Joe Garner

Guest Lloyd72

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Smile said:

The bad thing is after he scored a good goal he completely vanished from the game as did so many others.

I thought he was decent until the last 20, as someone posted in the match thread when he stops trying to act the hard man and just gets on with it he is a fair player.

1 hour ago, 1NachoNovo said:

A bit Boyd like. He was a hero when he got the service first time round. Why can't JG? He's shown the last 2 games that he can finish from a cross, he's great for flick ons and is not as fat and lazy as Boyd. In a better team next season, he could score for fun.

Boyd in his prime was one of the most natural instinctive finishers we've had at the club in a while. Garner has no natural instincts when it comes to finishing. Only think he looks natural doing is hitting his head off things 

A striker bought under Warburton who didn't suit our style of play. Unfairly criticised for being left as the lone striker where everyone can see he need a partner. His goal today is the sort of service he needs, there's no one else in our current squad that could have scored that today. Hateley had McCoist, Brand had Miller, Garner needs some to work off of, whether it's headers down or crosses into the box. If he has a future then we need to play to his strengths and find a partner to suit his game. Judging his price is taking us back to Tore Andre Flo, for me Flo was ok but never overcame the presses fascination with his price tag but his goals to game ratio was ok. In our current predicament Garner is suffering a similar fate, he plays with passion, he can score goals and he can put himself about! Moving forward we need to find the rite attacking blend, to often we have no one in th box due to our 1 through the  middle and 2 wide so it's leaves us toothless through the middle. 

Joey is one of the people we just need to embrace him and support him with better quality

I think people are wanting him to succeed to much and try to justify this physical attitude he has, which is brilliant, but he isn't that good a football player - based on this season anyway.

May make me eat my words next season if we adapt our style to suit his and play him up front with a strike partner (not sure why we've never given him and Miller up front together a chance tbh), but I can't see it.

Works hard, gives his all, but not the standard we need to challenge for the league, as a starter anyway 

We've got Joey Garner, so we might as well use him for what he does best.

We've got Barrie McKay, who can cross the ball for Garner.

We've got Miller, Windass, and Waghorn, who can get fed off Garners knockdowns. 

Maybe not Waghorn, he'd blast the ball over the bar, or straight at the keeper.

I like our Joey, he may not be the best striker in the world, but if fed with the right ball, he could do well at Ibrox, and hopefully, at other Scottish football grounds we have to play. Let's be positive Bears!!

*FEED OUR JOE AND HE WILL SCORE, FEED OUR JOE AND HE WILL SCORE,

FEED OUR JOE, FEED OUR JOE, FEED OUR JOE AND HE WILL SCORE*. 

15 hours ago, WeirFleckNRothen said:

I thought he played well today, but we're getting desperate if we're singing his praises.

He's been a total waste of money and if you think Waghorn is bad, remember this; he's scored more than Garner.

He's failed to turn-up again and again this season, usually when it mattered.

Mostly penalties from that fat lump ov wood

I was impressed with garner yesterday tbh, I don't think he's a great footballer but he won absolutely everything in the air, just goes to show what a ridiculous signing he was by a manager who insisted on playing the ball to feet to a single striker, I reckon garner would do a good job with another pacey striker to get onto the knock ons, he had so many yesterday.... 

Garner has had 32 Appearances in Scottish cup and league and 11 are from the bench for 10 goals....in a shit team that didn't even cross the ball for all of Warburton's reign which is where he is most effective. 6 of his goals have come since Warbs has left the club.

Miller has 38 appearances in Scottish cup and league and only 5 from the bench for 13 goals......he is lauded and everyone is saying  Garner is shit....Garner could get top goals scorer by the end of season...He is worth keeping and with wingers would score goals.

Waghorn 33 appearances with 11 from the bench with 8 goals.

All poor TBH including Miller..but both Garner & Miller need service, the difference is Garner stays up top (until recently)  and waits for the ball and harries defenders...Miller drops deep and tries to assist the midfield where our issues are.

PL 32(11) 10 gls

PL 38(5) 13 gls

PL 33(11) 8 gls

Talking about Garner yesterday at the game & commented that tgere was a video clip kicking about twitter that showed how Preston got the best out of Garner via wide players getting high crosses into bok for Garner to attack and within a few minutes my point was illustrated quite brilliantly via Miller cross to Garner.

Garners game doesn't seem to be about intricate passing around the penalty box but more about early balls from wide for him to attack.

I'm not saying Garner is the answer to our problems but playing to his strengths, when picked, might help.

20 hours ago, WeirFleckNRothen said:

I thought he played well today, but we're getting desperate if we're singing his praises.

He's been a total waste of money and if you think Waghorn is bad, remember this; he's scored more than Garner.

He's failed to turn-up again and again this season, usually when it mattered.

More than half against teams in a lower league, I think.

He's actually a better players than he's given credit for; he plays the most difficult role on the park, especially if a team isn't playing well, but even then he will always have a goalscoring chance within a match. I'd give him another season, and if we have better players then he might be a better player in terms of scoring more goals.