Anybody know the rules on kit colour clashes?

4 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

I believe keepers can wear any colour as long as it doesn't clash with either teams outfield kit.

I think the same generally applies for referees although they should ideally wear a different colour to the keepers as well.

Yep, think the keeper needs to be distinguishable from both teammates and opposition outfield; refs are never going to be in a position to be confused with the keepers. 

10 hours ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

I believe keepers can wear any colour as long as it doesn't clash with either teams outfield kit.

I think the same generally applies for referees although they should ideally wear a different colour to the keepers as well.

At amateur level our goalie top was red and the ref had his red referee top and he made our keeper wear a yellow bib on top of his goalie top

4 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

At amateur level our goalie top was red and the ref had his red referee top and he made our keeper wear a yellow bib on top of his goalie top

I've never experienced it with any of my teams. I arrange a charity match every year though and our ref always makes a point of asking what colour all of the strips are before the game so he can choose his colours.

I think that's just a wee bit OCD on his part though as it's unlikely hes ever going to get confused with the keepers.

Both goalkeepers are not allowed to wear the same colour of jersey in case, for some reason, they were to be close together and one was to handle, for example a corner as sometimes happens late on in games. They also should not clash with officials but that seems to get ignored these days.

I remember going to Scotland v Brazil friendly in 1973 and thinking there was something odd about big Peter's jersey. This one gets complicated, see picture of big Peter below,

1973 Scotland V Brazil at Hampden, Brazil play in yellow and the Scotland goalkeepers top is yellow so he has to change,  the Scotland keeper's change strip is red,  he can't wear red as the officials are wearing red due to the fact that their normal black is too close the Scotland's jersey colour of navy blue. The Brazil goalkeeper also has to change from their normal blue to grey because of colour clash with Scotland's jersey.

It all ends up with big Peter wearing a green Queens Park jersey resplendent with big Queens Park badge!

scotland-v-brazil-international-friendly

The team I am involved in wears Aston VILLA style strips but our age group wore sky blue tops not sure why. Team we were playing wore purple but when they turned up they had their new Argentina strip. Then the ref turned up with a sky blue top because he assumed we would wear maroon. The ref wore a red bib and the opposition wore a mix of coloured bibs. It looked ridiculous. We had phoned them and ref to agree colours in advance but ref got changed at last minute. 

12 hours ago, East Enclosure Row N said:

Surprised to see referee and our keeper both in black outfits today - I thought there always had to be a clear contrast? Saw both keepers in yellow a couple of weeks ago - but unlikely they are going to be together on the park.

Any body know the rules on this?

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_football.cfm?page=3597

Rule 4 :

Colours
• Each goalkeeper must wear colours that distinguish him from the other players, the referee and the assistant referees

Suppose that the two keepers are players, then their colours canny clash.