James Tavernier

Seems to be a guy who consistently puts in decent performances for us, and is a steady 6 or 7 every game. 

Sure he can get caught up the park at times, but his ability and bravery on the ball has created a number of important goals for us - see Filth away or even yesterday. Picks the ball up, and when some would punt it into the box or launch it up the park he takes on his man and creates. 

Hes one of only a handful that I think can step up with better quality around him, yet seems to be a constant target for criticism and abuse. Can't get my head around it. 

Am I alone in thinking this? 

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think he's really the only one who's improved so far under Pedro (I suppose you could also say Bates and Beerman although they didn't feature for the first team before Pedro arrived).

There's definitely a good player in there but I do think we'll need better if we're going to challenge.

Just now, graeme_4 said:

Seems to be a guy who consistently puts in decent performances for us, and is a steady 6 or 7 every game. 

Sure he can get caught up the park at times, but his ability and bravery on the ball has created a number of important goals for us - see Filth away or even yesterday. Picks the ball up, and when some would punt it into the box or launch it up the park he takes on his man and creates. 

Hes one of only a handful that I think can step up with better quality around him, yet seems to be a constant target for criticism and abuse. Can't get my head around it. 

Probably not and I don't get all this defending of what are average overpaid, underperforming players of limited ability who lack a spine. Just another repeat offender that is not our future if we do wish to have any ambition to turn the scum over.

Nearly as big a liability Kiernan. His defending is rank. of His final ball is rank. Could he even make the scum's bench? Never in a million, so he's absolutely of fucking no use to us and ffs, please don't tell me he can be shoehorned into midfield.

9 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

The criticism is fair though. His biggest flaw is that, rather than track back to position, he'll chase after the ball and leaves his centre back exposed. We can get away with it at times, but there are games where him being out of position hurts us. 

Murty took that weakness and made it a strength against Celtic; by playing him in the right side of the midfield, it allowed Tav to get up the pitch and try to create something, and when he tracked back he was an extra man in the centre of the pitch or centre of defence. 

I think he deserved criticism, but there's a difference between constructive criticism - or just warranted criticism - and abuse. I wouldn't class him as one of the players that just doesn't look like he has the mentality to play for us, and he's one of the players I would keep for now. But he's not the standard of right back we need if we want to challenge. 

3 minutes ago, Captain Hilts said:

Think he's really the only one who's improved so far under Pedro (I suppose you could also say Bates and Beerman although they didn't feature for the first team before Pedro arrived).

There's definitely a good player in there but I do think we'll need better if we're going to challenge.

There's definitely a very poor comedian in there.

Guest Lloyd72

He's been involved in a lot of our goals this season partick thistle one is a good example, he carried the ball forward 50 yards and played it to Miller who crossed to garner and scored the winner it's not the first time he's done this either

9 minutes ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Been told (and this may just be someone putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5) that him wes are off to Forest to join mr plan a.

If so they better stump up (and our board demand) decent readies.

If Forrest came in I think I'd be happy to sell. Get some decent money and reinvest in players who will improve the team.

I'm generally not a fan of the modern day full back who can bomb down the pitch and cross the ball, but struggles to tackle or mab mark. I think they can be as much a luxury and liability defensively as they are an asset creatively, and I'd rather have solidity at the back first and foremost. Horses for courses though, I guess. 

Guest Lloyd72
4 minutes ago, RDFM said:

We won't win the league with him starting, it's as simple as that really.

We won the league with Broadfoot at right back so anything is possible

He is not above criticism - especially defensively -  but I think he is quite a brave player and when things are not going right is one of the few players we have who tries to do something about it, rather than wait on others doing it for them. For me, it was no surprise to see Tav and Miller being instrumental in our second goal. 

Guest Lloyd72
Just now, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Aye but Kirk is a player

I liked Kirk tbf but he was shite tbh. I remember when he used to try to do stepovers

He's good going forward, taking people on, despite his final ball sometimes being poor. Which is a bit annoying, considering some of the goals he had previously scored for us from free kicks etc.

He does try, been our best player a good few times, although that's not been hard, and when he's good, he is good, when he's bad, he is bad. 

I think he's a good player even though the defensive aspect of his game isn't great, but given he is such an assest in atrack that can be forgiven. Could do with driving into the box a bit more to take a shot. Also, he needs to work on his set piece delivery - yesterday was woeful.

27 minutes ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Been told (and this may just be someone putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5) that him wes are off to Forest to join mr plan a.

If so they better stump up (and our board demand) decent readies.

How much could we get for both? £3 million?