BT taking all Scottish games off Sky

13 hours ago, K.A.I said:

SKY can't compete with BT? ... I could be wrong but I'd have thought it was the other way around.

Any games BT take is the ones SKY don't want. Make no mistake. 

BT would be doing SKY a favour taking the Scottish games. Why does Scotland think we're owed something from SKY? this wee Highlander mentality is mental. It's a pish product. If you feel strongly about it cancel your SKY subscription or something.

It's ridiculous and It's an attitude that's promoted by those in charge of Scottish the football and by the media

You just have to look at that Scotlands Game programme on BBC that basically asked the question "what caused the drop in standards in Scottish football?" and their answer was Sky TV and Rangers :lol:

Those in charge of the SFA have basically buried their heads in the sand for the past 20 years and have given up. 

Four or more OF games might be a big draw but I can't understand why they'd pay to broadcast the rest of the Scottish games just to get the OF,  I'm surprised they haven't just low balled every offer or said "we want the OF but you can keep the rest"

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Johnny Dangerously said:

And Gerry McNee, whatever happened to that cunt ?

To be fair mate .He for me was the most exciting commentator ever growing up and the one guy that always did his research very well 

I have some old commentaries on tape with Gerry .The 5-1 game ,the 2-2 

He always got ripped into the beggars as well ,although he clearly favoured them 

I know he fell on hard times but I only have good memories of his commentating and strong views 

I know many bears will think of something to diss him for, but I wish the guy would sort himself out and come back into the limelight if possible 

Will always be the one that added drama to any match commentary .

I've lost track of where the 21st Century Fox bid is for Sky.     Last I recall it had been referred to both OFCOM and the Competition and Markets Authority to review and determine if Fox is a fit and proper owner to take over Sky.   Fox already owns just under 40% of Sky I think.  Fox's bid of just over £11Bn would - I assume - give them full control.

As to whether Sky under full Fox ownership and control is bigger than the BT corporate empire is one thing but not, imo, the decisive thing.  I'd have thought that what will matter is how much weight Fox will give to taking Sky and its overall offering - including Sky Sports - to a bigger revenue generation level, and with that the extent to which it is prepared to pump additional money into Sports (and not just football) to fuel the generation of that additional revenue. Being American I'd have thought that Fox's primary goal will be to maximise revenues and maximise profit and that they may be a lot more hard nosed about that than BT who still, in my view, struggle to shake off an image of being a sort of public sector cousin.......and one that is in near permanent wrangles with its regulator OFCOM.

Size matters at that scale of corporate business, but for football and within that Scottish football and more particularly Rangers whether a BT offering would be likely to produce more revenue than an enhanced Sky/Fox offering in due course is, to my mind, nowhere near clear yet.    One thing seems certain enough though, the overall product of Scottish football is not so attractive to audiences outside Scotland that the amount of money finding its way to Scottish clubs will still be very very far below the money finding its way to  clubs in the English leagues.   The gap seems to me to be likely to grow wider.   A gulf becoming an unbridgeable chasm, if its not already that. 

Maybe a Fox/Sky broadcaster, with far more American business oomph than we see this side of the Atlantic or in Europe, might be a more powerful catalyst to introducing cross-border leagues as a way of fuelling that additional demand for services and additional revenues and the additional profit that Fox would presumably be seeking.  And in doing so regenerate the football landscape in Europe by introducing freshness and innovation into the game.   Here's hoping.   Because that sort of game changer may well be a way of generating far more TV revenue for clubs like Rangers. 

if sky lose it then i won't be watching on BT sport. 1) i don't have bt broadband and don't plan to buy it. same is true for sky 2) they don't offer a service like Now TV which sky do. 

if BT want to compete they need to make it accessible to more people.

10 hours ago, ianferguson said:

Sky refused to be held to ransom and let BT  pay WELL over the odds for the champions league , they'll bide their time in the hope BT goes tits up and failing that will be back to compete for CL imo. 

The EPL deal is already inflated. Sky got what it really wanted, but at a huge cost. It will be very interesting to see what the next tv deal will be like; it could be that it won't match the last one. If it does then that will be even more inflated. It's highly possible that the nature of these deals will very much change within the next decade.

7 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

To be fair mate .He for me was the most exciting commentator ever growing up and the one guy that always did his research very well 

He always got ripped into the beggars as well ,although he clearly favoured them 

I know he fell on hard times but I only have good memories of his commentating and strong views 

I know many bears will think of something to diss him for, but I wish the guy would sort himself out and come back into the limelight if possible 

Fair enough bud. Just I found he always liked to have a pop at us more often than not. Will admit his commentary on games was ok though. Do you remember the 3-3 game against them at Ibrox when Robertson scored a legit goal that was ruled out and for about the next minute or so he didn't realise? Was raging at the time as it was defo a goal.

6 minutes ago, one55 said:

if sky lose it then i won't be watching on BT sport. 1) i don't have bt broadband and don't plan to buy it. same is true for sky 2) they don't offer a service like Now TV which sky do. 

I moved to BT last year having been a member of Sky for 10+ years.

BT may not have the overall quality Sky does of their TV box but their broadband is much better than Sky's, and their overall package is way much cheaper, including BT Sport HD for free.

Sky still tried to shaft customers the same price for Sky Sports after they lost the CL games. No way.

13 hours ago, K.A.I said:

SKY can't compete with BT? ... I could be wrong but I'd have thought it was the other way around.

Any games BT take is the ones SKY don't want. Make no mistake. 

BT would be doing SKY a favour taking the Scottish games. Why does Scotland think we're owed something from SKY? this wee Highlander mentality is mental. It's a pish product. If you feel strongly about it cancel your SKY subscription or something.

i think what some are hoping is that BT are willing to invest in the product to make it better, the more money they pump in, then the better the product can become, exactly what SKY did with PL. Personally that is what i am hoping for

13 hours ago, BlueBearz1990 said:

Didn't Sky hold the CL rights for 300m and BT came in with 900m and Sky pulled out right away?

Sky have shafted us mate, they have one of the biggest derbies in world football for next to nothing.

But 4 games don't make a season.  An exciting title race where on any day any side can beat each other.  Scotland certainly doesn't have that and realistically only folks with an interest in Rangers Celtic or Scotland in general will watch old firm games.  Millions watch el Classico and the big games in england 

Just now, loyalfollower said:

But 4 games don't make a season.  An exciting title race where on any day any side can beat each other.  Scotland certainly doesn't have that and realistically only folks with an interest in Rangers Celtic or Scotland in general will watch old firm games.  Millions watch el Classico and the big games in england 

Yes but if BT hold all rights then it's within their power to make the league more interesting with better quality, and in return their views will rise, outside of Scotland

8 minutes ago, BlueBearz1990 said:

Yes but if BT hold all rights then it's within their power to make the league more interesting with better quality, and in return their views will rise, outside of Scotland

Tv companies will only put in if they can get more in return.. the likely hood of great players gracing the Scottish game with the current to deals is slim to none. The only thing that can improve the game first is working together.  The old voting system meant that it only took Rangers and Celtic to vote any new proposals down. I couldn't tell you what it is at the moment and tbh I don't want to know as it'll be shite.  clubs in my opinion should merge. You know? The clubs with 50 fans etc? Also what is the point in Dundee and Dundee Utd? The city is smaller than Wakefield yet thinks it needs 2 clubs across the road from each other!!   The only interest at the moment is lining pockets-  the prime example of wanting 4 fixtures vs Rangers or Celtic each year. That is fucking boring and it's just to get the money from away fans of the oldfirm 

30 minutes ago, one55 said:

That's where they get you. If you want to watch your fav team you need to subscribe. They are now available to 90% Of the UK even rural areas can get superfast broadband (over 30meg). The biggest coverage in UK. 

34 minutes ago, BlueBearz1990 said:

I moved to BT last year having been a member of Sky for 10+ years.

BT may not have the overall quality Sky does of their TV box but their broadband is much better than Sky's, and their overall package is way much cheaper, including BT Sport HD for free.

Sky still tried to shaft customers the same price for Sky Sports after they lost the CL games. No way.

Yes this is very true bluebearz but i went the other way was with bt went to sky i have found talking to sky online i get a better deal there has been 4/5 times i have went on and said am leaving going back to bt as soon as i said that they always come up with deals for me.I payed 15 notes a month for sky sports this season you should always talk to them and say your thinking about leaving. 

I get my bb from them aswell 40meg unlimited never had a problem tbh am paying 15 for that aswell

15 minutes ago, Johnny Dangerously said:

Fair enough bud. Just I found he always liked to have a pop at us more often than not. Will admit his commentary on games was ok though. Do you remember the 3-3 game against them at Ibrox when Robertson scored a legit goal that was ruled out and for about the next minute or so he didn't realise? Was raging at the time as it was defo a goal.

Will never forget it .Was there and it cost us a win in the end .Great game though 

15 hours ago, BlueBearz1990 said:

Didn't Sky hold the CL rights for 300m and BT came in with 900m and Sky pulled out right away?

Sky have shafted us mate, they have one of the biggest derbies in world football for next to nothing.

Sky didnt want to pay that cause its just not worth it...not enough people actually watch champions league.

Sky get 10 times more viewers for soccer saturday than they did champions league coverage so they keep money for the prem

13 hours ago, AlCapone said:

they don't, they pay us what the contract is worth. Its open to bids from any company globally and they were the highest bidders. Simples

They played on the fear of Scottish clubs at the time, they 'bid' £60m less for the exact same contract 10 months after bidding £125m for it then gave an unprecedented same day 6pm deadline because they knew Rangers and them wanted to buy the rights and redistribute them themselves, SKY knew our clubs were desperate and they'd shite it because the Rangers/them plan wasn't given the time it needed to be sold to the then SPL

4 hours ago, eejay the dj said:

McNee was a stinking cunt of a guy, shite journalist, shite commentator and shite pundit when he tried that too, all round a horrible bitter fucktard of a guy  "number 8"

5 hours ago, eejay the dj said:

Was it not Jock Brown who commentates those games?

Sky are continually improving their income in areas outside of football in order to not rely heavily on it. And from what I've been told, from the person who used to have their signature on the bottom of all your bills or payment reminders is that they aren't far away.

I was at a conference when Murdoch Jnr was completely against turning Sky into a utilities company until, I gather, he seen it as the only way to move forward.

Since then they have purchased Easynet and turned it into Sky Broadband, launched Sky Mobile and put a lot of emphasis into TV production and imports from America.

I wouldn't be surprised to see in the next 20 years that they have almost let most of their football go. In terms of user friendly, production and coverage they are miles ahead of BT and Virgin and will happily settle for half of their football that they show the now.