, Serge Atakayi is finding his feet after moving here and has been great since earning a place, Burt, Ashmore.

10 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

Craig Mulholland and Graeme Murty have done a fantastic job they have also helped to improve the youth setup, but Warburton was brought in because of his experience with youth structures. His experience in this field helped to improve the club's youth set-up which he did in his 1st season at Rangers 

You over-estimate Warburton's involvement. These boys didn't suddenly become good players over night when he appeared on the scene. 

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

You over-estimate Warburton's involvement. These boys didn't suddenly become good players over night when he appeared on the scene. 

I'm saying Warburton's experience in this field helped to improve the club's youth structure when he first arrived at Rangers.  Craig Mulholland and Graeme Murty have done all the hard work since helping the players.

10 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Gilmour is genuinely a special talent. He's not one that any club develops like clockwork. Assuming he doesn't piss it away and works hard he can quite honestly be the best scottish player in years, if not decades, he's that good.

Over the next handful of years I could see a host of players make the step up and be part of the first team squad regularly. Robby & Ross McCrorie, Jordan Houston, Jamie Barjonas, Jack Thomson, Liam Burt, Zak Rudden, Serge Atakayi, Max Ashmore, Aidan Wilson, are all ones who I could see being important players.

There are plenty others who, with a bit of luck and hard work could easily go beyond where they are expected too.

Now that is interesting if you genuinely believe these players have a realistic chance of making a push for a first team slot. I know by reading your reports over the season that you were giving good raps to certain players, so it will be interesting to see what transpires as trying to forecast the potential of a young player is fraught with danger between the ages of 16-20 years old....You know the old story; 'A world beater at 16- a panel beater at 20'.

The only half decent look I've had of these youngsters was Gilmour in an International match, where I saw his potential to be something special; At times he actually made himself look bad to those who couldn't see his vision was way ahead of his team mates, where he was slotting balls into dangerous spaces but his team mates couldn't see it. As for the others, it's only been a superb goal here or a brilliant piece of play there that has caught my eye, but it makes me think you could be on the money with what you say.

11 minutes ago, Skyson1872 said:

Some of our fans actually put more effort into attacking our club than they do the SFA, Rotten mob etc

Constructive criticism of the custodians of the club is far more useful than spleen venting at anyone else. 

And on that note... 

Dave King doesn't half talk some amount of shite... He talks far too much detail about the running of a football club for someone who clearly knows very little about the running of a football club. 

7 minutes ago, Ozblue said:

Now that is interesting if you genuinely believe these players have a realistic chance of making a push for a first team slot. I know by reading your reports over the season that you were giving good raps to certain players, so it will be interesting to see what transpires as trying to forecast the potential of a young player is fraught with danger between the ages of 16-20 years old....You know the old story; 'A world beater at 16- a panel beater at 20'.

The only half decent look I've had of these youngsters was Gilmour in an International match, where I saw his potential to be something special; At times he actually made himself look bad to those who couldn't see his vision was way ahead of his team mates, where he was slotting balls into dangerous spaces but his team mates couldn't see it. As for the others, it's only been a superb goal here or a brilliant piece of play there that has caught my eye, but it makes me think you could be on the money with what you say.

I believe they stand a chance, I've been following their progress here https://rfcyouths.wordpress.com/ I think a few will make it to the first team.

1 minute ago, KingKirk said:

I'll be honest whilst I wanna stop 10IAR Its making sure that we stay ahead of them in overall titles that should be our biggest priority. FWIW I don't think they'll get 10

Well is that not the same thing?

I mean they get to 10 then they are closer to our overall amount....

Either way we need big investment because we are not winning any title without CL money unless someone comes in chucking millions at us for nothing in return. 

2 minutes ago, writingranger said:

bringing on youths & spending money are not mutually exclusive. I took King's statements to mean that being in through youths meant they could focus resources on acquiring the kind of quality that makes a difference to a team.

Pedro plans to bring in some players from his connections

1 minute ago, Sweetheart said:

I believe they stand a chance, I've been following their progress here  here https://rfcyouths.wordpress.com/ I think a few will make it to the first team.

I hope you are correct, Sweetheart. Going from experience there are some who might look not up to it at the moment, but mi8ght come on leaps and bounds in a few seasons from now, and others who will head in the other direction (Like Charlie Telfer, Jamie Ness et al.

10 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

I'm saying Warburton's experience in this field helped to improve the club's youth structure when he first arrived at Rangers.  Craig Mulholland and Graeme Murty have done all the hard work since helping the players.

The structure was being changed before he arrived. Mulholland went to academy head before MW appeared. That's been a far bigger influence on the change of culture at Auchenhowie. 

Just now, The Dude said:

The structure was being changed before he arrived. Mulholland went to academy head before MW appeared. That's been a far bigger influence on the change of culture at Auchenhowie. 

The best transfer in the history of Rangers.....Fuck off Sinclair.

Just now, Ozblue said:

I hope you are correct, Sweetheart. Going from experience there are some who might look not up to it at the moment, but mi8ght come on leaps and bounds in a few seasons from now, and others who will head in the other direction (Like Charlie Telfer, Jamie Ness et al.

That bit depends on the player himself, whether he is prepared to put the effort in, to reach the standards bar of what it takes to play for Rangers. I still think a few will make it.

13 minutes ago, Ozblue said:

He has a footballing brain that most his age don't have. Everything from the way he finds a pass to shielding the ball in a challenge show an understanding of his role beyond some of his senior counterparts. 

Something that I think has helped, even though they only played a handful of games, is having U20s in the Challenge Cup. Playing against senior pros in a game that actually had consequence forced them to be a little smarter. I feel, as do a few folk at the club I've spoken too, that they will learn more in those two or three games than they will playing youth football with little at stake. 

Just now, Sweetheart said:

That bit depends on the player himself, whether he is prepared to put the effort in, to reach the standards bar of what it takes to play for Rangers. I still think a few will make it.

Ultimately it's in the hands of the player, but a massive amount depends on the coach understanding what the player requires to get there.

1 minute ago, Ozblue said:

Ultimately it's in the hands of the player, but a massive amount depends on the coach understanding what the player requires to get there.

This is something I've absolutely no doubt Mulholland and Murty do. Murty gets animated on the touch line but I've never once seen him bollock a player for making a daft mistake. They understand they are still learning the game and their role within it and appreciate that they will make mistakes and it's the coaching staffs job to teach them what they could do to not make it again. There's plenty in the last where I've seen players absolutely bollocked for making the wrong pass with no explanation what they should have done and why. 

3 hours ago, Virtuoso said:

Nuturing your own talent is the way forward...if you are in a position to wait for it to come to frution.

Unfortunately we don't have that luxury at present.

Spot on, we really should have been blooding players in the lower divisions and buying fewer players of a higher calibre. We should have at least 2-3 home grown players in the first team squad every week. Given that MW and DW were supposed to be building for the future we find ourselves in a poor position as far as youngsters getting a chance goes.

Just now, harry handsome said:

Spot on, we really should have been blooding players in the lower divisions and buying fewer players of a higher calibre. We should have at least 2-3 home grown players in the first team squad every week. Given that MW and DW were supposed to be building for the future we find ourselves in a poor position as far as youngsters getting a chance goes.

Go look how many youth players we gave debuts to between 2012 & 2015

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

He has a footballing brain that most his age don't have. Everything from the way he finds a pass to shielding the ball in a challenge show an understanding of his role beyond some of his senior counterparts. 

Something that I think has helped, even though they only played a handful of games, is having U20s in the Challenge Cup. Playing against senior pros in a game that actually had consequence forced them to be a little smarter. I feel, as do a few folk at the club I've spoken too, that they will learn more in those two or three games than they will playing youth football with little at stake. 

I agree with everything you say,Dude.Back in the mid 60's when I came to Australia the club I played for asked me if I would coach their U/14's, so that started my coaching interests; anyway, one night at training I watched a kid from the u/10's running riot against his team mates who couldn't get near him. I persuaded the boys Father and the club to let him play for the U/14's and everybody thought I was insane....Six years later that kid became the youngest footballer in Australia to sign with a Professional football club, who incidentally had 3 players go to the 1974 World Cup, including the Australian Captain.

If you're good enough, you are old enough.

The only way to gauge a successful youth academy is to see how many of them become 1st team regulars.

We are not running Auchenhowie to develop players for anyone else but us.

Maybe Auchenhowie has become more of a training centre for the 1st team and less of a an Academy.

9 minutes ago, The Dude said:

This is something I've absolutely no doubt Mulholland and Murty do. Murty gets animated on the touch line but I've never once seen him bollock a player for making a daft mistake. They understand they are still learning the game and their role within it and appreciate that they will make mistakes and it's the coaching staffs job to teach them what they could do to not make it again. There's plenty in the last where I've seen players absolutely bollocked for making the wrong pass with no explanation what they should have done and why. 

Couldn't agree more,mate! A good coach will explain and then show the player exactly what he should have done, or should not have done, depending on the situation.

Just now, Ozblue said:

I agree with everything you say,Dude.Back in the mid 60's when I came to Australia the club I played for asked me if I would coach their U/14's, so that started my coaching interests; anyway, one night at training I watched a kid from the u/10's running riot against his team mates who couldn't get near him. I persuaded the boys Father and the club to let him play for the U/14's and everybody thought I was insane....Six years later that kid became the youngest footballer in Australia to sign with a Professional football club, who incidentally had 3 players go to the 1974 World Cup, including the Australian Captain.

If you're good enough, you are old enough.

Absolutely and from everything I've heard from folk who follow Mexican football closely it's a philosophy Caixinha also subscribes to. Our problem in the past has been they've been old enough but nowhere near good enough. We're at a point now where the oldest group are almost all between 17-19 (with a lot of them at the lower end of that) and it can only help these lads kick on. Being a few levels down from the first team at 17 only causes stagnation in their development and, for me at least, the plan to return to reserve football instead of U20s will only set development in Scotland further back.