Joe Garner

Guest Lloyd72

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Reformation Bear said:

Well the article on the Rangers website today (16/5) is one way to tell the player and the Support that Garner is still to be wearing a Rangers jersey next season.

PEDRO Caixinha says he is looking to exploit Joe Garner’s aerial presence next season by focussing on the wide areas of the pitch. The Rangers boss thinks the striker can thrive if he is supplied properly and he believes the former Preston man has proven that in his last two games by heading in from pin point crosses. Garner has scored 10 goals this season with seven coming in the second half of the campaign and Caixinha wants to work to his strengths.

If Garner is being seen by the Manager in this light, as someone he can rely to get the goals needed to produce a credible title-challenging side then he sees far more in Garner than I do.   I don't see this as good news coming from the Manager.     I know the article goes on to emphasise the importance of better quality wide play and delivery into the box but the fundamental here is whether Garner has got it in him to be a proper striker for Rangers.   I very much doubt it.

I think it's more that, at present, nobody is willing to pay us enough to recoup his transfer fee, nor match his wages, so we're stuck with him. 

Garner has cut out his Rambo impersonation as of late, but that's mostly just resulted in him going missing during large portions of the game. If the manager wants to play to his strengths and thinks he can improve him, then hell mend Pedro; Garner is as good as he's ever going to be - and he's not good enough. 

1 hour ago, Turnberry18 said:

You are reducing what Garner does to being one dimensional; I'm not even sure what that means regarding any player. Garner does what he does very well, and if the manager can bring that to being best for the team then that is a good thing.

Well he's talking about his aerial ability, which is one dimension. So yes. I've qualified my point with the fact hopefully Pedro doesn't just mean balls into the box. 

So whenever he doesn't score, which is pretty much all the time, it's because of the system? Yet on the rare occasion he does score it's because he's a good player?

Well fair play to the guy, shite at football but managed to cultivate a myth around himself that exempts him from any blame.