Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, PRW. said:

Why Adamson? He not done well? I just remember him being rated highly when signed from Hibs. Captain of Scotland, beat the tarriers to him etc

Think it's just his age caught him out a little bit really. He'll be 19 in January so it's better he's out somewhere playing first team games regularly than playing youth games and it allows the next group of 15/16 year olds to step up and play a few years ahead of themselves. Looks to be the same scenario with Max.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, WeirFleckNRothen said:

A horrible scenario in any profession, never mind football where he's just seen his younger team mate Billy Gilmour secure a life-changing deal at Stamford Bridge while he's being told he's getting the boot.

Having said that, my cynical side is trying to comprehend why a boy who's never made a professional appearance for the club is announcing his departure on social media, thanking the staff, Murty and the fans via what can only be described as a leaving speech.

Louis Vuitton toilet bags and social media have given young footballers a platform not afforded to that of the older generation.

FFS the boys obviously been here a while and is saying his goodbyes to people he seen every day of his life.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, ben51 said:

All the best to the kid. 

Must be brutal being told you've got to move on. 

I'm sure it's a lesson in life that is hard to take.   We'd never know of course what the thought processes were in the Club in deciding which of the youngsters to let go and which to keep on the books, but it must be a hard job for those making the decisions too.    

The only time I've seen something similar happen was when I was working as a consultant for a global law firm.  One of the legal trainees was, imo, excellent. She was so well thought of that the firm was able to trust her to work in client offices alongside other lawyers from the firm and she always did a great job.  But when it came to deciding whether to take her on as a solicitor the firm decided against it.   Nobody would explain the reasons to me but the Partners clearly saw something, or didn't see enough perhaps, in her work to justify engaging her.  She left, went on to study law in the USA and is now a successful international lawyer    Just goes to show if you believe in your own talents and make enough of a personal effort you can succeed.  

I hope Max goes on to have a great career in football. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Dude - Was he a decent footballer? If so why would he be cut loose?

Aye. Age seems to be the main factor. He's 19 soon and needs first team football. His deal was up at the end of the season so it looks like he's been given the 'opportunity' to go out, make a name for himself and maybe win a move back in the future.

Link to post
Share on other sites

By far the saddest reality in football. The lad and many others spend almost half their life with a club, dream of making the first team, train hard while trying to balance school and other back up plans and sacrificing some of the adventure most of us get to experience when we're young. Football can give you the world, but the reality is it doesn't for the majority. That's why i'll always have the utmost respect for just about every player, regardless of what they earn or don't. 

Great to see the boy handle it with class as well, wish him the very best. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Aye. Age seems to be the main factor. He's 19 soon and needs first team football. His deal was up at the end of the season so it looks like he's been given the 'opportunity' to go out, make a name for himself and maybe win a move back in the future.

No doubt he will get a club elsewhere been one of the stand outs the last few times I have seen the 20s. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Think it's just his age caught him out a little bit really. He'll be 19 in January so it's better he's out somewhere playing first team games regularly than playing youth games and it allows the next group of 15/16 year olds to step up and play a few years ahead of themselves. Looks to be the same scenario with Max.

I think it's the best thing for them. We used to keep lads on the books until they were 22 or so, even though we weren't giving youth a chance; lads had stagnated by the time they had left. Letting them go now at least gives them the chance to get games at a vital age for their development, and if Ashmore makes it he might get another chance.

Good luck to him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WeirFleckNRothen said:

A horrible scenario in any profession, never mind football where he's just seen his younger team mate Billy Gilmour secure a life-changing deal at Stamford Bridge while he's being told he's getting the boot.

Having said that, my cynical side is trying to comprehend why a boy who's never made a professional appearance for the club is announcing his departure on social media, thanking the staff, Murty and the fans via what can only be described as a leaving speech.

Louis Vuitton toilet bags and social media have given young footballers a platform not afforded to that of the older generation.

Just because the older generation didn't have it doesn't mean the younger generation don't deserve it. Very narrow minded view if you ask me. 

He supports the club and wanted to send a message to the fans and his followers. Nothing wrong with what he's said, full of humility and integrity. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

To blood these youngsters they either need to be exceptional or we need to have secured the title and mix the first team with a few of them.

Unfortunately we have neither meaning this is the sort of scenario we can expect more often than not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Leeds_Bear said:

Just because the older generation didn't have it doesn't mean the younger generation don't deserve it. Very narrow minded view if you ask me. 

He supports the club and wanted to send a message to the fans and his followers. Nothing wrong with what he's said, full of humility and integrity. 

To add to that, the Rangers Youth have an official twitter that has regular Q&As, and if anything the young lads are encouraged to interact with fans on social media (albeit sensibly).

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WGOH said:

He's obviously been involved at Rangers for years and it clearly means a lot to him. People who follow him obviously want to be updated on what he's doing so no idea why you're trying to have a go at the boy for taking time out to thank everyone at the club. 

As for your comment about Louis Vuitton toilet bags, why would you care what the boy spends his money on? Hardly his fault the club paid him enough to afford luxury like that.

Either you're being naive or I'm, as I've already admitted, being cynical.

I'm disappointed that I actually have to explain the Louis Vuitton comment because it's clearly gone straight over your head.

Carrying a toiletry bag, usually a Louis Vuitton one, off the team bus and around is a trademark of the professional footballer. Sky and BT Sport maximise it for all its worth. There's an argument against modern day youth footballers, supported heavily by Frank Lampard, that rather than scrubbing boots and doing chores around the training ground, today's youth players are carrying around LV bags and playing to the galleries that are their social media fan base.

1 hour ago, Leeds_Bear said:

Just because the older generation didn't have it doesn't mean the younger generation don't deserve it. Very narrow minded view if you ask me. 

He supports the club and wanted to send a message to the fans and his followers. Nothing wrong with what he's said, full of humility and integrity. 

Elaborate on your first paragraph; what exactly do you mean by it? At no point did I say that the younger generation didn't deserve anything, so I'm intrigued by your accusation that this makes me narrow minded.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Yup good luck to the kid. I always feel bad (but proud too) when I see these emotional goodbyes they give us - it's quite humbling that even though their dreams have been crushed they still have the humility (and maturity) to thank the club and the fans etc. It's nice to see.

You would have been in.fucking tears needing counselling back in 1991 when I. Left then. Never had social media etc. You would have been fu ked up . Lol 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, WeirFleckNRothen said:

Either you're being naive or I'm, as I've already admitted, being cynical.

I'm disappointed that I actually have to explain the Louis Vuitton comment because it's clearly gone straight over your head.

Carrying a toiletry bag, usually a Louis Vuitton one, off the team bus and around is a trademark of the professional footballer. Sky and BT Sport maximise it for all its worth. There's an argument against modern day youth footballers, supported heavily by Frank Lampard, that rather than scrubbing boots and doing chores around the training ground, today's youth players are carrying around LV bags and playing to the galleries that are their social media fan base.

Elaborate on your first paragraph; what exactly do you mean by it? At no point did I say that the younger generation didn't deserve anything, so I'm intrigued by your accusation that this makes me narrow minded.

Cba even typing out a response to that. Not their faults that football isn't as old school as you'd like it to be nowadays. Shame on them for saying goodbye 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, WeirFleckNRothen said:

Either you're being naive or I'm, as I've already admitted, being cynical.

I'm disappointed that I actually have to explain the Louis Vuitton comment because it's clearly gone straight over your head.

Carrying a toiletry bag, usually a Louis Vuitton one, off the team bus and around is a trademark of the professional footballer. Sky and BT Sport maximise it for all its worth. There's an argument against modern day youth footballers, supported heavily by Frank Lampard, that rather than scrubbing boots and doing chores around the training ground, today's youth players are carrying around LV bags and playing to the galleries that are their social media fan base.

Elaborate on your first paragraph; what exactly do you mean by it? At no point did I say that the younger generation didn't deserve anything, so I'm intrigued by your accusation that this makes me narrow minded.

You implied with your LV comment and comparison to the older generation that the younger generation has a platform the they don't deserve. If that's not what you meant then Ia few different posters including myself have misunderstood your post. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, WGOH said:

Cba even typing out a response to that. Not their faults that football isn't as old school as you'd like it to be nowadays. Shame on them for saying goodbye 

Exactly my thoughts, the guy is a boyhood Rangers fan and is saying goodbye to the club he loves in a way he deems appropriate, and most people probably view as appropriate. Some people just love a moan. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Leeds_Bear said:

You implied with your LV comment and comparison to the older generation that the younger generation has a platform the they don't deserve. If that's not what you meant then Ia few different posters including myself have misunderstood your post. 

Nonsense. I said the older generation weren't afforded it, which they weren't; absolutely nothing about deserving it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Captain Hilts said:

Andy Halliday has shown it's always possible to return after being released if you believe and work hard enough. 

All the best Max.

I take your point, but I hope to God the circumstances that allowed that to happen never happen to us again!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Upcoming Events

    • 03 March 2021 18:00 Until 20:00
      0  
      Livingston v Rangers
      Tony Macaroni Arena
      Scottish Premiership
      Live on Sky Sports Football

×
×
  • Create New...