ManVFat Glasgow

Dietspam

First off, I’m sorry if this isn’t allowed here. I know there are a few topics like this in the Bears Den but I think this can help improve the health of some of our larger Bears like myself! Those who don’t want to go to slimming world or some equivalent, this is playing fitba for guys looking to lose weight.

I love playing 5’s with my mates but if anyone has ever played, you’ll know it’s a proper pain in the arse to get a regular thing going ever week and if you’re overweight like me, trying to join a normal team for regular games probably isn’t an option.

I spotted ManVFat last year before it started up in Glasgow. It was all over England but hadn’t been set up here yet. I forgot all about it until I started playing 5’s again with my mates a few weeks back but as usual, games were cancelled and there were some really fit players there so it was like chasing shadows. I checked up on it again a couple of weeks ago and was surprised to find that they were near the end of their season! After looking into it again, I joined up on the Saturday night after playing 5’s that day and was playing the next morning!

Have a look here and check the page out. One of the teams has uploaded some photos of their squad and it’s a really good indicator of the average size of the players. If you think you’re too big or unfit to play, you are wrong. Some lads are massive, some just carrying some extra pounds and all the in-between.

Games are on a Sunday over at Glasgow Green Football Centre. They start around 12pm depending on when your team is up. Although I think this is being changed to an earlier time for next season. Talk is about 10 or 11 start time. There are 3 weeks left and teams are looking for players to play in their cup games. After the 3 weeks, the new season starts 1 week after that so it’s pretty regular. It’s 6 a side, normally with a dedicated keeper, but some of the teams swap their man in the sticks if they are blowing out their arse. Teams can use subs for the same reason. When you join up, you get the What’s App group code and then you are allocated a team and their team What’s App code. I was fucked into the bottom team that hasn’t won a game this season :lol: But I don’t mind as it’s a laugh and I’ve lost half a stone and been there only 2 weeks.

It’s not for everyone but for me, I just wanted to play some football again. It’s an easier way to lose weight and the motivation is there because if you pile the pounds back on above your start weight, you cost your team an own goal.

https://www.manvfatfootball.org/glasgow

12 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

great idea mate. but I would kill myself before I turned up at fat mans football. Just being honest.

Not everyone is massive mate. There are a lot of guys there that are standard blokes. Anyway, as i said, not for everyone. 

That's a great idea.

Getting up and getting active is a daunting task for someone who is heavy and self conscious.

There was a lad in the gym tonight getting a few sniggers as he ran on the treadmill because he was massive, i say fair play to him for getting in there and doing something about it.

2 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

That's a great idea.

Getting up and getting active is a daunting task for someone who is heavy and self conscious.

There was a lad in the gym tonight getting a few sniggers as he ran on the treadmill because he was massive, i say fair play to him for getting in there and doing something about it.

exactly mate. people can't win. Laughed at for being fat, laughed at for doing something about it :duh:

1 minute ago, Dietspam said:

Not everyone is massive mate. There are a lot of guys there that are standard blokes. Anyway, as i said, not for everyone. 

I know mate. Its the stigma. Even just saying to myself "right I am off to the fat mans football" I just couldn't do it. I appreciate the sentiment and whats being tried - and it makes sense to do some exercise to lose weight but I just couldn't do it.

And I am not even overweight so fuck knows why I am even talking about it.

3 minutes ago, Dietspam said:

exactly mate. people can't win. Laughed at for being fat, laughed at for doing something about it :duh:

Mate, i was 14.5 stone of fat when i joined the gym to cut down before my boy was born.

Didn't want to be a fat dad.

He's 12 this year and i'm still enjoying it, it's a great social tool to meet new folk, made loads of good mates through the years.

8 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

I know mate. Its the stigma. Even just saying to myself "right I am off to the fat mans football" I just couldn't do it. I appreciate the sentiment and whats being tried - and it makes sense to do some exercise to lose weight but I just couldn't do it.

And I am not even overweight so fuck knows why I am even talking about it.

I would look at it as off to play football with guys at my own fitness level. 

Just now, Courtyard Bear said:

Sounds like a great idea OP, what happens when you lose the weight are you not allowed to play any more. 

I can't remember what the lowest BMI is. Something like 24.5. After that I dunno to be honest. I've got a while to worry about that :lol: