New Daily Record blog.

Rangers should turn to the Under-20s instead of continuing with 'impostors' who seem more interested in retweets than trophies

Our Ibrox blogger has backed Pedro Caixinha but insists the new manager in turn needs backed by Dave King.

BYJAMES BLACK

14:38, 3 MAY 2017

James has been angered by Rangers’ performances this season

Get Daily updates directly to yourinbox

+ Subscribe

On the back of Rangers’ worst home Old Firm defeat since Queen Victoria was on the throne there are some real doubts about the board's plans to take the club forward and challenge Celtic for the title.

With Brendan Rodgers' side miles ahead of us, Aberdeen almost certainly finishing second in the league and St Johnstone breathing down our neck for the final Europa League place, there is now a real concern amongst supporters that the club are heading for long-term mediocrity; just as season ticket renewals get under way and the board expect hard-working fans to shell out hundreds of pounds.

An absentee chairman who has been spotted on Edmiston Drive even less than the mythical Jordan Rossiter isn't helping matters and it's understandable fans are getting more than a little restless.

ADVERTISING

inRead invented by Teads

Jordan Rossiter (above) and Dave King – neither have been spotted on Edmiston Drive that often

When Dave King and the 'Three Bears' took over the running of the club there was a genuine belief things would start improving but, sitting here today, they have stayed largely the same; the only noticeable difference being Paul Murray's magnificent hair being a vast improvement on the less impressively-coiffured Easdales.

The woeful retail deal remains in place, the company remains toxic to City investors, there have been more appearances in court than at Hampden and the playing staff is still full of over-paid duds who seem more interested in retweets and favourites than points and trophies. After all the talk of big investment from King, his kids' inheritance looks like it's not going to be put at risk after all.

Caixinha needs backed in the window (Photo: SNS)

The appointment of Pedro Caixinha(arguably one of the few positives of King's reign) should be one that helps the team improve and, despite the negativity surrounding it in Scotland, everyone I've spoken to who followed him at Santos Laguna believe he has the ability to be a title-winning manager at Ibrox. But will hinge on receiving adequate transfer funds to carry out the massive changes this side clearly needs.

ADVERTISEMENT

It was always going to be a difficult task for Caixinha to come in and get something out of this group of players and after the weekend performance against Celtic I'd be more inclined to throw in some of the Under-20s such as Max Ashmore, Aidan Wilson or Liam Burt than continue with some of the impostors who lined up on Saturday lunchtime.

Burt has impressed James in the Under-20s

Some of the criticism of the Portuguese has been completely over the top and, despite the two results against Celtic, it's unfair to judge the manager after eight weeks or so in the job. Just look at Rodgers across the city and his early struggles in Europe.

Give the manager some time to get his feet under the table, implement his playing style and bring in his own players and then judge what he can do. He might turn out to be the flop some have already claimed him to be but a knee-jerk reaction and, more than a touch of ignorance of football beyond what is broadcast on Sky and BT Sport, is not the answer.

Just now, The Dude said:

Simple answer before it gets to that. I have bills to pay and a career to build. If anyone else wants to pay me more not to write for them then be my guest. If not, then I couldn't particularly care less if people don't like me writing for them. 

Need to know what they paid you before commenting further.

3 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

I'll give them one hit for the greater good.

Fuck anyone else doing that so ive done a copy and paste for all to read.

Only cos I can't delete your thread.

Writing for the Record. Shameless.

You want to pay me instead? 

1 minute ago, Frank Harrison said:

You're pretty unpopular, you should stick your head in one of those things that means you cant move and let people throw things at you, you'd make a fortune.

I have considered it before but expect that, like last time someone offered to show up to where I was on here, it wouldn't end up happening.

Just now, The Dude said:

Ah well. Tough titty then. Let me turn down more paid work to keep some anonymous punters on a forum happy. ?

You do what you need or want to do.

Doesn't stop you being as bad as any other that's sold their soul to a republican rag that despises our club.

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Because everyone that I've spoken to that actually know something about the guy rate him highly. 

Aw so because he did something in another continent, automatically means he's a positive appointment for Rangers?

Interesting to see if they are so forth coming with allowing you to write pro Rangers stories?

I know this piece at aimed at King and everything you've said about him is true however it's still a negative story for Rangers as a whole.

Guess only time will tell...