Pedro : We have to stop the leaks

DerKlos

Just now, wilberforce1 said:

That does not sound good. If you're Pedro, and these scum are smiling and nodding when you're talking to them: "yes, Pedro, no Pedro, you're 100% correct, Pedro", and they then slope off to give the likes of KJ the inside story..... ?  They are lower than filth. I'd fucking gut them.

Tbh, i think some are completely under-estimating quite how football works. Clubs use leaks to their benefit all the time. You'll never stop them all, ever, because sometimes it's in the club's interest to put information out there 'unofficially' and tbh if you do stop the bulk of them all that happens is papers will make up stories based on absolutely nothing. 

Not everything that comes out is a leak either. I've been accused of being the person who 'leaked' the MOH no-show story (I was first to publish it). His name was on the team-sheet that was printed by the club before they travelled to Forthbank. They only realised there was a problem when MOH didn't apppear at Forthbank. Similar with Hill's deal not being renewed. He was free to talk to clubs from January under the Bosman ruling. The player, and his agent, are perfectly within their rights to make it clear to others that he will be available come June 1st but that's also been described as a leak. 

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Press conferences are obliged by the league/competition organsers iirc. Can't just stop them without falling foul of the rules.  So attend but 'no comment' or equivalent ie don't engage unless there is a positive reason to do so where it's the Club's message and only the Club's message that gets transmitted. 

All media requests to go to the MD? That's mental. What's the purpose of the press office in this?  The MD has an organisational problem which his staff are not solving.  Time for him to earn his keep and sort it personally.

How does it work with regards members of the media who have pre-existing personal relationships with players pre-dating their tenure at the club?  Binned.  The issue is the here and now not the relationships of the past.  If the priority is to solve leaks then the first and only duty is allegiance to the Club and the Manager.  

Unless the agent is employed by the club it's almost impossible to gag them.   If players want to use agents or to empower agents to speak on their behalf then players themselves must control the circumstances in which the agent says things or arranging for things to be said via third parties.  The Club signs the player not the agent, so the Club can presumably insist on robust, restrictive even, confidentiality and comms clauses in players contracts.  If the player permits his agent to speak out of turn and without player permission then the player remains responsible. That's how I'd play it.  

What about players family & friends? Josh Windass' dad would be considered part of the 'media'. Must he report all conversations with his own dad to the club? Same goes with JJ and his wife.  I'd treat them as third parties with the responsibility for leak-related statements made by these third parties firmly residing with the player.  The player should be accountable for and take responsibility for information about the Club that he gives to any other person whether directly or indirectly.

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Press conferences are obliged by the league/competition organsers iirc. Can't just stop them without falling foul of the rules.

All media requests to go to the MD? That's mental. What's the purpose of the press office in this?

How does it work with regards members of the media who have pre-existing personal relationships with players pre-dating their tenure at the club?

Unless the agent is employed by the club it's almost impossible to gag them.

What about players family & friends? Josh Windass' dad would be considered part of the 'media'. Must he report all conversations with his own dad to the club? Same goes with JJ and his wife.

I'd also add the fax people to that list, I've read a few posts on another forum saying they are passing info. Maybe the club should adopt a policy of employees being sworn to secrecy, like they do in other professions and business's.

e.g journalist have the right to protect their source but the club has a right to protect it's business.

1 minute ago, Reformation Bear said:

So we go to pressers and don't speak, demand players don't speak to their friends, punish players for their agent speaking publicly when the agent isn't 'gagged' and punish players for speaking to people who, typically, would be exempted from any confidentiality clause? 

Thats all just a bit too dictator-ish and wouldn't be enforceable contractually. 

1 minute ago, Sweetheart said:

I'd also add the fax people to that list, I've read a few posts on another forum saying they are passing info. Maybe the club should adopt a policy of employees being sworn to secrecy, like they do in other professions and business's.

e.g journalist have the right to protect their source but the club has a right to protect it's business.

That typically is only do-able with business sensitive data (financial data, contract info etc). If player X tells his wife he's unhappy at the club and his wife tells a pal who happens to work for a paper than there's not much the club can do. 

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Tbh, i think some are completely under-estimating quite how football works. Clubs use leaks to their benefit all the time. You'll never stop them all, ever, because sometimes it's in the club's interest to put information out there 'unofficially' and tbh if you do stop the bulk of them all that happens is papers will make up stories based on absolutely nothing. 

Not everything that comes out is a leak either. I've been accused of being the person who 'leaked' the MOH no-show story (I was first to publish it). His name was on the team-sheet that was printed by the club before they travelled to Forthbank. They only realised there was a problem when MOH didn't apppear at Forthbank. Similar with Hill's deal not being renewed. He was free to talk to clubs from January under the Bosman ruling. The player, and his agent, are perfectly within their rights to make it clear to others that he will be available come June 1st but that's also been described as a leak. 

Fair points :tu:

However, you did say that there was "FAR more than one person leaking info", which suggests that most of it is unwanted publicity for the club.

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

As a DR employee you will know how these things work. thanks for being honest on how the MSM work but these moles at Ibrox have to be stopped as the Rangers brand needs repairing.

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

That typically is only do-able with business sensitive data (financial data, contract info etc). If player X tells his wife he's unhappy at the club and his wife tells a pal who happens to work for a paper than there's not much the club can do. 

I'd still fine the player, in the army if a wife said something about her husbands job he would get his arse kicked and told to control his wife.

4 minutes ago, wilberforce1 said:

Fair points :tu:

However, you did say that there was "FAR more than one person leaking info", which suggests that most of it is unwanted publicity for the club.

Unwanted publicity is part of the deal with being one of the biggest football clubs on earth. There's very little I can think of that's been leaked recently that's brought adverse publicity to the club. Most of that has been in the public domain without any of it being leaked. 

5 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

As a DR employee you will know how these things work. thanks for being honest on how the MSM work but these moles at Ibrox have to be stopped as the Rangers brand needs repairing.

I'm not a Record employee. I'm a freelancer. There's a big difference there. None of what I've posted has any relation to what I do with the Record. I'm not responsible for news gathering or reporting there but instead writing an opinion column. 

What stories have been "leaked" that have affected the Rangers brand?

Just now, The Dude said:

I'm not a Record employee. I'm a freelancer. There's a big difference there. None of what I've posted has any relation to what I do with the Record. I'm not responsible for news gathering or reporting there but instead writing an opinion column. 

What stories have been "leaked" that have affected the Rangers brand?

Fair do's but you are a bit closer to knowing how these things work than the average fan.

Imho, I'd say KJ has done quite a bit of brand damage over the years with his reporting and mud raking. 

4 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

Fair do's but you are a bit closer to knowing how these things work than the average fan.

Imho, I'd say KJ has done quite a bit of brand damage over the years with his reporting and mud raking. 

And what of that has been the result of leaks?

Just now, The Dude said:

And what of that has been the result of leaks?

When the club was going through the hostile takeover, info on the board was coming from within and it caused brand damage to the club's share price.  After this board got in PM congratulated The 'courageous' reporting of the DR. Who ever leaked that info is responsible for the share price plummeting. 

Just now, Sweetheart said:

When the club was going through the hostile takeover, info on the board was coming from within and it caused brand damage to the club's share price.  After this board got in PM congratulated The 'courageous' reporting of the DR. Who ever leaked that info is responsible for the share price plummeting. 

Wait, you think the old board were leaking info to the Record?

Just now, The Dude said:

There wasn't any detail leaked during all that stuff that wasn't publicly available if people bothered to look.

The DR was first to break most of the stories. They helped to get the regime change by reporting the ins and outs of what was going on during that time. There is no way they could have know some of the details without someone from within leaking info to them. e,g letters from the board being published in the paper

Just now, Sweetheart said:

The DR was first to break most of the stories. They helped to get the regime change by reporting the ins and outs of what was going on during that time. There is no way they could have know some of the details without someone from within leaking info to them. e,g letters from the board being published in the paper

You seem to have confused reporting something with it being the result of a leak.

I'm not convinced that any of this is really a leak. It's just chat isn't it. Footballers, WaGs, agents, supporters etc etc all like to talk and the press likes to speculate. Surely agents and the press in particular are forever talking, nods, winks and so on. I'd be much more worried if we were hearing what's going on in the Boardroom. Rangers would like Ronaldo, there you go "rangers in sensational Ronaldo link".