James Tavernier

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Del said:

I'm sorry mate but if the fullback/winger is putting a whipped ball into the 6 yard box or across the face of the goal, why arent the strikers there?

Probably because they are playing CM!!

point stands, why is he giving the ball to the opposition by wastefully crossing the ball into an empty box, danny wilson can play fantastic 50 yard long balls to our front man, doesnt mean it is the correct option everytime

sure if tav is in a position to whip in a cross and no one is there, he can complain to them about it, but at least he should have the smarts to keep the ball instead of simply giving them the ball back

1 minute ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

point stands, why is he giving the ball to the opposition by wastefully crossing the ball into an empty box, danny wilson can play fantastic 50 yard long balls to our front man, doesnt mean it is the correct option everytime

sure if tav is in a position to whip in a cross and no one is there, he can complain to them about it, but at least he should have the smarts to keep the ball instead of simply giving them the ball back

If he was getting the ball and playing endless crosses into the box when no one was there then you would be correct but that's not what I said...

We have scored what 4 goals against Celtic this year and Tav assisted 2 (both crosses) of them and was heavily involved in the 3rd.

I just think hes one of those players where people remember the 1-2 bad things he does and forget the good things, where as the opposite applies to Hodson!

2 minutes ago, Del said:

If he was getting the ball and playing endless crosses into the box when no one was there then you would be correct but that's not what I said...

We have scored what 4 goals against Celtic this year and Tav assisted 2 (both crosses) of them and was heavily involved in the 3rd.

I just think hes one of those players where people remember the 1-2 bad things he does and forget the good things, where as the opposite applies to Hodson!

no you said

28 minutes ago, Del said:

I sit in SJ1 and have lost count of the times he has put great balls into the box only for no one to be there.

It hard to judge him on "end product" when we score so little goals. 

you have "lost count" of the amount of times he has put great balls into the box, and then you pick 2 assists from it, so the point does stand, why whip a fantastic ball into the box when no one is in there

Hope Forrest want him gets pulled out of position to much especially against Celtic they play a simple ball into the space he is meant to cover and then there away not Rangers class in my opinion we need a right back that can defend first

Just now, Jimbeamjunior said:

no you said

you have "lost count" of the amount of times he has put great balls into the box, and then you pick 2 assists from it, so the point does stand, why whip a fantastic ball into the box when no one is in there

We are going round in circles mate, I explained what I said in my following post...

No point discussing it when you have already made up your mind hes rubbish.

I only mentioned Celtic as I have watched those games back a few times and it stuck out to me. I could find more if you like?

34 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

exposed or not, he is constantly caught out of position and defensively he is utterly shite

There is no or not mate. We haven't played with a DM that you'd expect from a side who's FBs play as wide men for the majority of the time. No-one is filling in when he's up the park and he's up the park because its the style he's being asked to play.

Last 2 OF game he's been made to face up with Sinclair and Roberto Cafu and provide our attacking threat from the right. Course he looked overwhelmed.

He's not Gary Stevens. We get it. No cunt thinks he's top class.

He is certainly still very rough round the edges but he does have a good engine going up and down the wing even at the end of games, he definitely has a technical ability with dead balls ( just lost it most of this season ) as he has proven, The thing is this team has suffered greatly from a lack of cohesion and confidence but as poor as our team has been Tav has not been the worst by any means. I would have no problem in Pedro sticking by him if he thinks he has the quality because despite the experts on here the gaffer really is the only one that he has to impress

Guest Lloyd72
36 minutes ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

I quite liked him too. Best story ever of Kirk was when he got called up for Scotland m then turned up late for training n when Walter grilled him he said "Calm down gaffer I've been too busy scoring goals for my country" 

They says even Walter was pissing himself ???

The guy was a lunatic and that stuff with him microwaving an egg was legendary. Gained loads of respect for him after what he did to that cunt McLean as well

Tavernier and Wallace would both benefit from playing in a back 5 , If Pedro's choice is a 4 then both will struggle defensively against the better teams and europe won't last long. Hard to be too critical of Tavernier because he has a lot of attributes and never hides but he just doesn't think like a defender and never will.

11 minutes ago, Lloyd72 said:

The guy was a lunatic and that stuff with him microwaving an egg was legendary. Gained loads of respect for him after what he did to that cunt McLean as well

Always like him, big honest pro and fucking hates Roman Catholics!! 

Our squad is crying out for a few with the same mentality right now.

2 hours ago, Blue Avenger said:

If you were ruthless, you would have kicked his arse out the front door long ago. If he's a defender the pope's a prod.

As for the rest, it beggars belief. So we only get a few out this close season and get better. Then the next season we get more in and we then challenge the scum. I take it you are assuming the scum will have just stood still in their quest for 10iar  and the latter stages of the CL? Then of course along the way they have picked up another 60 mil CL money, whilst we still live off loans to keep the lights on at best.

More thinking needed, as that just aint working.

Mate i feel your pain trust me im ragin myself but i'm just trying to be realistic. To swap a full squad out and in takes time and money, we dont have too much of either. 

2 hours ago, rfc_watp said:

One of the most frustrating players I've come across on a dead ball situation. Lost count how many free kicks and corners he has wasted by either not being able to get it past the first man or launching it far too deep.

In the Championship his delivery was first class so not sure if it's a confidence thing.

I think you answered your own query mate! Another player who found his level in the Championship, and was unable to make the step up, just like a few others in our squad. A pity coz he started the season quite well.

14 minutes ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Think Tav would be great in the right hand side of a midfield 4 where he can attack fullback and know there is a Right Back supporting him. 

Exactly. In fact is that not where Murty played him in front of the defence? so that when he inevitably gets caught out of position he has much needed cover behind him. Thought he played his best football of the season under Murty.

1 hour ago, Dryhorse said:

Hope Forrest want him gets pulled out of position to much especially against Celtic they play a simple ball into the space he is meant to cover and then there away not Rangers class in my opinion we need a right back that can defend first

I'm amazed that you're in here saying anyone isn't Rangers class after some of the suggestions you've made in that transfer forum.

Good going forward but absolutely no interest in defending. He either needs to be moved further up or he needs the fact he's a defender first drummed into him as I suspect that hasn't been the case under Warburton and Caixinha. 

He is one of our better players though. 

4 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

Seems to be a guy who consistently puts in decent performances for us, and is a steady 6 or 7 every game. 

Sure he can get caught up the park at times, but his ability and bravery on the ball has created a number of important goals for us - see Filth away or even yesterday. Picks the ball up, and when some would punt it into the box or launch it up the park he takes on his man and creates. 

Hes one of only a handful that I think can step up with better quality around him, yet seems to be a constant target for criticism and abuse. Can't get my head around it. 

Am I alone in thinking this? 

He has a tendency to jog back and does get caught out of position so often - especially against them where I though he was missing for at least two of there goals  - perhaps a better right mid than right back