Mighty Rangers. The Best In The World ?

tannerall

stuff like this fucking depresses me. we desperately need to return to that greatness. we need those players who know what it means to play for our club and only care about bringing success to the club. they need to not only win our domestic competitions but seriously competing in europe. yet he we are with an incompetent board and shite players and struggling to keep up with aberdeen/celtic. 

i believe we'll return to it but it's fucking dreadful right now. that lot need put back in their place. someone needs to step up and get our club on track.

7 minutes ago, one55 said:

stuff like this fucking depresses me. we desperately need to return to that greatness. we need those players who know what it means to play for our club and only care about bringing success to the club. they need to not only win our domestic competitions but seriously competing in europe. yet he we are with an incompetent board and shite players and struggling to keep up with aberdeen/celtic. 

i believe we'll return to it but it's fucking dreadful right now. that lot need put back in their place. someone needs to step up and get our club on track.

That kind of tradition and history can't be bought and we stood to lose it all about five years ago. 

But we survived, we did not walk away, and although we are in a relatively poor place those old achievements set a standard and we can now use that heritage as a standard to start reaching towards the heights again.

Onward and upward. :rangers:

Once upon a time in a galaxy far far away........

I fear it's going to take a long time for our club to ascend to the dizzying heights we once knew, a time when we actually respected rather than reviled. Unfortunately I don't believe I'll be alive to see it, I'm 52 this year and I reckon it won't happen in what's left of my lifetime.

5 minutes ago, big blue Fin said:

Once upon a time in a galaxy far far away........

I fear it's going to take a long time for our club to ascend to the dizzying heights we once knew, a time when we actually respected rather than reviled. Unfortunately I don't believe I'll be alive to see it, I'm 52 this year and I reckon it won't happen in what's left of my lifetime.

Fs big man you might as well chuck the towel in ? you'll still be around dont worry. It will take time but you'll see it again. 

And here's another great link I got indirectly from that site.

http://www.rangersinlondon.co.uk/1963.htm

An extract  from this 1963 friendly testimonial report:

Wearing a suit Jack Kelsey takes to the field and receives a fantastic ovation from all sides of the ground. In fact he is to play a small but interesting part in his game, he kicks the game off sweeping the ball onto Rangers right hand side….

FIRST HALF

25 seconds : GOAL 1-0 RANGERS : Jim Baxter scores a wonder goal almost directly from kick off. McMillan collects from the kick off and passes to Baxter, he nonchalantly runs 30 yards with the ball, pretends to line up a pass and thunders home a left foot shot past McKechnie who is still rooted to his line as the ball flies into the net. Of course it’s not Kelsey’s fault, Arsenal’s defence should have broken down Baxter’s attack.

FINAL SCORE : ARSENAL 2 (Skirton 2) RANGERS 2 (Baxter, Brand). 
Attendance 33,007 Receipts : £7,000

9 hours ago, tannerall said:

An article from a football magazine called "Charles Buchan's Football Monthly" from 1963. 

http://www.soccerattic.com/article/mighty-rangers-the-best-in-the-world/

15-03-09-CB-OCT-63-Rangers-10in-883x1240

Cheers tannerall.
The year I started going to watch the only team in the world for me.

9 hours ago, one55 said:

This for me . In 2012 when everything kicked off Looking back on the glory days was a great sense of comfort and escape from what was happening . Just to remind us all what we are . Still proud as ever watching those clips and seeing these stories but it also saddens me now to see the depths this great club has sunk to in recent years . And have been passed from one incompetent bunch of fuckwits to another. the board and the players who should these clips and stories rammed down their throats to remind them who and where they are at .

This Evening Times 1963 article's great, but even better I noticed a brilliant unintended optical "misprint" in the bottom paragraph of the second column.

Anyone else spot it ?

http://image.wikifoundry.com/image/1/dPAKHd3lBk_I3NKvk3-bjg640434/GW1161H1394

Our current lot gets me down, aye, but I'm fortunate that I was born in 1988, became a fan during 9IAR and hadn't really went through any hard times as a Bear until 2012. I've always found looking back at our history interesting, especially during the Advocaat years when I thought we were losing that identity with hardly any Scots in the squad. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy at where we are now. But I know other Bears who lived through that mob winning 9IAR, Alex's sheep etc. And I take some comfort over how gleeful fans of teams like St. Mirren were over the prospect of small crowds at Ibrox in 2012, only for the loyal to continue to follow on. 

Our history and fan base lead me to believe we will get back to that level. It's different in England as there are several teams with large fanbases; there are only two in Scotland. We, as a club, should be self-sustainable. We need shot of Sports Direct as well as King, but I do believe we will eventually have different owners in place, and that will partly be down to how the fans have stood by their club.

Having said that, the sooner the better - need to stop that lot getting 10...

5 hours ago, tannerall said:

This Evening Times 1963 article's great, but even better I noticed a brilliant unintended optical "misprint" in the bottom paragraph of the second column.

Anyone else spot it ?

http://image.wikifoundry.com/image/1/dPAKHd3lBk_I3NKvk3-bjg640434/GW1161H1394

"The tims" will not like that :Fod::mutley::UK:

The boys walking out cause the cups had green rings on them is class, reminds me off my auld grandad, no green ever in his house, if any off my brothers or sisters or my cousins went to stay with him wearing anything green, he'd go off his nut!!.

staunchest man I knew ??????