Advocaat first seasons.

KaiserJon

In 35 years going to watch Rangers those first 2 years under Advocaat were the best without doubt the best in terms of the sheer quality of football, no question.Ok everything went tits up but at that time we felt we were really going places and anything seemed possible. Happy days.

It was later on, but i'll never forget Ronald De Boer making his debut at Ibrox. I couldnt believe we were signing someone like that, its as hard to believe now as it was then. If someone had said to me in the late 90's we'd sign him, and then his brother, id have pissed myself laughing. And that was when i was watching laudrup and gascoigne in the same team ?

Out of curiosity, does anyone remember Numan scoring an absolute worldy with the outside of his boot into the Broomloan Rd end, but it being chopped off? My memory is gash, but it might have been a friendly, possibly even his debut? Musta been 25yards out

It was a ridiculous goal, i dont think ive ever seen a replay 

those first two years were incredible, back in the days when a £4-5m player was actually a genuine top player, we were outrageously good which possibly shouldn't be a surprise given what we spent, the first year we clean sweeped but it was the 2nd year, when we went into the CL that I actually believed we had a team capable of winning the whole tournment.

Man Utd were the holders and on our day I'd have fancied us to beat them in a one off game, I'm still totally bemused at how quickly that fire burned out, the tims in fairness got a good manager and built a strong side, probably their strongest in my lifetime and larsson was probably one of their best ever players but we just looked so strong, so fast, skillful... I just don't quite get what happened in the Summer of 2000, I still think we signed Konterman as a big fuck you to the tims who wanted him, maybe that was the real problem, we started worrying about them than concentrating on ourselves.

57 minutes ago, WWTC said:

It was later on, but i'll never forget Ronald De Boer making his debut at Ibrox. I couldnt believe we were signing someone like that, its as hard to believe now as it was then. If someone had said to me in the late 90's we'd sign him, and then his brother, id have pissed myself laughing. And that was when i was watching laudrup and gascoigne in the same team ?

We didn't appreciate how good a team we had at the time.

Advocaat era marks the best quality football of my lifetime and probably the last time we had a squad that was genuinely capable of challenging the best.

I die a little inside when I read about throwing away ten-in-a-row.

Yes, we were spoiled for the nine previous seasons and even responded with a treble, including securing the league title at Parkhead, but fucking hell, we fucked that, big time. Ten was the holy grail; I was brought-up, well aware of the importance of ten.

9 hours ago, WWTC said:

Out of curiosity, does anyone remember Numan scoring an absolute worldy with the outside of his boot into the Broomloan Rd end, but it being chopped off? My memory is gash, but it might have been a friendly, possibly even his debut? Musta been 25yards out

Scored against the tarriers in the copland end with almost the same type of goal you mention

8 hours ago, NixonRFC said:

those first two years were incredible, back in the days when a £4-5m player was actually a genuine top player, we were outrageously good which possibly shouldn't be a surprise given what we spent, the first year we clean sweeped but it was the 2nd year, when we went into the CL that I actually believed we had a team capable of winning the whole tournment.

Man Utd were the holders and on our day I'd have fancied us to beat them in a one off game, I'm still totally bemused at how quickly that fire burned out, the tims in fairness got a good manager and built a strong side, probably their strongest in my lifetime and larsson was probably one of their best ever players but we just looked so strong, so fast, skillful... I just don't quite get what happened in the Summer of 2000, I still think we signed Konterman as a big fuck you to the tims who wanted him, maybe that was the real problem, we started worrying about them than concentrating on ourselves.

Konterman wasnt a fuck you to the tims, we were in for valgarren along with the papes, Konterman became available and advocaat went there instead and we ended up shite lol

31 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Scored against the tarriers in the copland end with almost the same type of goal you mention

Oh i remeber it well mate, that was more bullet-like shot. 

It musta been chopped off for offside but it was an outside-of-the-boot chip/lob. It was defo chopped off so obviously why theres no footage kicking about. 

I bet he remembers it, it was that good. 

Arthur if your posting on here, out yerself for a minute mate

Remember being on holiday that first summer Advocaat was there with only sky news in English on the TV in my room. Every day there was quality signings coming in with money no obstacle. As others have said the football was great and really felt we had a chance of European glory. 

Funnily enough we need to do now what wee fartin did then. Build a team full of big physical players so we can start bullying teams.

12 hours ago, WWTC said:

It was against Shelbourne in 1998. We won 2-0.

Not on Youtube, alas.

3 hours ago, dougal72 said:

Remember being on holiday that first summer Advocaat was there with only sky news in English on the TV in my room. Every day there was quality signings coming in with money no obstacle. As others have said the football was great and really felt we had a chance of European glory. 

Funnily enough we need to do now what wee fartin did then. Build a team full of big physical players so we can start bullying teams.

I was only 14/15 that Summer. The excitement about all the transfer activity was magic.

It was before mobile phones were common and well before smart phones and apps giving transfer news. I remember there used to be phone numbers in the shoot and match magazines where you could phone up and find out all the latest transfer updates on your club.

Was 1 after another with Numan, Gio, Kanchelskis and Amato etc. Was phoning that number everyday from the house phone.

Ended up getting a few skelps with ma maws slipper when the phone bill came in. ?

Well worth the couple of digs right enough.

1 hour ago, brazz1972 said:

I was only 14/15 that Summer. The excitement about all the transfer activity was magic.

It was before mobile phones were common and well before smart phones and apps giving transfer news. I remember there used to be phone numbers in the shoot and match magazines where you could phone up and find out all the latest transfer updates on your club.

Was 1 after another with Numan, Gio, Kanchelskis and Amato etc. Was phoning that number everyday from the house phone.

Ended up getting a few skelps with ma maws slipper when the phone bill came in. ?

Well worth the couple of digs right enough.

Would head  up to my room to catch up on any news every chance I got. Think my mum and dad thought I had a pretty serious wanking addiction. Truth be told I did but that's not the point.

54 minutes ago, SuperPapac05 said:

He bombed in Europe where it mattered. 

He had some great matches then some honking ones as well, gubbing Sturm Graz 5-0 then getting beat 2-0 in the return, from what I remember being the better team against Bayern Munich over both games but getting 1 point. What you would give to see those days again ?